PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Supervised Defenestration

Meddik
04-23-04, 05:19 AM
I almost never get the chance to use the word defenestration, so I'll take this chance to do so...
I can't believe the word never came up in the article.

Slackass journalists.

Quote:Teacher Quits After Girl Thrown Out Window

COVINGTON, Ga. (AP) - A teacher at a Newton County school has resigned after officials say she admitted she told two students to throw a 14-year-old girl from a classroom window.

The teacher, a 63-year-old Conyers resident, was not immediately arrested after the Monday incident, which took place at Sharp Learning Center. But the Newton County Sheriff's Office is investigating.

The student, whose name was not released, was taken to Newton General Hospital on Tuesday night for neck pains and cuts to her body, said Newton County Sheriff's Office investigator Marty Roberts.

According to an incident report by resource officer Brian Chiappetta, the incident took place in the morning during second period. The students were in class when the teacher took a photograph of some of the students, the report said. When the girl asked why the teacher had taken her picture, the teacher allegedly responded with a disparaging remark about the girl's appearance.

The girl became upset and began to use profanity and hit the office assist button on the classroom wall, the incident report said. The teacher then allegedly told two 14-year-old boys to pick up the girl and throw her out the window.

The two boys later told principal Kenneth Daniels that they threw the girl out the window because they did not want to be written up for disobeying a teacher.

The teacher resigned Wednesday, Roberts said.

Roberts said he has been told that the school board will leave it up to the girl's parents to pursue criminal charges against the teacher. But he said his investigation is ongoing.

``I've had incidents involving schools, but I've never heard of such a thing where the teacher instructs students like this,'' Roberts said. Trojan Horseshoes
Need Help coming up with arguments against mine?

Krimzan
04-23-04, 05:56 AM
Bonus points for using the word 'defenestration'. I learned that word from Calvin and Hobbes. I think everything in life truely worth knowing you can learn from Calvin and Hobbes.

Dragynphyre
04-23-04, 05:58 AM
Heck, I got to use antidisestablishmentarianism the other day in a sentence.

People like that shouldn't be teaching our children. I'm glad she will no longer be teaching, and also would like to see the parents of the child press charges. (Back In Black)
Delissandra Splitshadow - Marauder of Clan X
Grandmaster Poisoner (250), Master Potter (195), Grandmaster Lush (200)

Why is it that the last piece I've needed from EVERY armor set, from Ravenscale on up to Stanos' Wicked is the PANTS?
I honestly am beginning to think it's a conspiracy founded by Glip!

EZ_Ciba
04-23-04, 06:58 AM
What story window?

I don't know what's worse. That this happened, or that it probably happened because teachers have gone from being educators to babysitters. In my area, kids act up because there is no credible threat to them if they do.

Some kids get suspended for bringing peanut butter cookies to school. Others get by without punishment for halting the learning process for the rest of their class.

Darkefang
04-23-04, 07:10 AM
I'll bet if teachers threw even a slightly misbehaving student out the window the first day of class, there would be fewer behavior problems in the schools. And I'm only half joking.

EZ_Ignas Atergradus
04-23-04, 08:04 AM
Imagine the nickname that teacher will get, "OOooo you've got Mrs. Whatzhername? The Defenestrator?! You best keep in line in there!"

Meddik
04-23-04, 08:05 AM
That would make a great name for a COH character with knockback abilities. :)

EZ_Grendl Nighthunter
04-23-04, 08:11 AM
/cheer I lernd a nu werd! Grendl Nighthunter[/b]First Rank AssassinMember : Legacy of the CompanionsBristlebane Server

Dragynphyre
04-23-04, 08:13 AM
Still, why would the teacher have taken a picture and said anything to the student that would have gotten the student upset in the first place?

Perhaps the girl was dressed in the current fashion - I know my cousin's stepdaughters are wearing miniskirts and midriff shirts at 13 and 14 while they haven't even got the curves to go with those clothes yet! - and the teacher was seeking to teach her that those are not appropriate school clothes...

Regardless of the reasons the teacher did not handle the situation properly.

EZ_joekreeper1
04-23-04, 08:17 AM
Quote:Regardless of the reasons the teacher did not handle the situation properly. true.... she should have set the girl on fire THEN had here thrown out the window

EZ_LordOfChains
04-23-04, 08:30 AM
Y'know... I'd known of the word "Defenestration" for a while, primarily because the event that started the 30 years war was, among other things, when a couple nobles got tossed out a window... "The Defenestration of Prague"

I'd never thought to actually look the dang word up because the teacher had said "Eh, the reporters didn't know what the hell it meant either."

I find myself enlightened and... morbidly amused by these revelations. Serenitas Diamondeye, 65 Rogue, Aphelion

'Cuz I'm Psycho Like That...

EZ_Mordimer
04-23-04, 10:39 AM
forget the teacher. Sue the two 14 yr old boys. At 14 they should have the common sense to know better than following those orders.

As punishment, give all 3 of them (the 2 boys and the teacher) a street sweeping job in Fallujah for a month. That ought to teach them. =i=Mordimer
Immortal clan
Desert Combat
www.immortaldc.com

EZ_Senn Sei
04-23-04, 12:20 PM
defenestration
Quote:5. The act of completely removing Micro$oft Windows from a PC in favor of a better OS (typically Linux).

That is a straight cut&paste from the Dictionary.com definition... it amuses me to no end

[admittedly: it does print underneath "Source: Jargon File 4.2.0" and it is rather clearly separated from the actual dictionary definition... but it's still amusing!]

edited for improper use of 'its'! My conscience is a grammar nazi ... but not a very effective one, since it doesn't seem to care about capitalization and many other errors... Edited by: Senn Sei at: 4/23/04 12:23 pm

Brelkor
04-23-04, 12:30 PM
Quote: true.... she should have set the girl on fire THEN had here thrown out the window

ahahah

and the M$ thing is awesome too Brelkor the Blackhammer, The Masta Back Stabba, retired rogue

"And it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink
And mother wake me early in the morning "[i]
[i]

EZ_Geidon
04-23-04, 04:52 PM
God I wish my teacher let me throw a few people out of the window back in high school.

Stalk
04-23-04, 06:09 PM
I'm somewhat horrified that two 14 year old boys were willing to throw a girl out a window in order to not be written up for disobeying a child.

Some punishment needs to be taken or something, I don't know exactly what, needs to be done about those kids too. Hurting someone like that would have been unthinkable, and doing it because someone ordered me to would have made me 1) laugh 2) punched the teacher 3) throw the teacher out the window.

*shrug*

Krimzan
04-23-04, 06:12 PM
This means there were larger problems at stake (duh). If they were willing to toss someone out a window because a teacher said to one or more of the following must have been true:
a) There was a bizzare and cruel disciplinary system
b) These kids were messed up to begin with
c) There was no screen and they were on the first floor
d) The girl was really, really annoying.
e) The teacher had mind control eyeballs

I have never known a 14-year old boy who was not willing to disobey a teacher.

Lenilya
04-23-04, 08:17 PM
Quote:willing to throw a girl out a window in order to not be written up for disobeying a child.

might wanna take a look at that line again ^_^ Lenilya Venomcraft - EQ - Emarr - Clan Autumnwood - Retired
Lenilya - FFXI - Cerberus - TheSafehouse Linkshell

Stalk
04-24-04, 12:13 PM
Bleh, meant teacher. Not sure why I wrote child instead.

EZ_Ignas Atergradus
04-26-04, 10:46 AM
Krimzan, I choose the letter e, just because the superhero teacher known as the Defenestrator should have a cool power like mind control eyeballs.

"Stare into my mind control eyeballs... yess.... now... go jump out the window!"