PDA

View Full Version : Mac, Windows

EZ_Yaramir
12-10-03, 02:33 PM
I'm kinda clueless about macs, but I'm also curious.
Is it still true that only macintosh computers can have the mac os (not necessarily, or necessarily X)? And I still can't buy a mac, and then like format it and install windows, or can I?

How does costumizing (hardware) compare between macs and everything that can go with windows.

Finally, why do you prefer windows/macs or macs/windows?

I, personally, HATE the one button mouse and really everything else that I've experienced with macs. But I hear it's good for graphics and/or video editing.

Actually, also, that Jonathan Ive got lots of acclaim for his designs, but I really only like the iPod and the iMac monitor. Nothing else.

Krimzan
12-10-03, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Is it still true that only macintosh computers can have the mac os (not necessarily, or necessarily X)?

Yes, it is true

(Mostly. As per the BSD licence, which OS X is based on, their modifications to the source is publicly available, so you *CAN* compile Darwin for the x86, however the UI, Aqua, is not available, if you didn't follow that, ignore it, the answer is the same, basically)
Quote:
And I still can't buy a mac, and then like format it and install windows, or can I?

No you can't. The Mac's are based on the PowerPC, not the x86. You can, however, run WindowsXP on a mac through an emulator.
Quote:
How does costumizing (hardware) compare between macs and everything that can go with windows.

You don't have too many choices with Mac, on the plus side, what you get from Apple works. No VIA vs Intel chipset issues or anything like that.
Quote:
Finally, why do you prefer windows/macs or macs/windows?

The best answer that can be given is, "It depends..." When I eventually get a laptop, it will be a Mac. I would love a desktop Mac also, however I will always have a PC. I love Mac's because they work. Having worked in computer labs for a while now the Mac labs are significantly less difficult because the damn things just work. (If they don't work, it's either really easy to fix or damn near impossible.) The PC labs, @#%$ happens all the time. I love the Mac UI, I love the way everything works together, I love the continuity, the little things that just make it a unified environment and a pleasure to work in.

I think that, for your use, you will want a PC, however.

Quote:
I, personally, HATE the one button mouse and really everything else that I've experienced with macs. But I hear it's good for graphics and/or video editing.

Umm, well no. Macs are the standard for graphics and video editing, the mice have nothing to do with it. The one button thing is an asthetic choice which, though it pisses me off, I can respect. After using a mac seriously for a while, it is second nature to ctrl+click.

EZ_Bondori Zafiro
12-10-03, 04:24 PM
It really just depends on what you're going to be doing. Krimzan summed up the nice things about macs with "...because the damn things just work." You'll get significantly less problems, and won't have to always be worrying about your computer breaking down.

They aren't perfect though, but they are damn stable. A serious plus if your doing graphics and video work because you don't want to risk it crashing before you were able to save something important.

As for upgrades and stuff, you don't really have a lot of options, but you won’t usually be adding much in. Even the stock iMacs come with airport cards and firewire connections. You'll usually have everything you need already in the mac.

There isn't a large batch of software you can stick on a Mac though, and that's its biggest downfall. You can play EQ and most other games, but it will take awhile until they start making more and more mainstream games available for the mac OS.

I've been eyeballing those 64-bit macs with 8 gigs of ram.... /drool With a student discount it only costs $7,154!! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bon·do·ri
adj.
1. Deviating from what is ordinary, usual, or expected; strange or peculiar.
2. Random and unusual death to sea turtles.
01000011011101010111001001101001011011110111010101 11001100111111* *

EZ_Daton Everon
12-10-03, 06:01 PM
I have a love hate relationship with Macs. I love them for the print graphics work I have to do. I hate them for everything else.

I love them cause *when* they work, they work good. I hate them cause they work good for 30 minutes and work bad for 6 hours. (viscious[sic] cycle) and when that cycle hits on a day where you start the 6 hours of bad time at 8am with a job due at 11am, I really hate them.

Quote:
I love Mac's because they work. Having worked in computer labs for a while now the Mac labs are significantly less difficult because the damn things just work. (If they don't work, it's either really easy to fix or damn near impossible.)

Last sentence is sooooo true.

PsiKoTicK
12-10-03, 08:14 PM
don't make me bring out the mac video again... /nod Veteran Kakarat Doomstalker
65 Barbarian Assassin
Menagerie

EZ_Bondori Zafiro
12-11-03, 03:01 AM
Please do, I must have missed it.

Is it the anti or pro mac propoganda type?

EZ_Yaramir
12-11-03, 07:30 AM
Awesme answers.
but...

I hate them cause they work good for 30 minutes and work bad for 6 hours

??

I've been eyeballing those 64-bit macs with 8 gigs of ram

8 gigs ?!!?

and why are laptops a different story?

Krimzan
12-11-03, 09:00 AM
Yaramir. The advice is: Don't buy a mac, they aren't for you.

EZ_Yaramir
12-11-03, 01:50 PM
Ok, ok, but still curious.

Tandom
12-11-03, 03:41 PM
Quote: I, personally, HATE the one button mouse and really everything else that I've experienced with macs. But I hear it's good for graphics and/or video editing. if I recall the Mac OsX now supports the two (or more) button USB mice

all in all they both crash.

Edit:They pulled the mac movie (I'l look again later)

Windows Movie Edited by: Tandom at: 12/12/03 11:06 am

EZ_Daton Everon
12-11-03, 06:33 PM
I should explain myself better I guess. I've used Macs on True Macintosh Equipment and on Mac Clones (yes they did exist, for a very short time, Starmaxx). I've been using them since Mac OS 7 (I think) and in that time I've learned that Macs work or don't there is no in between. When a scanner goes bad, hard drives can and do crash. (all SCSI)

In my assessment, I am probably being unfair, 6 hours of not working and 30 minutes of working may be a little off base. Let's just call it unfair for now and lower the not working time to a more reasonable number, say maybe 5 hours?

******alk = the devil (someone correct my dood speak please, is it teh debil ?)

******alk printers are greate, but try having one going out the ******alk port and be hooked up to an ethernet network. Share the printer? Can't be done if it is hooked to the ******alk port.

But this is old school macs, I'm sure the newer ones must be better. Mac OS 8 got easier (to crash) and Mac OS 9 improved the Sherlock tool so that you could find anything (that was not a shortcut) easier. And Fonts in Macs are great!! (just don't add any new ones, or all hell breaks loose).

But MAC OS X I have not got to play with yet. So maybe everything got fixed in one big release and should be easy now.

----------------
Just remember: when you go to court, you are trusting your fate to
twelve people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty!

Tandom
12-11-03, 11:21 PM
My understanding is that OS X is now pretty much based on a linux kernel. while still having all that is mac. My school has a Mac lab with about 20 of the lamp-shaped imacs and it seems to be going really well. now of the 20 that they got 2 of them arrived Dead on Arrival but a warranty call later and they were replaced.

As for the shared network printers they are using HP laaserjets (forgot the model but definitely 4000 or higher) and are using them as IP based printing vs ******alk. ( A p p l e t a l k is a bad/filtered word?)

This lab caters to about 200 folks ranging from the guy that was told to "take your mouse and put it over the text. now hold down the button and drag over the line of text to highlight it" - and the instructor had to tell him to "take the mouse off of the monitor and keep it on the desk"

to the folks that use windows on a regular basis

to people that can compile a linux kernel while blindfolded-with only 2 functional pinkies and some sicko pointing a gun at little fluffy, screaming a countdown from 10..9..8..

and it's not had any big problems that I know of and we've been using it since about march which has also included a true freshmen class coming in and going "cool this looks just like that movie i saw last year."

Krimzan
12-12-03, 04:50 AM
OS X is worlds away from the previous versions. I wouldn't have considered using a mac personally until X came out. It is built on the BSD core, and it is way more stable than OS 9 ever was. God having PhotoShop and Illustrator opened at the same time was like tempting fate with 9.

PsiKoTicK
12-12-03, 06:38 AM
hrm, if I can get Aidden to host the mac video, I'll post it... I have no idea where to find it on the net again, I just saved it to my PC... :X

/poke poke Aidden

Tandom
12-12-03, 11:08 AM
I'll host it for a week if aidden want's to host it... it's allyours.

Edited by: Aidden at: 12/13/03 6:11 am

Aidden
12-12-03, 09:07 PM
Mac Video Edited by: Aidden at: 12/13/03 6:10 am

Krimzan
12-13-03, 07:30 AM

EZ_Talius
12-13-03, 09:21 AM
a p p l e l e t is sensored because by doing so it prevents people from loading java apps into their posts, I believe

EZ_Yaramir
12-13-03, 02:43 PM
Thx, all....

Downloading the mac movie now, but yeah, I've seen the windows one before. Bill was embarassed, haha.

Also, found this for those interested...an extensive comparison of XP and MAX OS X:
www.xvsxp.com/

can download everything in a 220 page PDF

Aidden
12-14-03, 04:56 PM
That Windowsmovie is funny, yet very frightening for me.

Although everyone laughs about it on stage, people lose jobs over that type of thing.

My New position at Intel is within Corporate demos and we create and build the demos that the executives use during their Keynotes and world tours.. Having a demo fail like that is a really really bad thing, especially if you dont have a backup you can go to within a second.

We all know stuff fails on computers, but during an executive keynote, its not allowed...

that was also a few years ago.. the entire industry has pretty much changed the way they prep for demonstrations, so you dont see that kinda thing much anymore..