PDA

View Full Version : Email is not the killer of the USPS

Dragynphyre
08-02-06, 12:35 PM
In fact, online merchants' shipping is making up for part of the loss caused by things like email, online billpaying and tax filing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/02/business/02postal.html?ex=1312171200&en=52b177f833b09c0f&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

EXCERPT:
At a recent conference that attracted 15,000 eBay (http://www.nytimes.com/redirect/marketwatch/redirect.ctx?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=EBAY) fanatics to Las Vegas, the main sponsor was a big advocate of online shopping: none other than the United States Postal Service.

“I have one message today for the entire eBay community,” said Postmaster General John E. Potter in a speech to the crowd. “We, the Postal Service, we love you. We love every buyer, every seller, every power seller. Thank you for shipping with the United States Postal Service.”

Brelkor
08-02-06, 01:50 PM
i like to use them because they are cheaper, more reliable that ups, and deliver on saturday no extra charge :)

FarSky
08-02-06, 02:02 PM
The USPS is a blight on the face of this great nation.

Tandom
08-02-06, 02:10 PM
and now what has the US Postal Service done to you far?
inquiring minds wanna know... I wanna know....

Solanar
08-02-06, 03:52 PM
The USPS is a blight on the face of this great nation.

I see...

Greldek
08-02-06, 04:05 PM
I'd like to cancel my mail.

Chromite
08-02-06, 04:13 PM
Sounds like FarSky might be one of those conspiracy theorists...

Solanar
08-02-06, 04:22 PM
I'd like to cancel my mail.

Last month someone put like two weeks worth of junkmail (oops, I can't call it that - "Third Class Mail" - wait, thats another term they moved past - anyway, you know what I mean) back into the outgoing mail with "Refused" and "Return to Sender" and "Stop Wasting Paper!" written on all of it.

Of course, that level of postage doesn't come with return rights. It all got thrown away and the senders never discovered how these people felt about advertisements.

FarSky
08-02-06, 04:23 PM
(oops, I can't call it that - "Third Class Mail" - wait, thats another term they moved past - anyway, you know what I mean)
Boxholders.

Solanar
08-02-06, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I'd call the circulars that, but this was more like - catalogues, and stuff from car dealerships addressed to "Friend of XYZ Ford" and postcards from real estate agents wanting to buy/sell their house...

Greldek
08-02-06, 05:08 PM
My dad kind of likes junkmail, the way he see's it is it fits nicely in a box, then burns nicely when he needs to start a fire in the winter time.

shehab aldean
08-02-06, 05:40 PM
i wish we had mail system as good as USPS ...

Solanar
08-02-06, 05:52 PM
Ha! Admirers! /smug

DarthEnderX
08-02-06, 06:13 PM
The USPS is a blight on the face of this great nation.Impossible! Kevin Costner says it'll be our salvation after world war 3! It must be so!!

Solanar
08-02-06, 06:26 PM
I liked that book the first two times I read it, but last time I read it I was asking myself why I ever enjoyed it.

deuce
08-02-06, 06:47 PM
Last month someone put like two weeks worth of junkmail (oops, I can't call it that - "Third Class Mail" - wait, thats another term they moved past - anyway, you know what I mean) back into the outgoing mail with "Refused" and "Return to Sender" and "Stop Wasting Paper!" written on all of it.

Of course, that level of postage doesn't come with return rights. It all got thrown away and the senders never discovered how these people felt about advertisements.

Open the junkmail take the prepaid envolopes and stick the other junkmail into it and send it on out

DoonBackfighter
08-02-06, 07:08 PM
Open the junkmail take the prepaid envolopes and stick the other junkmail into it and send it on out

Even better if you stick a marble or something similar in there so it costs more for being too thick. :wink

ciba
08-02-06, 07:19 PM
Even better if you stick a marble or something similar in there so it costs more for being too thick. :wink

Or shred the mail first so it confettis when it hits their high-speed openers.

Fricka
08-03-06, 02:16 AM
I liked that book the first two times I read it, but last time I read it I was asking myself why I ever enjoyed it.
David Brin's book is great. What Costner did to it in the movie.... :eek
I talked to Brin at Comic Con two years ago and told him sorry about The Postman movie. He just laughed. Nice guy though, he used to fence and actually responds to emails, I first met him at a Book Festival in the 90s (really good time, met Orson Scott Card and Larry Niven there too).

I have no beef with the USPS, I use them a lot and like the way you can print postage online and get a free confirmation number that way for Priority Mail. Plus, when I was little and had penpals (yes, I was that kind of geek) I didn't realize that the mail was based on weight and not envelope size. When my best friend moved away we used to stuff our envelopes so much that they must've passed some kind of weight limit and would say "Postage Due X cents" on them... but then someone would cross that part out and just deliver them. I think they realized it was "kids" writing to each other.

Cantatus
08-03-06, 03:32 AM
Not really too surprising. The internet is doing hell on snail mail, but has been heaven for shipping. While more and more people are using email and doing billing online, they're also shopping online. It wouldn't surprise me to see the USPS evolve to just be a shipping provider a few years down the line. Of course, at that point, why keep it around if the private sector can do it better? That is, unless it can earn the government a profit.

Solanar
08-03-06, 08:27 AM
Earning a profit is against the USPS charter...they're supposed to charge just enough to not take a loss, since they don't pick up money from other taxes.If they did earn a small profit, it would go right back into the next year and hold off another postage increase.

Seanie Connerie
08-03-06, 08:30 AM
I <3 the USPS. Only decently run government organization, and yes I did <3 it.