PDA

View Full Version : NASA Reports Sabotage of Flight Computer

Loreleli
07-26-07, 02:26 PM
NASA Reports Sabotage of Flight Computer
By MARCIA DUNN

AP Aerospace Writer

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. A space program worker deliberately damaged a computer that is supposed to fly aboard shuttle Endeavour in less than two weeks, an act of sabotage that was caught before the equipment was loaded onto the spaceship, NASA said Thursday.

The unidentified employee, who works for a NASA subcontractor, cut wires inside the computer that is supposed to be delivered to the international space station by Endeavour, said Bill Gerstenmaier, NASA's space operations chief. The worker also damaged a similar computer that was not meant to fly to space.

The sabotage occurred outside Florida. Gerstenmaier did not identify the subcontractor or where the damage took place.

NASA's inspector general office is investigating.

NASA hopes to fix the computer and launch it Aug. 7 as planned aboard Endeavour. The computer is designed for use aboard the space station, not the shuttle, and the damage would have posed no danger to either shuttle or station astronauts, Gerstenmaier said.

___

July 26, 2007 - 4:44 p.m. EDT

=====================

wtf???!!!! unbeleivable.

I say it calls for tar and feathering! what a *&%#&()_!!

Qutsmnie
07-26-07, 02:55 PM
I definately hope they charge him for attempted premeditated murder along with some terrorism charges. Theres been some wierd uses of the terrorism laws, but how is blowing up the space shuttle different than the goals of a terrorist? I think the laws rightfully apply even if he doesnt have contact with a terrorist organization. Basically nail him to the wall for some hard federal time rather then treating it like some wierd white collar stuf.

Bubba
07-26-07, 03:17 PM
I would like to hear more of this story before forming an opion on it. What wires did he cut, how many, could it have been a mistake. What exactly would this box have controlled. Was it a life support system or a scientific experiment he felt he was being robbed of credit for? There are so many what ifs. I hate it that everyone wants to blanket everything under the Terrorism Laws....

I mean I scare people on Halloween, is that Terrorism to???

Bubba

PS From the story...
The computer is designed for use aboard the space station, not the shuttle, and the damage would have posed no danger to either shuttle or station astronauts, Gerstenmaier said.

{edit spelling}

Marbh
07-26-07, 03:38 PM
The employee was heard muttering "going to burn this place down" and "took my stapler".

2nd major news story about a nutty subcontractor to NASA in the last few months.

Nymm
07-26-07, 03:44 PM
Sabotage of a computer on a flight and sabotage of the flight computer are two distinctly and drastically different things.

Bubba
07-26-07, 04:14 PM
The employee was heard muttering "going to burn this place down" and "took my stapler".

:thumb ROFLMFAO!!!:thumb

Qutsmnie
07-26-07, 04:34 PM
Sabotage of a computer on a flight and sabotage of the flight computer are two distinctly and drastically different things.

Doh!

Trolo
07-26-07, 05:48 PM
2nd major news story about a nutty subcontractor to NASA in the last few months.

I don't think astronauts are considered "subcontractors" to NASA. :P

Marbh
07-26-07, 05:59 PM
I don't think astronauts are considered "subcontractors" to NASA. :P

I meant the one who shot went postal with the gun days after the Vtech tragedy, not the loony lady one. But all in all, the mental health of NASA and affiliates is looking shaky, especially after announcing today that several times drunk/hungover astronauts have launched

Trolo
07-26-07, 08:09 PM
Bah--this world is soundly founded on alcohol. It's been powering our civilizations and quieting our melancholies since Mesopotamia. I'm alright with drunk astronauts. Forge the future, get the beer *****!

Nymm
07-26-07, 10:05 PM
Given that astronauts don't do anything more complicated than wet themselves until 2-3 hours after take off...

Ponzi
07-26-07, 10:42 PM
The reality of manned space flight is just settling in. Instead of exploring distant planets they're doing science fair experiments in a decaying closet-sized tube while the robots are finding martian caves.