PDA

View Full Version : In Soviet Russia, Air Conditioner installs You!

Meddik
10-06-08, 04:33 AM
I thought our resident HVAC guys would want to see this. Very interesting pics of how some russian technicians install an air conditioning unit... without the same attitude toward safety that we try to have over here.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=2074

Jaesin
10-06-08, 04:43 AM
Wonder how much vodka it took to overcome that extreme sense of vertigo? And... how he managed to not die with that much alcohol in his system is another mystery entirely.

With that type of mount/location though... how else would it have possible to install such a system? Well, using the requisite harnesses and such would have been a good start...

Brings a whole new appreciation for OHSA :P

deuce
10-06-08, 06:31 AM
That actually is a accetable method in most of the world. South america and japan too. The systems they use are minisplits which have no duct work and just hang the air handler on the wall. They are gaining popularity here as well, but wouldnt be installed in that way do to saftey requirements.

For service, you pull the unit off and put in a different one and repair it back at the shop.

As far as what that guy is doing its a bit crazy I think he put the mounting in the wrong way. I have pics of a guy installing those upside down with two guys holding his legs.

Lilum
10-06-08, 06:40 AM
I emailed that to my district safety coordinator. I expect to see it next month at our anual refresher.

Suzuka
10-06-08, 12:46 PM
Well, the guy is certainly aint scared of heights.

Stalk
10-06-08, 01:32 PM
Well, that looks like fun.

Meddik
10-06-08, 05:08 PM
I emailed that to my district safety coordinator. I expect to see it next month at our anual refresher.

First time I saw that, I missed a U in the last word. Completely changed the meaning...

Lilum
10-06-08, 07:58 PM
It feels like it. Eight hours sitting on folding chairs going over the same crap we went over last year.

Morvran
10-07-08, 09:59 AM
Forget the installer, what about that frigging building?? Holy **** it looks like it was stuck together with modeling clay.

Marbh
10-07-08, 11:06 AM
Forget the installer, what about that frigging building?? Holy **** it looks like it was stuck together with modeling clay.

Those are known as Khrushchev villas, they were all mass built in his administration. Funny enough, the projects in South Chicago had a similar vibe until torn down.

Theres a funny story in Russia that the industrial bureaus bid for contracts, and the concern that built tanks for the army made all the fridges, and a bureau that had only made fences wont the building contract. So they would put up 4 walls and a roof and repeat floor by floor, not really good at constructing building. Eventually the building would collapse and all they would find is bodies and these huge fridges with minor dents, built to withstand American tank shells.

Russians have a sometimes dark but interesting sense of humor.

Here's a few examples I cribbed from wiki. Using spoiler because of content

A Chukcha (indigenous group) sits on the shore of the Bering Strait. An American submarine surfaces. The American captain opens the hatch and asks: "Which way is Alaska?" The Chukcha points his finger: "That way!" "Thanks!" says the American, shouts "South-South-East, bearing 159.5 degrees!" down the hatch and the submarine submerges. Ten minutes later a Soviet submarine emerges. The Russian captain opens the hatch and asks the Chukcha: "Where did the American submarine go?" The Chukcha replies: "South-South-East bearing 159.5 degrees!" "Don't be a smart-ass," says the captain, "just point with your finger!"

A Russian and an American are sentenced to Hell. The Devil summons them and says: "Guys, you have 2 options: an American or Russian hell. In the American one you can do what you want, but you'll have to eat a bucket of **** every morning. The Russian one is the same, but it's 2 buckets." The Yankee quickly makes up his mind and goes to American Hell, while the Russian eventually chooses the Russian one. In a week or so they meet. The Russian asks: "So, what's it like out there?"/ "Exactly what the devil said, the Hell itself is OK, but eating a bucket of **** is killing me. And you?" / "Ah, it feels like home - either the **** was not delivered or there aren't enough buckets for everyone!"

An old woman stands in the market with a "Chernobyl mushrooms for sale" sign. A man goes up to her and asks, "Hey, what are you doing? Who's going to buy Chernobyl mushrooms?" And she tells him, "Why, lots of people. Some for their boss, others for their mother-in-law..."

Lilum
10-07-08, 11:27 AM
I swear I had one of those fridges once. Thing was five feet tall, three feet wide, you could only put one half gallong container of ice cream in the freezer it was so small, but the thing wieghed four times as much as my current fridge. The only way we could move it was to cut up a couple of broom sticks and roll them along like the rocks at Stone Henge.

Nyssa
10-07-08, 11:31 PM
Holy sheet!
Although I think that no one else is as "safety oriented" as the US because no one else is as sue happy as we are. I used to work for a major construction company and the safety reports and write ups I saw...some were just SO c.y.a.

Trolo
10-08-08, 11:37 AM
Official badass.