PDA

View Full Version : Worst birthday gift I've ever gotten

Dragynphyre
08-14-09, 06:43 AM
A phone call from my mom telling me that she found our pet cockatiel Opal dead on the bottom of her cage this morning after I left for work.

She hopped up on my shoulder in the pet store, and I fell in love. I brought her home with me on what was one of the coldest January days ever, about 10 years ago.

I'm going to miss her. Even if she could be very loud and demanding, and chewed and pooped on everything, she was still a total snugglebum.

injijo
08-14-09, 08:55 AM
A phone call from my mom telling me that she found our pet cockatiel Opal dead on the bottom of her cage this morning after I left for work.

She hopped up on my shoulder in the pet store, and I fell in love. I brought her home with me on what was one of the coldest January days ever, about 10 years ago.

I'm going to miss her. Even if she could be very loud and demanding, and chewed and pooped on everything, she was still a total snugglebum.

That sucks. I comiserate, my bday was sucky this year too. For my birthday this year my (now ex) girlfriend decided to start doing cocaine and extasy and blow me off for 3 days in favor of a drug bender. I thought she was dead or something since she was unreachable for 3 days including my entire birthday and none of her family/ friends knew where she was.

notwen
08-15-09, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your pet. Always hurts to lose one. Some people really don't understand how close you grow to them...

My Wife had emergency gall bladder surgery on her birthday this year. It sucked. What's with birthdays sucking this year?

Biggwin
08-17-09, 11:59 AM
We currently are petless at this moment because I refuse to get another one.

First bird little boy thought he needed some exercise and took him outside approximately 2 days after clipping it's wings but she flew like the wind. I was about 3 steps behind. Trying to catch up.

Next one was my oldest. No way to say that but they had a bond. He was like a pirate. Always had that bird on him in some way shape or form. If he took nap the bird will sleep on his stomach while he slept. Well one day he came crying to me because the bird was flopping around on the floor and it just died.

Shortly after that we replaced that one with another. He was the most playful and fun bird we ever owned. This one was on my shoulder for about 3 hours after work one day. He hopped down my arm to my desk and fell over dead.

We tested for all sorts of stuff in the home and could find nothing or any reason for the last 2 birds dying but I just don't have the heart to go through that again :(

Koru
08-17-09, 03:27 PM
Sorry to hear about your pet, that's really gotta suck :-( /hug

Ryujee
08-17-09, 03:59 PM
I have not been a pet owner since the 6th grade, my mother gave away our dog because she was "too much work". Despite this, or maybe because of this, i understand pet owners. They are like your children, except they probably crap he floor and the couch LESS than my kids do.

With a dog (my pet of choice) you ALWAYS know exactly where you stand with them. There is never any doubt, no surprises and no bull. They treat you in a pretty much karma-inspired way. Treat them harshly and they will piss on your bedsheets and possibly bite at you. Treat them well and they will sacrifice everything to keep you happy and safe.

Cats are a different story, to use the con system from EQ1 you always start off "glares at you threateningly" with any one of them past the kitty stage. You have to be a seriously selfless, loving, caring saint of a person to a cat to even get to "warmly" with a cat.

Sadly, there are few people who adhere to that line of reasoning, i have had too many people screw me over after sacrificing for them. Animals? Not a single time in my 32 years here.

Oddly enough the quip posted at the top right corner of the page, which changes with every page you visit, reads as follows...

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between dog and man" - Mark Twain

Drole Defiantdagger
08-22-09, 12:17 AM
On my thirteenth birthday, there was a loud banging on our door. I opened the door to find our pet cat in a golden retriever's mouth (whose owners were still standing out at the street yelling at their dog...). There was blood splattered everywhere, I immediately slammed the door and called for my parents.

Our cat ended up with a broken leg, and some gashes. The dog however died due to severe slashes in his throat (and our cat only had his back claws). The owners fought with my parents for days and tried to sue them. They promptly lost for not having their dog on a leash which was required where we lived.

That's one of the worst birthday/Christmas memories I have. I feel for you and yours, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Toprem
08-22-09, 10:22 AM
On my thirteenth birthday, there was a loud banging on our door. I opened the door to find our pet cat in a golden retriever's mouth (whose owners were still standing out at the street yelling at their dog...). There was blood splattered everywhere, I immediately slammed the door and called for my parents.

Our cat ended up with a broken leg, and some gashes. The dog however died due to severe slashes in his throat (and our cat only had his back claws). The owners fought with my parents for days and tried to sue them. They promptly lost for not having their dog on a leash which was required where we lived.

That's one of the worst birthday/Christmas memories I have. I feel for you and yours, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Eh? How the **** could they even attempt to sue you? Someone should have grabbed something and beat the dog to death right then and there, Im amazed that the cat actually killed it.

injijo
08-23-09, 12:27 AM
Eh? How the **** could they even attempt to sue you? Someone should have grabbed something and beat the dog to death right then and there, Im amazed that the cat actually killed it.

When I was wee the neighbor's beagle got lose and was in my backyard where it attacked my cat. I watched my cat killed the beagle with even getting scratched. There are definatly some dangerously badass cats out there.

Ryujee
08-23-09, 02:36 AM
Cats are not to be trifled with, you have to remember what they are and what they come from, at all times. Pet one for too long an they will claw/bite/mangle the offending appendage. Some claim it's because of over-stimulation...but we all know better. Those little furry bastards are manic depressive, bipolar murder machines.

I'd respect them more if they weren't so tasty...

shehab aldean
08-23-09, 03:24 AM
you could return it to the store

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE

notwen
08-23-09, 04:36 AM
When I was wee the neighbor's beagle got lose and was in my backyard where it attacked my cat. I watched my cat killed the beagle with even getting scratched. There are definatly some dangerously badass cats out there.

This is why domesticated cats the size of a loaf of bred, while some dogs are nearly the size of a donkey. A cat the size of an average dog is just a scary thought.

Trolo
08-23-09, 09:52 AM
Except for lions, who tackle some of the world's largest prey, cats are solitary hunters. Wild dogs hunt in packs. A single dog will never be a match for a cat the same size.

Drole Defiantdagger
08-23-09, 08:20 PM
I was expecting a, "They are the most ferocious killers in the domesticated animal kingdom"...

Dragynphyre
08-24-09, 05:37 AM
My cat Velvet was actually afraid of Opal. It was pretty funny watching them staring each other down. Every time Velvet would even twitch, Opal would spread her wings and hiss. Velvet would back off, and eventually lose interest.

Ryujee
08-24-09, 03:06 PM
funny to see a cat lose at his own game of B.S. isn't it? you know how they arch their back and hiss to appear larger and meaner.

FarSky
08-25-09, 06:01 AM
I was expecting a, "They are the most ferocious killers in the domesticated animal kingdom"...

Ha! Win.

So long as they don't have to go up against a big fsckin' spider...

Ryujee
08-25-09, 02:58 PM
or worse, the Terrorantumunk from Xynn's Archnids! post...

Stalk
08-26-09, 06:38 PM

Uh, why? The dog didn't do anything wrong.

Xynn
08-26-09, 08:55 PM
or worse, the Terrorantumunk from Xynn's Archnids! post...

Dont speak its name! It only gives it power, and calls it! :shudder

Ryujee
08-26-09, 11:10 PM
Terrorantumunk! Terrorantumunk! Terrorantumunk! Power? Bah! Nothing happened, exactly as i expected...you superstitious primitives. What's next, human sacrifices to appease your pagan gods? HAHAHAHA! Haha...what was that noise?

*SPLORTCH*

ARRRRRGH! My arm! It has my arm! Gititoffgittitoffgittitoffgittitoffgittitoff!!!!

Toprem
08-29-09, 01:25 PM
Uh, why? The dog didn't do anything wrong.

So you'd just stand there **** in hand as someone elses animal was trying to kill yours?

Ryujee
08-29-09, 11:22 PM
Damn it, Stalk, why do you do this to me? You force me to side with Top...

The dog didn't do anything wrong? He was off his leash, which was required by law in that area. The dog had a kicking, bleeding cat in its mouth, and i bet they weren't just acting out a bite fantasy.

Seriously? the dog did nothing wrong? *sighs*

Pets are generally treated as property, unless you mistreat them (at which point they have more rights than we do*), by law Drole could of picked up a fire extinguisher and turned the dog's brain into a fine paste. On his property, destroying his property, and in violation of the all-mighty leash law.

God, i feel so dirty now...

*obviously, it is hyperbole, they don't get more rights but the jail time and fines you get for animal cruelty are not to be sneered at.

SincroFashad
08-30-09, 12:22 AM
*obviously, it is hyperbole, they don't get more rights but the jail time and fines you get for animal cruelty are not to be sneered at.

Just ask Michael Vick!

Jhani Vandolay
08-30-09, 03:29 AM
acting out a bite fantasy.

I laughed.

Stalk
08-30-09, 06:38 AM

The dog didn't do anything wrong? He was off his leash, which was required by law in that area. The dog had a kicking, bleeding cat in its mouth, and i bet they weren't just acting out a bite fantasy.

Seriously? the dog did nothing wrong? *sighs*

Pets are generally treated as property, unless you mistreat them (at which point they have more rights than we do*), by law Drole could of picked up a fire extinguisher and turned the dog's brain into a fine paste. On his property, destroying his property, and in violation of the all-mighty leash law.

God, i feel so dirty now...

Nothing in this post points to the dog doing anything wrong. Everything in this post points to the OWNERS doing something wrong. You would beat a dog to death, for doing what is NATURAL for a CARNIVORE!!!! Unless TRAINED otherwise?

So you'd just stand there **** in hand as someone elses animal was trying to kill yours?

No, but I would not be beating the dog to death. I would be giving the OWNER a nice, long beating. Second, FFS, the cat was loose too. If you choose to have an outdoor cat, you also are relinquishing your rights, just like the dog owners do when they have their dogs offleash. Cats are amazingly destructive to the ecosystem.

Do you blink when your cat kills birds, rats, gophers, and countless other stuff while outdoors? Guess what's on a dog's prey list.

Again, the dog did nothing wrong. The owners ****ed up by having their dog off leash, and drole ****ed up by not keeping his cat indoors.

Ryujee
08-30-09, 03:49 PM
On MY property + destroying MY property = ?

Stalk, that's pretty much an universal standard for "something wrong", even if it comes naturally to a carnivore. Back July 8th of 2007, a pitbull went into a home and proceeded to do "what comes naturally" during that time of the year, to a 2 year old toddler. Believe me, i wish i meant "bite the crap out of".

**Warning: Even though the article is devoid of graphic images and crude language, i would still not open this on a computer monitored by others...people jump to conclusions when they see "dog sexually assaults baby" in a browser history.**

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=49447

I do realize this is an extreme case, only one that i could find of its type, but it shows that just because it comes naturally doesn't mean it's okay.

Stalk
08-30-09, 10:53 PM
On MY property + destroying MY property = ?

Stalk, that's pretty much an universal standard for "something wrong", even if it comes naturally to a carnivore. Back July 8th of 2007, a pitbull went into a home and proceeded to do "what comes naturally" during that time of the year, to a 2 year old toddler. Believe me, i wish i meant "bite the crap out of".

**Warning: Even though the article is devoid of graphic images and crude language, i would still not open this on a computer monitored by others...people jump to conclusions when they see "dog sexually assaults baby" in a browser history.**

http://www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=49447

I do realize this is an extreme case, only one that i could find of its type, but it shows that just because it comes naturally doesn't mean it's okay.

Again. The fact that the dog was allowed, by his owners, to do what is legally wrong, means the fault lies in the owner, not the dog. Beating the dog to death, as Toprem suggested, would be the most astoundingly idiotic thing I can conceive in the world. A dog that attacks, sexually or viciously, a human needs to be put down for the safety of the populance. A dog that attacks a cat, however, does not need to be put down. That is not a vicious dog, it is a normal dog. In both cases, the owners are at fault, and in only one of these cases should a dog's life be in debate.

A dog on your property destroying your property is not grounds for slaughter. Why this is so hard to conceive is beyond me. Maybe you are trying to apply moral standards to an amoral being. Maybe you are granting dogs the intelligence of having made some kind of moral decision when attacking a cat. I don't know. But seriously? You guys are justifying beating a dog to death because it's owners were idiots? Misplaced aggression much?

Lilum
08-31-09, 03:01 AM
So if one of your dogs gets attacked you're going to let the dogs continue to fight it out while you go look for the other dog's owner to tell him what a bad job he's done training his pet? Me I'm hoping I have my steel toes on at the time and kicking the other dog in the head until it's the consistency of pudding, and worrying about the owner later. No matter whose fault it is the dog is paying the price for attacking my pet, or family.

Ryujee
08-31-09, 03:08 AM
Again. The fact that the dog was allowed, by his owners, to do what is legally wrong, means the fault lies in the owner, not the dog. Beating the dog to death, as Toprem suggested, would be the most astoundingly idiotic thing I can conceive in the world. A dog that attacks, sexually or viciously, a human needs to be put down for the safety of the populance. A dog that attacks a cat, however, does not need to be put down. That is not a vicious dog, it is a normal dog. In both cases, the owners are at fault, and in only one of these cases should a dog's life be in debate.

A dog on your property destroying your property is not grounds for slaughter. Why this is so hard to conceive is beyond me. Maybe you are trying to apply moral standards to an amoral being. Maybe you are granting dogs the intelligence of having made some kind of moral decision when attacking a cat. I don't know. But seriously? You guys are justifying beating a dog to death because it's owners were idiots? Misplaced aggression much?

Inconceivable!!!

Aside from movies like Cujo and Tom and Jerry cartoons i have not seen much of the "dogs chase cats" behavior you're relying so heavy on here. Most often i see them share space and be oddly civil to each other...as long as the food supply supports them both. Chase off of territory? Sure, all the time, the chase stops when the intruder is off the dog's piss plot. But i have yet to see dog eat a cat, ever.

Most pet owners i know treat their pets like family, and regardless of what you may think, most people would take a chainsaw to an offending animal if it had a "family member" in its jaws without so much as a first thought...much less a second.

Maybe it's just the way i see things because i live in Anchorage, Alaska. We have around 280k people here in the municipal area...we also brown bear, grizzly bear, wolves, foxes and moose. Walking out of my front door in wintertime has a very real chance of putting me face to face with something that could kill me just because i startled it.

Any creature that hunts an area and has success tends to hunt there again. I nip that crap right in the bud, i am not willing to risk a return visit from ANY animal that is large enough to pose a threat to my children. There's not much difference between a 7 month old crawling in the yard and a fat house cat strolling through the yard, size-wise.

You may call it misplaced aggression, and you may be right, but i prefer the term "proactive paranoia". I just don't take those kinds of risks when it comes to my children, and if you don't dig the way i think you can go hug a sea-kitten. >:p

Pearll
08-31-09, 03:30 AM
Maybe it's just the way i see things because i live in Anchorage, Alaska. We have around 280k people here in the municipal area...we also brown bear, grizzly bear, wolves, foxes and moose. Walking out of my front door in wintertime has a very real chance of putting me face to face with something that could kill me just because i startled it.
QFT

Scary is not paying enough attention and ending up just a few yards away from a moose hidden by fence and trees. I love living in Anchorage partially because we have wildlife sharing the same space as us, but it sure can give you one hell of a fright.

Ryujee
08-31-09, 03:43 AM
Best moose encounter, ever? Buddy of mine and i were walking a bike trail, the stretch between Woodside and Goose Lake one day. If you're familiar with the trail you know that between Woodside and Lake Otis, the trail is elevated to keep it from flooding in the spring. Anyways, i hear a crack in the woods to my right, i look over and all i see is a wall of brown with a glassy black dot on it.

Wait...it's keeping up with us walking, and 'it' blinked. CRAP! Keep in mind, we're a foot off higher than the surrounding area and i am making eye contact with a LOT of moose meat. Eventually she slows down and we get a distance ahead before she climbs on to the trail. I say she because about 5 seconds after she climbed up...her calf followed. Yeah, we were THAT close to getting our asses ground into hoof-polish.

So we walk on, counting our blessings that little moosey decided to hang back, warning every person we passed of what was on the trail. We were passed by no less than 4 dog owners with yippy ones on leashes.

Surround a mother moose with calf in tow...with yippy dogs? Brilliant! Nothing can go wrong here!

We left before mama moose declared open season on dumbasses and pets.

By the way, not to sound TOO stalker-ish (breathes heavily...) what part of Anchor-Town are you in? The family and i live in Mountain View, though i am Fairview raised.

Koru
08-31-09, 05:06 AM
I don't think any reasonable pet owner would blame someone for trying to retrieve their pet that looks to be alive out of the jaws of someone else's pet, even if that may cause damage to the pet who's jaws are now being pried apart. Now I wouldn't call it a sensible plan to try to get your cat out of a strange dog's mouth since that's not what I'd consider remotely safe, but I would certainly understand it on an emotional level and not blame the owner for reacting in such a way. People do seem to treat their pets almost like children, a instinct to just lunge in to save their pet, I can understand it. If there's a chance to save it. Now if the owner of the dog is just standing by while the cat is being used as a chew toy, well, that's never going to go over well. Either you're boss enough that you can get that animal out of the pet's mouth, which might be a very sensible plan for your dog's safety if the other animal's owner is seeing their still living animal there... or poor Fluffy, despite being a 'big character' to the rest of your family, is most likely going to the big doggie playyard in the sky. Just as it's understandable that a dog has a prey drive, it's understandable that pet owners feels very protective towards their animal - sometimes to a point where the rest of us are going 'oh for ****'s sake'.

If it's clearly dead then well, not much more you can do. So no, at that point if you try to remove the cat forcibly from the dog's mouth... not a good idea and well... it's dead, it's not like it can get more dead by waiting for the dog to let go or for you to get the owner to control the animal to retrieve the carcass.

Drole Defiantdagger
08-31-09, 05:52 AM
Yeah, he was definitely an inside cat. (He had gotten out into our back yard... I think I mentioned this in another topic but our dog was exceptional at opening the sliding door, not so much for closing it...)

Now obviously I didn't beat the **** out of the animal or anything. But on that subject, living in the same house, we had people next to us with an albino wolf mix of some sort.

That dog bit the nose off their three year old. The police put that dog down on the spot (while fighting off the owners).

I'm sorry, but an animal that causes harm to other animals or endangers human life forfeits it's right to live. We keep domesticated animals, not wild, uncontrollable ones.

Yes, this can be blamed on the owner's neglect, but it doesn't make the situation any less true.

Ryujee
08-31-09, 06:02 AM
Ah, yes...the snout of a nose. From "talk me out of this". Yeah, i fee la bit dumb now, didn't even realize it was the same person *hangs head in shame*. my bad...

Stalk
08-31-09, 06:22 AM
So if one of your dogs gets attacked you're going to let the dogs continue to fight it out while you go look for the other dog's owner to tell him what a bad job he's done training his pet? Me I'm hoping I have my steel toes on at the time and kicking the other dog in the head until it's the consistency of pudding, and worrying about the owner later. No matter whose fault it is the dog is paying the price for attacking my pet, or family.

Sir, I don't think these things are like you imagine them to be. My dogs HAVE been attacked before. It never required "beating the other dog to death". It required getting the dogs under control by separating them. The only way to "beat a dog to death" is by some sick and disgusting post-catalyst abuse. Perhaps people here conceive themselves able to kill a dog with a punch or two or something, I do not know. That is laughably idiotic. By the time you're ever in a position to harm the dog, the fight (whether in between dogs, cats, or other wild animals) would be long since over and under control. So you would just be acting out some misplaced revenge, not protecting those you may have lost.

When my dogs have gotten into a fight, I get the fight under control, and once it is under control, I go talk to the owners. Why it is you people's first reaction to kill an animal, is beyond me. This is civility, not some kind of barbariac world of the past.

Aside from movies like Cujo and Tom and Jerry cartoons i have not seen much of the "dogs chase cats" behavior you're relying so heavy on here. Most often i see them share space and be oddly civil to each other...as long as the food supply supports them both. Chase off of territory? Sure, all the time, the chase stops when the intruder is off the dog's piss plot. But i have yet to see dog eat a cat, ever.

It's not "dogs chase cats" behavior. It's PREY DRIVE. ALL dogs have this in one form or another, unless raised around cats. My dog, Kobe, has a nutty prey drive. However, he has been around cats all his life. When my cats run away from him, he bolts right after them and stops them with his mouth. Once he is stopped, he looks around confused unsure of what he was doing. Why you question whether dogs have prey drive is difficult for me to comprehend. Maybe you only see dogs under control (leashed) and the only other ones are your neighborhood friendly ones raised around cats. I don't know. But dogs with prey drive is the norm, dogs without is the oddity.

You may call it misplaced aggression, and you may be right, but i prefer the term "proactive paranoia". I just don't take those kinds of risks when it comes to my children, and if you don't dig the way i think you can go hug a sea-kitten. >:p

You are not taking any risks, when the event is under control. I am confused, again, why in the scenario outlined above where the owners of the dog are clearly at fault, you are willing to get the fight under control, stop, then beat the dog to death afterwards, but are unwilling to "take a chainsaw" to the owners who are the ones at fault for not leashing their dog.

Or are you just one of those people who are all big and tough, getting off on beating defenseless animals when there's no legal or, for some god damned reason, moral consequence to it, instead of taking your fight to the owners who allowed their animal to kill yours? I mean really. It is disgusting that you guys are willing to slaughter an animal, but unwilling to slaughter the owners who are at fault. Not that I advocate "beating the owners to death" or "taking a chainsaw to them". But really, if you're going to do either, don't be a ball-less coward and do it to the right person.

Now obviously I didn't beat the **** out of the animal or anything. But on that subject, living in the same house, we had people next to us with an albino wolf mix of some sort.

That dog bit the nose off their three year old. The police put that dog down on the spot (while fighting off the owners).

I'm sorry, but an animal that causes harm to other animals or endangers human life forfeits it's right to live. We keep domesticated animals, not wild, uncontrollable ones.

Yes, this can be blamed on the owner's neglect, but it doesn't make the situation any less true.

I have never once disagreed with the scenario. Dogs are domesticated animals, and if they don't act as such, they need to be removed from the human population. It is a sad fact, but it is true. However, domesticated means t hat they have been trained for thousands of years to live and get along with humans. Prey such as cats, mice, birds, etc are a whole different ballgame. They have NOT been bred to get along with those.

Lilum
08-31-09, 08:04 AM
You are comparing people and animals that is why I'm not willing to beat a human. And it's not some deranged revenge fantasy it's preventative medicine. A dog that will attack my cat is a dog that could/may attack my child.

Ryujee
08-31-09, 08:21 AM
Sir, I don't think these things are like you imagine them to be. My dogs HAVE been attacked before. It never required "beating the other dog to death". It required getting the dogs under control by separating them. The only way to "beat a dog to death" is by some sick and disgusting post-catalyst abuse. Perhaps people here conceive themselves able to kill a dog with a punch or two or something, I do not know. That is laughably idiotic. By the time you're ever in a position to harm the dog, the fight (whether in between dogs, cats, or other wild animals) would be long since over and under control. So you would just be acting out some misplaced revenge, not protecting those you may have lost.

When my dogs have gotten into a fight, I get the fight under control, and once it is under control, I go talk to the owners. Why it is you people's first reaction to kill an animal, is beyond me. This is civility, not some kind of barbariac world of the past.

It's not "dogs chase cats" behavior. It's PREY DRIVE. ALL dogs have this in one form or another, unless raised around cats. My dog, Kobe, has a nutty prey drive. However, he has been around cats all his life. When my cats run away from him, he bolts right after them and stops them with his mouth. Once he is stopped, he looks around confused unsure of what he was doing. Why you question whether dogs have prey drive is difficult for me to comprehend. Maybe you only see dogs under control (leashed) and the only other ones are your neighborhood friendly ones raised around cats. I don't know. But dogs with prey drive is the norm, dogs without is the oddity.

You are not taking any risks, when the event is under control. I am confused, again, why in the scenario outlined above where the owners of the dog are clearly at fault, you are willing to get the fight under control, stop, then beat the dog to death afterwards, but are unwilling to "take a chainsaw" to the owners who are the ones at fault for not leashing their dog.

Or are you just one of those people who are all big and tough, getting off on beating defenseless animals when there's no legal or, for some god damned reason, moral consequence to it, instead of taking your fight to the owners who allowed their animal to kill yours? I mean really. It is disgusting that you guys are willing to slaughter an animal, but unwilling to slaughter the owners who are at fault. Not that I advocate "beating the owners to death" or "taking a chainsaw to them". But really, if you're going to do either, don't be a ball-less coward and do it to the right person.

I have never once disagreed with the scenario. Dogs are domesticated animals, and if they don't act as such, they need to be removed from the human population. It is a sad fact, but it is true. However, domesticated means t hat they have been trained for thousands of years to live and get along with humans. Prey such as cats, mice, birds, etc are a whole different ballgame. They have NOT been bred to get along with those.

Inconceivable!!!

I have not mentioned actions against the owners, come to think about it...i have not mentioned them at all. They are, up to the point that originally got your panties in a wad, not active members in the scenario. They're in the street, that's a good 15-25 feet from the scenario being discussed.

Prey drive, chase cat, cruise control...call it what you want, doesn't change the fact that aside from "Fetch" i don't think i have ever seen it. I never questioned its existence, i only stated that it has not been something i have observed with enough regularity to merit a cat attack.

Also, i don't believe i ever mentioned killing anything or anyone AFTER a situation is under control, that would be silly. In Drole's original post, the cat and dog were still actively engaged, blood everywhere, cat kicking...that's chaos, not a controlled enviroment, thus there is risk. Toprem's posts both state immediate action as well, not a delayed calculated 'murder' of an animal.

Nice of you to keep quoting the chainsaw comment out of context, but do try and read the words after it.

*most people would take a chainsaw to an offending animal if it had a "family member" in its jaws *

Again, it doesn't just imply, it outright states an immediate reaction (though i don't know too many people who tote a fueled chainsaw around on a daily basis). While i did leave out "writhing in agony", i thought that ALIVE would be assumed. This all started over a cat, but it sure as hell wasn't Schrodinger's, there was no uncertainty to the state of life of said feline.

Feel free to call me all the names you want...sticks and stones will break my bones but the internet will never hurt me (except emotionally...but we all know about Tubgirl already). The deliberate, calculated, cold-blooded killing of an animal was not brought up by anyone. Well, anyone aside from you. I have no desire to kill anything i am not going to eat, that's why i dislike fishing with my stepdad...i catch 2 and am done, for the year.

You assume way too much, Stalk, you're jumping from what was understood to be the current tense to a future tense. Often. To be clear, i don't beat defenseless animals, that's what anti-freeze is for*. Furthermore, to call 65 pounds of teeth and muscle "defenseless" is laughable. While lacking the same bite power as a pit bull or shepherd, a goldie can deliver a hell of a bite and you wont go anywhere they don't LET you. I've played tug-of-war with enough goldies to know that is a fight i am NOT going to win easily, if at all.

I don't mind being told i am wrong, i am man enough to admit i am flawed, but don't invent stuff up on the spot. If you're going to engage in a debate i humbly implore that you stay on the same page as the rest of us.

* Obviously, the anti-freeze comment was meant only to get under Stalk's skin, only a total smeg head would do such a thing.

Talius
08-31-09, 09:10 AM
The deliberate, calculated, cold-blooded killing of an animal was not brought up by anyone.

Except Toprem, when he said:
Someone should have grabbed something and beat the dog to death right then and there

To which you followed with:

Suggesting that you agreed with Toprem's suggestion.

That is all that Stalk has taken issue with: Toprem's usual Troll-based internet tough guy knee-jerk response.

Ryujee
08-31-09, 09:39 AM
Except Toprem, when he said:

To which you followed with:

Suggesting that you agreed with Toprem's suggestion.

That is all that Stalk has taken issue with: Toprem's usual Troll-based internet tough guy knee-jerk response.

Whoops, you're right, my bad. So Top did mention killing the dog, but in your own words it was a knee-jerk response from him. That hardly qualifies for deliberate or calculated.

Of course i had to agree with Top there, 2 legged, 4 legged, 8 legged, i don't care...you threaten me or mine and you have to go. With that said, i think a lot more agree than dare be associated with him >.<

Pearll
08-31-09, 09:49 AM
By the way, not to sound TOO stalker-ish (breathes heavily...) what part of Anchor-Town are you in? The family and i live in Mountain View, though i am Fairview raised.Near the Huffman area.

Ryujee
08-31-09, 10:00 AM
Kewl beanz! I have a friend whose house we play D&D at over in your neck of the woods, i hope i have not cut you off in traffic before. I sort of drive like an ass >.<

Stalk
08-31-09, 11:33 AM
You are comparing people and animals that is why I'm not willing to beat a human. And it's not some deranged revenge fantasy it's preventative medicine. A dog that will attack my cat is a dog that could/may attack my child.

Oh. My. God.

You did NOT just say that.

Ho-ly ****. That's just a-may-zing.

Just out of curiousity. When you look at a cat that chased down mice, birds, etc and kill, eat them. Did you look at it and go, wow, that cat might kill my baby, I'm gonna kill it!

No. A dog is DOMESTICATED. Domesticated means they were made to live along with HUMANS. Nowhere in this equation did other animals come into play. Aidden's dogs likely can hunt and retreive ducks with the best of 'em, and I would gladly trust any kids I may have around his dogs.

It is astounding anyone can be so ignorant about dogs, when they live in what? 50% of the houses in America? Geezus. Most dogs would catch a wild animal and kill it given half a chance, much like cats. That has nothing, NOTHING, whatsoever to do with humans.

Inconceivable!!!

I have not mentioned actions against the owners, come to think about it...i have not mentioned them at all. They are, up to the point that originally got your panties in a wad, not active members in the scenario. They're in the street, that's a good 15-25 feet from the scenario being discussed.

That's where your confusion is. The fact that the owners had the dog off leash, 100% absolutely legally, morally, and anything that ends with "lly", is completely and utterly their fault. The dog that attacked the cat, is not subject to the morals of humans. Subduing the dog, I have no issue with. Stopping it, violently forcing your cat out of it's mouth, etc. Yes, that is reasonable. Killing it? no. The people to be punished in this situation is the owners, the dog is the victim. If my own dog attacked someone's animal, I would pay the price for it. Not because of something silly like the being more important than humans. But because I am the one responsible for him, and I am the one who allowed my dog to be in a situation to harm another.

Prey drive, chase cat, cruise control...call it what you want, doesn't change the fact that aside from "Fetch" i don't think i have ever seen it. I never questioned its existence, i only stated that it has not been something i have observed with enough regularity to merit a cat attack.

Your observation is silly. Fetch is a prey drive. Schutzhund dogs are trained using their prey drive. Greyhound racing is using prey drive. Hunting dogs use prey drive. Sled dogs use prey drive. So let's see. Herding dogs use prey drive. So let's see. In all these sports, the popular dogs would be as follows: German Shepherds, Labrador Retreivers, Pit Bulls, Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, various collies, Greyhounds, Pointers, Belgian Malinoises. Wow, all of which are the most popular breeds in the USA!! And combined, probably make up over 75% of household dogs!! That sure is a lot of dogs with prey drive.

Here's a test for you. Go to the dog park with a squirrel. Drop it in the middle of the park. Watch how many chase! And after you do that, try to make it to your car as the angry dog owners are chasing you screaming bloody murder.

[quotr]
Also, i don't believe i ever mentioned killing anything or anyone AFTER a situation is under control, that would be silly. In Drole's original post, the cat and dog were still actively engaged, blood everywhere, cat kicking...that's chaos, not a controlled enviroment, thus there is risk. Toprem's posts both state immediate action as well, not a delayed calculated 'murder' of an animal.[/quote]

The only way to kill a dog in that situation is to do it after the situation is controlled. Dogs are not so fragile you can kill them so easily. I mean seriously, there's probably a dog fight 1-2 times a day at the dog park. We break it up all the time, and safely. Unless the dog is posessed by satan himself, it is a simple matter to break up a fight with dogs. ****, I've seen 120 pound women break up a fight between a 100 pound Lab and a 90 pound pit bull with ease, and safely. If that doesn't tell you anything, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you guys have never broken up a dog fight before or something. It's possible you guys think it's like breaking up world war 2 or something. I have no idea, it would explain a lot of the misconception here. But I can break up a fight between 2 100 pound dogs blindfolded. It is not rocket science, and it is not very dangerous.

*most people would take a chainsaw to an offending animal if it had a "family member" in its jaws *

Again, it doesn't just imply, it outright states an immediate reaction (though i don't know too many people who tote a fueled chainsaw around on a daily basis). While i did leave out "writhing in agony", i thought that ALIVE would be assumed. This all started over a cat, but it sure as hell wasn't Schrodinger's, there was no uncertainty to the state of life of said feline.

Yes, most people would do whatever it takes to protect their animals. Let me illustrate something for you. One time, my puppy, Priscilla got attacked by someone's dog while on a walk. My dog was leashed, theirs was not. Do you know what I did? I took a cha-- er no, no I did not do that. Being the sensible person I am, in my panic my first immedate reaction was to grab the dog from behind, where the back legs were, and the furthest point from it's mouth. I lifted his legs up, which made him turn from Priscilla, then I gave him a good ol' toss.

Then I body blocked him from my dog. Once that was accomplished, and the owner got control of their dog. Guess who was on the recieving end of my yelling? The god damned owners. Not the dog. That the dog felt some need to protect it's territory, or protect it's family, or was dog aggressive, and so on is not the dog's fault. It is the humans who own him who did not keep it under control. And THEY are to blame.

Feel free to call me all the names you want...sticks and stones will break my bones but the internet will never hurt me (except emotionally...but we all know about Tubgirl already). The deliberate, calculated, cold-blooded killing of an animal was not brought up by anyone. Well, anyone aside from you. I have no desire to kill anything i am not going to eat, that's why i dislike fishing with my stepdad...i catch 2 and am done, for the year.

It WAS brought up, and not by me.

You assume way too much, Stalk, you're jumping from what was understood to be the current tense to a future tense. Often. To be clear, i don't beat defenseless animals, that's what anti-freeze is for*. Furthermore, to call 65 pounds of teeth and muscle "defenseless" is laughable. While lacking the same bite power as a pit bull or shepherd, a goldie can deliver a hell of a bite and you wont go anywhere they don't LET you. I've played tug-of-war with enough goldies to know that is a fight i am NOT going to win easily, if at all.

A dog that kills small animals out of prey drive =/= a dog that will viciously attack you. A do you know what would happen if you beat most dogs raised around humans? I do. I worked in dog rescue for a long ass time. Their first reaction? To flee from you. Their second reaction? in 95% of dogs? No, not fight. They will submit, freeze, and take the beating from you. This trait is a million times stronger in a dog like a golden. If you beat a Golden or a Lab, you are more likely to get pissed all over than to get bitten. And if you think I'm joking about getting peed over, you are wrong. The dogs will roll on their back, freeze up, and piss everywhere to show it's submitting to you. Which is what will happen if you start beating it.

That, sir, is a defenseless animal. The golden above, showed no threat to any human life whatsoever.

* Obviously, the anti-freeze comment was meant only to get under Stalk's skin, only a total smeg head would do such a thing.

The only thing that is under my skin right now, is that people seem to be talking abuse, killing, and stuff to break up a situation that everyday joe blow dog owner deals with, normally, at dog parks. I am mostly astounded by the lack of common sense here. I see small, frail old women break up dog fights. How beating dogs to death, or hurting them, and so on come into play, on a website where most people are generally intelligent, came into play is beyond me.

Lilum
08-31-09, 12:36 PM
I'm sorry Stalk I must have imagined all the stories of children being mauled by dogs, and completely ignored all the stories about children being killed by house cats.

Koru
08-31-09, 02:05 PM
Someone bring up parenting, anime and politics and I think we'll have this thread pretty well covered.

Stalk
08-31-09, 02:27 PM
I'm sorry Stalk I must have imagined all the stories of children being mauled by dogs, and completely ignored all the stories about children being killed by house cats.

Congratulations, you made an abstract statement. When you explain what that has to do with a dog that hunts animals, with 95% of all dogs in the planet would do given the opportunity unless trained, then maybe we will have something for me to answer.

Lilum
08-31-09, 03:13 PM
Congratulations, you made an abstract statement. When you explain what that has to do with a dog that hunts animals, with 95% of all dogs in the planet would do given the opportunity unless trained, then maybe we will have something for me to answer.

Maybe I was too abstract since you were tried to say in your last post that I should fear for a child life when I see my cat hunting a mouse. While cats seem to be more productive hunters I have no fear what so ever that my cat is going to ever harm a human.

Look I understand that what you are saying. But I have no sympathy for dogs who's owners allow them to run free and harm other people's animals. As a kid I had rabbits and my neighbors had dobermans. You ever hear a rabbit scream while it's being pulled through the holes in it's hutch? There was no chase response there because the rabbits were trapped in a hutch and couldn't run anywhere.

deuce
08-31-09, 03:19 PM
do you still have nightmares of the rabbits screaming?

Save me lilum, save me you told me this box would protect me why did you lie to me like that!!

Lilum
08-31-09, 03:38 PM
Actually no but it is a pretty horrible sound. Pretty much a bloody mess too.

Stalk
08-31-09, 04:31 PM
Maybe I was too abstract since you were tried to say in your last post that I should fear for a child life when I see my cat hunting a mouse. While cats seem to be more productive hunters I have no fear what so ever that my cat is going to ever harm a human.

Look I understand that what you are saying. But I have no sympathy for dogs who's owners allow them to run free and harm other people's animals. As a kid I had rabbits and my neighbors had dobermans. You ever hear a rabbit scream while it's being pulled through the holes in it's hutch? There was no chase response there because the rabbits were trapped in a hutch and couldn't run anywhere.

You think that dogs are able to comprehend that kind of thing? They see small furry things. If it runs it triggers a chase response. But if it doesn't run it's still a squeaking little furry thing that smells like food. Dogs were bred to, well, not see humans as food. Why you are surprised that a carnivore is acting like a carnivore is something I do not understand. They were bred selectively to get along with humans. Nobody ever tried to breed out, well, the desire to eat. That sounds like all kinds of castrophe. it was not until less than 100 years ago that dogs ate dog food. They ate animals they caught, or that they helped humans catch, at that time.

It is difficult for me to understand how you associate the two. Being provactive and not letting your children interact with strange dogs is a normal thing to do. Killing dogs that, well, hunt for food, and equally, do not see humans as food... is incomprehensible.

If you showed me a humongous list of stories of dogs that maul and EAT humans, then maybe, just maybe, I would concede the slightest association between a dog that captures and eats, or even captures without intention to eat, a prey animal.

But I can assure you right now, that all those maulings you speak of, are going to be of territorial dogs, of human aggressive dogs who have learned the behavior of aggression towards humans = humans go away, and a variety of stuff. And yes, I would also agree that those dogs need to be put down.

However, that has absolutely no connection whatsoever to prey instinct which all dogs in existence have.

Sillis
08-31-09, 05:01 PM
Meh, not worth it.

/tldr

Ryujee
08-31-09, 08:44 PM
If you showed me a humongous list of stories of dogs that maul and EAT humans, then maybe, just maybe, I would concede the slightest association between a dog that captures and eats, or even captures without intention to eat, a prey animal.

Dind't find many that mentioned actually eating the child, but i had no shortage of maulings, several of which cost the child their life.

http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=8453622
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6J9C4ujTh8&feature=channel
http://kdka.com/local/Dog.Mauling.Hanover.2.912535.html
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-dog-mauled-boy-080709,0,6043290.story
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dogs_in_the_News/thread/543334
http://www.cullmantimes.com/local/local_story_098221855.html
http://cbs5.com/local/fremont.dog.maul.2.735069.html
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24930732-2702,00.html
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/family-dog-mauls-girl/2008/04/16/1208025274961.html
http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=40186
http://www.hindu.com/2008/06/23/stories/2008062359160500.htm
http://www.dogsbite.org/blog/2008/11/family-pit-bull-mauls-toddler-in.html
http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/4807886.html
http://www.wesh.com/news/4345160/detail.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-408462/Pet-dog-mauls-11-month-old-baby.html
http://www.abqjournal.com/abqnews/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1209:905am-dog-mauls-5-year-old-in-grants&catid=13:abqnewsseeker-archives

These ones i listed separately because i could find no explanation for them except the possibility that their prey drive was triggered, somehow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU-Cv9O50HQ
http://newsok.com/dog-mauls-kills-infant-in-tulsa-home/article/3275873/?tm=1217269103
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=292303
http://www.imperfectparent.com/topics/2009/01/21/dog-mauls-3-week-old-baby/
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2007/07/03/ot-dog-mauling-070703.html

Most of these animal attack stories were family dogs, raised around children, in many instances the same children attacked. Domesticated family home dogs, not the feral street dog variety one imagines hunting in packs.

My observation on the prey drive is not silly, at least not when kept in context. Many house dogs play fetch as long as you are willing, granted. However, i don't know of any dog that will play fetch with just ANY object. Most house dogs i know have A specific object they will chase and bring back until doomsday, usually a tennis ball or a squeaky toy. Change the object and the game never even begins. We were talking about a house dog, not a hunting dog or a dog 3 generations removed from the Alaskan tundra. A sporting dog breed, sure, but as far as i can tell it was a house dog.

As i said before, i never doubted the existence of a prey drive, but in fully half your examples you list dogs that are bred for that exact trait. Greyhounds, duh! Now what kind of an idiot gets a greyhound around kids...who live to run and jump? Pitbulls? Seriously? You list the dog with the most dangerous temperment/signs combo to make a point for a "does not equal danger" point? if memory serves right, they were bred partially to hide their signs of aggression, with them there is no warning. I'll give you pointers as a freebie, they are valued because of their prey drive, but they are also bred to do as their name implies...POINT, not retrieve. Nice even tempered dogs that usually live in harmony with cats.

Sled dogs are often barely 3-4 generations off the tundra, the only one trusted with the children of most sledders i know is the Lead dog. The rest are too dangerous and wild still to be around children and small animals. These are animals that hunt, kill and eat anything smaller than themselves...or larger if they have a pack.

I may be coming off as a dog hater here, but that is not the case. I owe my life to a family dog, she intercepted and utterly destroyed a stray that attacked me as a child. It never layed a fang or claw on me, China ripped out his throat and shook him like a rag doll. She also nearly ripped the arm off our neighbor for moving too fast around us. Yes, she was protective of humans and would do anything to defend humans. HER humans. Her pack...not the other 'pack' across the street, anyone and anything else was considered open game.

I feel the same was about my children as China felt about my mother, sister and I. If i perceive you as a threat to my pack you have to go, there is no gray area there. I am not going to wait for an animal hunting in my yard to up his game from cats to kids before i consider it a threat. If you're hunting here you have crossed the line from domestic to feral as far as i am concerned, and if you're big enough to be a threat to my kids you will be dealt with. Period.

Oh, Lilum, i didn't forget about you dude. You didn't look hard enough, you wanted a story of a viscous cat attack? Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeMOE1ARoI0&NR=1

ZOMG! Predatory cat! Predatory cat!!!1!

Stalk
08-31-09, 10:29 PM
Dind't find many that mentioned actually eating the child, but i had no shortage of maulings, several of which cost the child their life.

These ones i listed separately because i could find no explanation for them except the possibility that their prey drive was triggered, somehow.

Anyone that knows anything about dog behavior knows there is usually 100000000 possible reasons for these. Prey drive is not one of them.

Most of these animal attack stories were family dogs, raised around children, in many instances the same children attacked. Domesticated family home dogs, not the feral street dog variety one imagines hunting in packs.

Yes, home raised family dogs who coexisted peacefully, up until the "attack". Obviously the attack was triggered because he woke up and saw you as food, just like cats. Wait, no, that's wrong. I can tell you a lot of reasons why a dog would maul a human. Prey drive would have little to nothing to do with it.

My observation on the prey drive is not silly, at least not when kept in context. Many house dogs play fetch as long as you are willing, granted. However, i don't know of any dog that will play fetch with just ANY object. Most house dogs i know have A specific object they will chase and bring back until doomsday, usually a tennis ball or a squeaky toy. Change the object and the game never even begins. We were talking about a house dog, not a hunting dog or a dog 3 generations removed from the Alaskan tundra. A sporting dog breed, sure, but as far as i can tell it was a house dog.

I do not think you understand genetics and how dogs were bred. Do you know why fetch is such a good activity with your dog? It wears out their drive, heightens focus. That makes their prey drive less likely to be triggered. Forget 3 generations removed, they would have to be more than 20 generations removed, selectively bred for their lack of prey drive, to be what you are imagining.

As i said before, i never doubted the existence of a prey drive, but in fully half your examples you list dogs that are bred for that exact trait. Greyhounds, duh! Now what kind of an idiot gets a greyhound around kids...who live to run and jump? Pitbulls? Seriously? You list the dog with the most dangerous temperment/signs combo to make a point for a "does not equal danger" point? if memory serves right, they were bred partially to hide their signs of aggression, with them there is no warning. I'll give you pointers as a freebie, they are valued because of their prey drive, but they are also bred to do as their name implies...POINT, not retrieve. Nice even tempered dogs that usually live in harmony with cats.

A whole paragraph of lack of understanding, a-may-zing. 1) Greyhounds are amazing house dogs. It's widely reputed. Prey drive =/= human aggression. Two entirely different things.

2) Pit bulls. They are a "popular" breed. why do you think the majority of Michael Vick's fighting dogs were able to go on to live in harmony with children and elderly. Duh. Dog Aggression =/= Human Aggression. The fact is, most people who own pit bulls, keep them in deplorable conditions, do not socialize them, and so on. They have some of the best temperaments around, and because of this, are easy to turn aggressive with human encouragement.

3) I am not even going to explain your misconception of pointers.

Sled dogs are often barely 3-4 generations off the tundra, the only one trusted with the children of most sledders i know is the Lead dog. The rest are too dangerous and wild still to be around children and small animals. These are animals that hunt, kill and eat anything smaller than themselves...or larger if they have a pack.

Yet another incredible lack of understanding of dogs, and breeds. I worked in Norsled, and Siberian Husky Rescue of America. Look up the breed history. The breed, for hundreds of generations, were raised to live with the humans. They would sleep with children, to keep warm during winters. And it was not just lead dogs. All of them. Any dog that showed aggression, would be culled from the line.

As such, wait for it. There is only one, ONE, confirmed Siberian Husky attack in known record. Sled dogs are probably the most domesticated breed right now, having been domesticated for.... three thousand years. Yes, 3,000 years. And guess what?

You are right about one thing though. These, extremely domesticated, human loving, friendly with all humans dogs, which most people do not even need to socialize that much because it's so natural to them to be friendly to everyone (a trait they were bred for, specifically, besides their working ability).... have probably one of the biggest prey drives there is. We warn specifically to all people willing to adopt them, to never let them be around cats, because they WILL kill them. Amazing, eh? We encourage people with children and babies to adopt them! There is no better breed to have around children!!

By the way, my 2 dogs have been Alaskan Malamute, Siberian Husky. I also had a Schutzhund German Shepherd.

I may be coming off as a dog hater here, but that is not the case. I owe my life to a family dog, she intercepted and utterly destroyed a stray that attacked me as a child. It never layed a fang or claw on me, China ripped out his throat and shook him like a rag doll. She also nearly ripped the arm off our neighbor for moving too fast around us. Yes, she was protective of humans and would do anything to defend humans. HER humans. Her pack...not the other 'pack' across the street, anyone and anything else was considered open game.

I hate to point out the obvious here, but yes you are right. One thing you may not realize about this situation. Your dog is unaware of human morals, and what is considered infringing on human territory. Now considering what your dog would do for her pack. Imagine if someone walked into your yard, and your dog perceived that to be a threat and tried to defend. Hello! Mauling incident! This pack mentality, not prey mentality, is probably responsible for the majority of mauling attacks. Not prey drive. That is why most attacks will be from your neighborhood family dog.

I feel the same was about my children as China felt about my mother, sister and I. If i perceive you as a threat to my pack you have to go, there is no gray area there. I am not going to wait for an animal hunting in my yard to up his game from cats to kids before i consider it a threat. If you're hunting here you have crossed the line from domestic to feral as far as i am concerned, and if you're big enough to be a threat to my kids you will be dealt with. Period.

Domestic: to tame (an animal), esp. by generations of breeding, to live in close association with human beings as a pet or work animal and usually creating a dependency so that the animal loses its ability to live in the wild.

Again, explain to me where in this statement does prey come into play. Dogs have never, ever, EVER, EVEEEEEEEEER been bred to not chase small animals, except in very specific breeds. Dogs do not look at us like they look at prey. They just don't. That's why they are domesticated. They are made to get along with US, not prey.

Ryujee
08-31-09, 11:23 PM
Okay, let's try it your way for a bit...

"Anyone that knows anything about dog behavior knows there is usually 100000000 possible reasons for these."

OH-EM-GEE! Give me some examples then! Explain to me how in your idiotic view of the world this coule ever, ever, eveeeeeer happen!

"I can tell you a lot of reasons why a dog would maul a human."

Meh, i'd copy and paste but am lazy, look up a couple of lines.

"some long crap that focused on what you know as in opposed to what i said"

Yeah, i said the sledders * I * know.

"Dogs do not look at us like they look at prey. They just don't."

Just a clipping of an entire paragraph that i lost interest in. Seriously, your lack of understanding what i said in that paragraph was mind-boggling.

Hey, you know what? That was kind of fun! Actually, it made me feel ill to my stomach to do that...how do you do it on every post? ugh.

Stalk
08-31-09, 11:45 PM
If you want an education in dog behavior, then ask what there is to be learned. If you want to state misinformation as facts, you are open to criticism.

I've given you plenty of information in my posts, that you choose to ignore them, rather than learn from them, is an issue of yours. Not mine. If you want me to teach you about dogs and their behavior nicely, then ask me nicely to explain things. Talking about beating, killing, or otherwise harming animals, for whatever reason, is a fast track to being on my **** list.

Dragynphyre
09-01-09, 04:02 AM
Git your own thread!!!

Deser
09-01-09, 05:19 AM
I'm gonna have to agree completely with Stalk on this one guys - you're definitely outmatched by facts in this argument.

Ryujee
09-01-09, 05:27 AM
I'm gonna have to agree completely with Stalk on this one guys - you're definitely outmatched by facts in this argument.

This is the internet, do facts REALLY have a place here?

Lilum
09-01-09, 05:32 AM

Once again, if a dog ever attacks one of my pets, I'm kicking it until I can't kick it anymore. Now if I took a dog to a dog park that would be a different story but I'm talking about an off leash dog IN MY OWN ****ING YARD. I don't care about the reasons at that time, all I care about is that some other animal has my pet in his mouth. He's getting the **** kicked out of him. If the dog's owner has a problem with me kicking his dog in the skull, well then his dog shouldn't have been within punting range and had my animal in its mouth. Now if I'm walking my dog and a fight ensues in someone elses yard, once again I'm just going to break up the fight as best I can since I'm the one in their territory, and it's my fault.

Velvetrose
09-01-09, 05:48 AM
Git your own thread!!!

Sorry about your bird Dragyn....

Stalk
09-01-09, 06:16 AM
Once again, if a dog ever attacks one of my pets, I'm kicking it until I can't kick it anymore. Now if I took a dog to a dog park that would be a different story but I'm talking about an off leash dog IN MY OWN ****ING YARD. I don't care about the reasons at that time, all I care about is that some other animal has my pet in his mouth. He's getting the **** kicked out of him. If the dog's owner has a problem with me kicking his dog in the skull, well then his dog shouldn't have been within punting range and had my animal in its mouth. Now if I'm walking my dog and a fight ensues in someone elses yard, once again I'm just going to break up the fight as best I can since I'm the one in their territory, and it's my fault.

Or you can just, you know, break the fight up in a more sensible way. 1) If you are able to get within range of a dog to break up the fight, kicking the dog in the head is just going to make things worse for you. 2) It would be faster to break up the fight the way frail old ladies break up dog fights. That method, which i outlined earlier, would guarantee chances of saving your cat.

That you are so insistent on "kicking it until you can't kick it anymore" tells me only one thing. You are just as much of a internet tough guy as Toprem, out with something to prove about your masculinity. "Hey, look at me! I'm going to unneccessarily kick dogs and get overly violent to protect my family! Woo woo I'm such a man!"

Or you could, you know, just simply grab the dog's back legs. Then pull it, so it drops anything that is in it's mouth. Then step in between the dog and the victim. Viola, fight over, safely and without innocent parties getting hurt! THEN, you can walk over to their owners, and give them a good ol' punch in the nose if you're so inclined.

But that would be way too sensible, I guess. It's much more manly to beat the dog.

Ryujee
09-01-09, 06:22 AM
Git your own thread!!!

Sorry abut hijacking your thread, will try harder to not do that in the future.

So, how are you holding up? Still find yourself filling a bowl of seed and stockpiling newspaper? It took me a few weeks to stop doing something similar when my rabbits died, way back when.

I am fairly certain it's to soon to ask this, but you know us guys. Have you given any idea as to what you're going to get to terrorize Velvet with next? Opal, from what you said, used to punk Velvet out...and you just can't let a tradition like that fade away.

Sillis
09-01-09, 06:40 AM
Or you can just, you know, break the fight up in a more sensible way. 1) If you are able to get within range of a dog to break up the fight, kicking the dog in the head is just going to make things worse for you. 2) It would be faster to break up the fight the way frail old ladies break up dog fights. That method, which i outlined earlier, would guarantee chances of saving your cat.

That you are so insistent on "kicking it until you can't kick it anymore" tells me only one thing. You are just as much of a internet tough guy as Toprem, out with something to prove about your masculinity. "Hey, look at me! I'm going to unneccessarily kick dogs and get overly violent to protect my family! Woo woo I'm such a man!"

Or you could, you know, just simply grab the dog's back legs. Then pull it, so it drops anything that is in it's mouth. Then step in between the dog and the victim. Viola, fight over, safely and without innocent parties getting hurt! THEN, you can walk over to their owners, and give them a good ol' punch in the nose if you're so inclined.

But that would be way too sensible, I guess. It's much more manly to beat the dog.

You're also under the assumption the dog won't turn and attack me. There is no way in hell I am going to give a dog that I do not know a chance to hurt me, my pets, or family. Sorry, not taking that chance. I will do what I have to, including beating the dog into submission if necessary.

It has nothing to do with being an "internet tough guy". it has everything to do with accomplishing a goal with the least amount of danger to myself.

By the way, I am a dog owner myself, so don't try to throw the "everyday joe blow dog owner would know" argument.

*edit* You can also stop the personal attacks at any time. They do nothing to enhance your position. Yes, it is obvious you are passionate about it. No need to be a dink. Having been guilty of it in the past, I know of what I speak.

Stalk
09-01-09, 07:47 AM
You're also under the assumption the dog won't turn and attack me. There is no way in hell I am going to give a dog that I do not know a chance to hurt me, my pets, or family. Sorry, not taking that chance. I will do what I have to, including beating the dog into submission if necessary.

The dog is holding your cat in it's mouth. It has no intentions of attacking you at this point. You manage to get close enough to touch the dog. This would mean the dog is not wary of humans. One that is, and may be likely to attack you, would run away from you before you can reach it, probably with the cat in your mouth.

You get up to it, and kick it in the head. Well by golly, NOW the dog might have a damn compelling reason to attack you. By putting your body near the dog's mouth, you are endangering youself, your family, and your animal. And really, think about what you do when someone punches you. You clench your teeth down. So are you really saying it's safe to kick a dog with your cat in it's mouth? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

A dog is not going to turn and attack you. You are far more likely to get bitten, by getting close enough to the dog to punch or kick it. because you are now a threat, and you are within the dog's biting range.

The method I outlined earlier, keeps YOU safe, keeps the attacked animal safe, and subdues the dog. Win win win situation. The method you outlined, endangers you ,endangers your cat, and endangers the dog.

What people do when they panic, is hard to account for. What you are doing here, is while sitting down, calmly thinking about it, and not in a panic situationwher eyou need to make immediate decisions... are picking the wrong choice. I've just told you how to diffuse the situation safely, for all involved, and the best way for you and your beloved's safety. Why you choose to ignore it I cannot comprehend.

It has nothing to do with being an "internet tough guy". it has everything to do with accomplishing a goal with the least amount of danger to myself.

Yes, and you chose wrong. I just told you how to do exactly that, now for the third time in this thread. If you are behind the dog and can grab it's leg, then it's mouth can not reach you. And it WILL drop whatever is in it's mouth, rather than clench down at the force of the blow. So now you are out of biting range, and Fluffy the Cat is out of the mouth. Y ou're perfectly safe, and you can subdue the dog at that point. Getting up close and personal with it's teeth is a silly idea. And extremely unsafe.

By the way, I am a dog owner myself, so don't try to throw the "everyday joe blow dog owner would know" argument.

You obviously don't take your dogs out to be around other dogs. Dog fights are frequent enough that diffusing it is a common topic.

*edit* You can also stop the personal attacks at any time. They do nothing to enhance your position. Yes, it is obvious you are passionate about it. No need to be a dink. Having been guilty of it in the past, I know of what I speak.

I am not going to be very nice to those who talk about needlessly beating animals, when I give a safer alternative that's best for all involved.

Dragynphyre
09-01-09, 07:52 AM
So, how are you holding up?

Have you given any idea as to what you're going to get to terrorize Velvet with next?

Doing ok, still miss the little chirpface. My co-worker's parakeets are loving the spacious cage, so that makes me feel better.

Queen Velvet gets to rule the house for a little while on her own, Mom doesn't want any other pets for a long while.

Sillis
09-01-09, 08:03 AM
The dog is holding your cat in it's mouth. It has no intentions of attacking you at this point. You manage to get close enough to touch the dog. This would mean the dog is not wary of humans. One that is, and may be likely to attack you, would run away from you before you can reach it, probably with the cat in your mouth.

You get up to it, and kick it in the head. Well by golly, NOW the dog might have a damn compelling reason to attack you. By putting your body near the dog's mouth, you are endangering youself, your family, and your animal. And really, think about what you do when someone punches you. You clench your teeth down. So are you really saying it's safe to kick a dog with your cat in it's mouth? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Here is your first mistake. You are assuming the FIRST thing I am going to try to do is attack the dog. Get off your high horse. Where did I say the first thing I would do is attack? The first thing I would do is yell, then move in.

As to the dog being unlikely to attack me, what ****ing planet are you living on? I would be competing for his food, therefore he would defend his food source. Ever seen a dog do that? But of course, all I would do is kick it in the head. You know, because that is all I want, to violate a dog.

A dog is not going to turn and attack you. You are far more likely to get bitten, by getting close enough to the dog to punch or kick it. because you are now a threat, and you are within the dog's biting range.

To grab his hind legs, I HAVE to get within bite range. Unless the dog is oblivious to me, it is a FACT. If I can touch him, he can bite me.

The method I outlined earlier, keeps YOU safe, keeps the attacked animal safe, and subdues the dog. Win win win situation. The method you outlined, endangers you ,endangers your cat, and endangers the dog.

Please show me what method I outlined. Oh, yeah, I didn't. All I said was:

I will do what I have to, including beating the dog into submission if necessary.

What people do when they panic, is hard to account for. What you are doing here, is while sitting down, calmly thinking about it, and not in a panic situationwher eyou need to make immediate decisions... are picking the wrong choice. I've just told you how to diffuse the situation safely, for all involved, and the best way for you and your beloved's safety. Why you choose to ignore it I cannot comprehend.

Because, obviously, your information is the only correct information. :roll Honey, vinegar, all that.

Yes, and you chose wrong. I just told you how to do exactly that, now for the third time in this thread. If you are behind the dog and can grab it's leg, then it's mouth can not reach you. And it WILL drop whatever is in it's mouth, rather than clench down at the force of the blow. So now you are out of biting range, and Fluffy the Cat is out of the mouth. Y ou're perfectly safe, and you can subdue the dog at that point. Getting up close and personal with it's teeth is a silly idea. And extremely unsafe.

Just more of the same from above. You keep putting words into my mouth about kicking the dog, punching it, whatever. Show me where I said that is what I would do.

You obviously don't take your dogs out to be around other dogs. Dog fights are frequent enough that diffusing it is a common topic.

Yep, you are right. You know me so well. You know exactly when/where/and how often I take my dog(s) out. Please, deflate your ego a bit. You don't know me or my habits, how many dogs I have had, etc etc. Don't assume otherwise. It tends to make you look like a misinformed fool.

I am not going to be very nice to those who talk about needlessly beating animals, when I give a safer alternative that's best for all involved.

Don't assume. The old adage is true.

Lilum
09-01-09, 08:12 AM
He's confusing you for me, which I am sorry about.

I would kick the dog if I can get into kicking range. Let's be honest though I'm going to be screaming my head off all the way into the fight. If the dog hasn't let go with me screaming at it to let go, it not going to let go. You can substitute picking it up by it's collar, hitting it with something handy, and doing anything I can to get between my pet and some dog that is attacking, I just choose kicking because I wear boots a lot of the time.

Seriously Stalk you're trying to tell us a dog attacking what it considers prey isn't going to defend that prey? There are plenty of stories of people being mauled by bigger dogs while trying to rescue their smaller dogs. I guess I imagined those too, since all dogs will just drop food and walk away when confronted with a human.

Sillis
09-01-09, 08:17 AM
He's confusing you for me, which I am sorry about.

Well, if that's the case, then next time he needs to make sure he doesn't quote me in the response.

Which is why I am pretty sure he isn't confusing us.

Stalk
09-01-09, 11:00 AM
Here is your first mistake. You are assuming the FIRST thing I am going to try to do is attack the dog. Get off your high horse. Where did I say the first thing I would do is attack? The first thing I would do is yell, then move in.

Ok, you're right. You did not say the first thing you would do. In fact, you did not even say WHAT the first thing you would do is, other than apparently, yelling. All I hear is you appear to disagree with me, so all I can assume is you agree with everything except me. So I have no idea what you think should be done, or what you disagree with.

As to the dog being unlikely to attack me, what ****ing planet are you living on? I would be competing for his food, therefore he would defend his food source. Ever seen a dog do that? But of course, all I would do is kick it in the head. You know, because that is all I want, to violate a dog.

Yes, this behavior is called resource guarding. Things dogs also resource guard: tennis balls, a patch of grass, a couch, a bed, a rug, a napkin, your underwear, a tree, a fire hydrant. That a dog is capable of resource guarding, does not mean it will do so. 99% of dogs are all bark, teeth, and growls, but no bite. Stand your ground, they back down. That is why experts who deal with aggressive dogs, such as Ceasar Milan (despite that i disagree with his training methods), Dr. Ian Dunbar, Patrica McConnell, and so on recommend the method of grabbing the back legs and standing your ground afterwards. It is the rare dog, that will attempt to stand it's ground against you, not the norm.

Conversely, the dog that will trigger prey drive, is the norm, not the rare. My old dog, Ollie, was a resource guarder. Come within 5' of his food, and he would turn into a growling menace. But as with most dogs, it is all flash and no bite. Putting your hand in front of it's mouth would guarantee a bite, but standing tall, hands to your side, and body blocking? You are more likely to get your head lopped off by a plane flying too low. Most of the people who get attacked by a dog resource guarding, put themselves foolishly in the position to be attacked. That is why I am here telling you how NOT to get attacked, by an dog in the middle of an rush and to prevent further attacks by body blocking.

To grab his hind legs, I HAVE to get within bite range. Unless the dog is oblivious to me, it is a FACT. If I can touch him, he can bite me.

Yes, you will have some risk ANY way you can touch him. From the behind, is the least possible risk. Which is what we are trying to do here, reduce the chances of you getting hurt, fluffy the cat getting hurt, and calming the dog.

Please show me what method I outlined. Oh, yeah, I didn't. All I said was:

Just more of the same from above. You keep putting words into my mouth about kicking the dog, punching it, whatever. Show me where I said that is what I would do.

Again, you're correct. You said nothing about what you would do. So you have absolutely no point to make, okay. No argument there! Until you tell me what you would do, other than an abstract concept of "whatever it takes", there is nothing for me to say, and you have wasted my time reading an abstract meaningless statement.

Yep, you are right. You know me so well. You know exactly when/where/and how often I take my dog(s) out. Please, deflate your ego a bit. You don't know me or my habits, how many dogs I have had, etc etc. Don't assume otherwise. It tends to make you look like a misinformed fool.

I simply do not care what your habits are. The only thing here that's remotely relevant to me is, as far as I am aware, you did not know the universal method of stopping an attacking dog. But hey, I'm assuming there, right?! So you're basically saying nothing of value, again. So I have nothing to tell you.

Don't assume. The old adage is true.

Smoke and mirror debate tatics, ftw!

I would kick the dog if I can get into kicking range. Let's be honest though I'm going to be screaming my head off all the way into the fight. If the dog hasn't let go with me screaming at it to let go, it not going to let go. You can substitute picking it up by it's collar, hitting it with something handy, and doing anything I can to get between my pet and some dog that is attacking, I just choose kicking because I wear boots a lot of the time.

For someone that takes protecting his family so seriously, I am unsure why you are constantly rejecting advice given by dog experts on how to stop an attacking dog. I would think that you would appreciate the advice. If I told someone that I was carrying my baby in the car, because I thought it was the safest way to transport and protect a baby in event of accident. Because you know, I'd be holding the baby and I can do some awesome thing to protect it while the car is in a severe accident. And the person pointed out to me "um no, check this info about baby seats and how they are safe"

I would appreciate that. You are just rejecting the universal method of stopping a dog for, I guess, pride. I have no idea why. All it takes is, "Ah I see, I did not know there was a standard method of doing such. I will keep it in consideration if I can" and things would be over immediately. I am not just trying to help the dog, I am trying to help YOU not get bitten, and I am trying to help YOU learn the method used that might save your family in event of dog attack.

But feel free to ignore me, all the experts in Dog Aggression, Human Aggression, Resource Guarding, all the Schutzhund trainers, all the Dog Clubs in America, all the rescues in america, and more.

Lilum
09-01-09, 11:17 AM
I don't think Sillis Ryujee, and myself are talking about your normal dog fight. We are discussing that 1% dog that is going to turn around and attack back.

In the more likely event that it's just a normal dog fight I'm more than happy to take your advice into consideration.

Stalk
09-01-09, 11:31 AM
I don't think Sillis Ryujee, and myself are talking about your normal dog fight. We are discussing that 1% dog that is going to turn around and attack back.

In the more likely event that it's just a normal dog fight I'm more than happy to take your advice into consideration.

If the dog turns to attack you, then yes I have said in this thread that a dog attacking a human, a lot of things go out of the window. If the dog is facing you, you won't be able to get behind it, you won't be able to outrun it, you won't be able to outmanuver it. So yes, you do what you have to if the dog tries to attack you. My comments, and my objection, up until now has been with the issue of beating a dog that has no intentions of attacking you, for the crime which the owners commited, rather than the dog. That originated from Toprem's comment about how they should have "beat the dog to death" despite there being no indication that the dog attacked a human.

Dragynphyre
09-01-09, 12:34 PM
Seriously dude, stop derailing my thread!!!

Toprem
09-01-09, 02:51 PM
Nothing in this post points to the dog doing anything wrong. Everything in this post points to the OWNERS doing something wrong. You would beat a dog to death, for doing what is NATURAL for a CARNIVORE!!!! Unless TRAINED otherwise?

No, but I would not be beating the dog to death. I would be giving the OWNER a nice, long beating. Second, FFS, the cat was loose too. If you choose to have an outdoor cat, you also are relinquishing your rights, just like the dog owners do when they have their dogs offleash. Cats are amazingly destructive to the ecosystem.

Do you blink when your cat kills birds, rats, gophers, and countless other stuff while outdoors? Guess what's on a dog's prey list.

Again, the dog did nothing wrong. The owners ****ed up by having their dog off leash, and drole ****ed up by not keeping his cat indoors.

Yes, yes I would. It being a carnivore has nothing to do with it, dogs don't eat cats. People don't blink when cats kill those things because they are wild animals and not someone elses ****ing property/family member, if they were then the cat deserves to get kicked in the head as much as a dog.

The hell it isn't, beyond shitting in the yard (which would piss me off) and as in actual destruction of property (pet or otherwise) it would get one call to animal control, if it does it again it's getting beaten. Maybe not to death unless its a large one and fights back, but it sure as hell is gonna learn to stay the **** off my property.

Who said anything about being unwilling to do it? Id be willing to do it if they tried to stop me from getting their ****ty animal off mine, problem is there's a lot harsher laws against murder. Hell, their animal is likely to be put down by animal control if its judged to be a risk like that, what the **** should I care if Im the one to kill it instead of someone not involved in the matter?

Oh. My. God.

You did NOT just say that.

Ho-ly ****. That's just a-may-zing.

Just out of curiousity. When you look at a cat that chased down mice, birds, etc and kill, eat them. Did you look at it and go, wow, that cat might kill my baby, I'm gonna kill it!

No. A dog is DOMESTICATED. Domesticated means they were made to live along with HUMANS. Nowhere in this equation did other animals come into play. Aidden's dogs likely can hunt and retreive ducks with the best of 'em, and I would gladly trust any kids I may have around his dogs.

The only way to kill a dog in that situation is to do it after the situation is controlled. Dogs are not so fragile you can kill them so easily. I mean seriously, there's probably a dog fight 1-2 times a day at the dog park. We break it up all the time, and safely. Unless the dog is posessed by satan himself, it is a simple matter to break up a fight with dogs. ****, I've seen 120 pound women break up a fight between a 100 pound Lab and a 90 pound pit bull with ease, and safely. If that doesn't tell you anything, then I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you guys have never broken up a dog fight before or something. It's possible you guys think it's like breaking up world war 2 or something. I have no idea, it would explain a lot of the misconception here. But I can break up a fight between 2 100 pound dogs blindfolded. It is not rocket science, and it is not very dangerous.

It being domesticated doesn't mean **** once its proven either it can't be controlled or the owner's just can't do it, Im not going to be interested in trusting it at all anymore.

There's a large difference in the fight mentioned here, it's b/w two larger dogs and not a dog and something much smaller than it and likely to be killed easily by it. I don't care how easy it may be to break a fight up, at that point I am going to be willing to do whatever it takes to get the offending animal the hell off mine. I also don't want to risk the dog turning on me trying to get it off peacefully and be left with my thumb up my ass.

Speaking of the rabbit, some kids were out walking their rabbit one day and one of the the meanest ****piece of a dog ever killed it here on our street... it was a dachshund. This dog was left to roam the streets constantly and it was mean as all **** and would bark at just about everything. Why they never kept the dog in their house or w/e I never learned, but this dog had been roaming around for ages. Had I been the parents of those kids I would have killed that ****ing thing after the fact, that dog was just terrible. Only other dog that came near to being as mean as that thing was our former neighbors dog, one of those little Alaskan things. Thing yapped at ****ing everything all the time non ****ing stop, at least that ball of hate and fur was fenced in.

You mean the method where I get in bite range if it turns around and decides it doesn't like me either? Yeah, sounds like a plan to me... I think Ill take my chances with stepping on its spine and then kicking the **** out of it if I don't have any weapons of some kind at hand.

Stalk
09-01-09, 02:59 PM
I'm a big, tough, scary man that can beat things to death with a single blow! I seen it in animes, it can be done! Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Logic can not penetrate my body of steel!

I summed it up about right, eh?

Ryujee
09-01-09, 05:27 PM
As much fun as this thread has been, i hate to say it but it's time to stop guys. Dragyn's thread started off on one topic and now we are on an entirely different one. As one of the responsible parties involved i think we should move this to a new thread. Continue this in there and try and keep this thread back on track.

Dragynphyre deserves that much out of us and if you disagree with that statement...well, feel free to start your own thread to tell me how wrong i am.

Exit, stage left!

**Started a new thread just for this purpose, not sure if someone can move all the "off-topic" crap to it...**

Gannab
09-01-09, 06:01 PM
Nothing in this post points to the dog doing anything wrong. Everything in this post points to the OWNERS doing something wrong. You would beat a dog to death, for doing what is NATURAL for a CARNIVORE!!!!

I suppose I could argue that what the owners did was pretty natural for human stupidity, but I think that would be a rather stupid argument.

Ryujee
09-02-09, 05:29 PM
It just now occurred to me to ask, how's Velvet handling this?

Dragynphyre
09-03-09, 06:06 AM
It just now occurred to me to ask, how's Velvet handling this?

Business as usual. She doesn't seem to notice, or doesn't care. Mom bought her some new ping-pong balls to play with.

Ryujee
09-03-09, 06:19 AM
Business as usual. She doesn't seem to notice, or doesn't care. Mom bought her some new ping-pong balls to play with.

ooh! those are fun, bounce off every damned thing in the house. Look, a cat on the wall, on the the table, on the ceiling, inside...the...dishwasher??? *mental note, close dishwasher BEFORE we start bouncing ping-pong balls in the kitchen*

Do you just fling them around the house or do you have a paddle to whack em with to give them backspin?

Dragynphyre
09-03-09, 09:18 AM
Do you just fling them around the house or do you have a paddle to whack em with to give them backspin?

She only likes them when they are bounced onto the floor, so that the arc of the bounce brings it straight over her head so that she can stand up on her hind legs and try to catch it. If you need to picture this, imagine a grey cat with white splotches on her chest and tummy standing up like a meerkat doing "The Wave".

If you roll it past her or bounce it where it doesn't pass over her, she looks at you like "You didn't do it right" and doesn't want to have anything to do with the ball. Once the ball has cleared her immediate area, no chase is given. One must go and retrieve the ball, walk back to starting position, and repeat the same bounce.

Ryujee
09-03-09, 03:36 PM
Damn, that's hella picky...even for a cat. But eh...what can you do, she's the Queen, right?

Zeno
09-05-09, 10:08 AM
The Dog story topic:
Nobody else a Golden owner and absolutely astonished that a Golden would attack a cat?
I have 2 cats and 3 dogs (one of them a Golden)... they did not grow up together or anything, and they haven't even been able to get near each other until recently.

My Golden desperately wants to be their friend, and is always wanting to lick them affectionately (which, needless to say, the cats do not approve of). Goldens are retrieving dogs - they have a strong instinct with returning dead or injured birds to their owner. Never seen them attack a cat before (I had a golden mix as a young child, and then a pure golden my parents still have). This makes me curious about that particular Golden. Was it a non-neutured male? Was it neglected or abused or just never around other animals? Goldens aren't territorial or aggressive dogs in my experience. I've only ever had females, though.

ON TOPIC:
Dragyn, I thought I already posted my condolences in this thread but apparently not.
We have a cockatiel who is an absolute sweetheart. We need to get her wings clipped already (we haven't had her that long) because as it is she can pretty much fly now :b
I'm sorry for your loss. My wife is still so surprised at how attached she has become to that bird (she has never owned a bird before). I grew up with a Quaker parrot who became quite vicious. I really appreciate how sweet and gentle cockatiels are.

Ryujee
09-05-09, 08:31 PM
I grew up with a Quaker parrot who became quite vicious.

*Sqwaaak!* Polly wants a FINGER!!!