PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with AT&T DSL

likenew
03-19-11, 07:30 AM
You will have to limit your downloads to 150gb a month as of May 2...

Are there any usage limits for my broadband service?

Yes. As of May 2, 2011, AT&T's residential DSL High Speed Internet plans will have a usage allowance of 150 Gigabytes ("GB") per month, and its residential U-verse High Speed Internet plans will have a usage allowance of 250 Gigabytes ("GB") per month. The usage allowance is the amount of data you can send and receive each month.

No more streaming netflix or anime or heavy gaming :(

Terms of use changes can be found at this website:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB409045#fbid=Yy6PHYcDbQw

They have a website that shows you how much usage you have gone through too. I've far surpassed the limit and its been a light download month since Japan isn't doing so well right now.

Guess I'll be looking for a new isp, my speeds are a slow 2.56mbps according to speedtest too.

Talius
03-19-11, 09:04 AM
Canada has problems feeling pity for this. My internet package has capped out at 60 gb a month for the last 7 years or so.

It probably costs the same, or more, than the compatible package in the states, too :(

Xynn
03-19-11, 09:14 AM
I game, I download, both my roommate and I watch Netflix/Hulu/etc. heavily, looks like we will be dropping ATT. I will make it a point to tell them that too when I cancel... Like they will care

deuce
03-19-11, 09:29 AM
att has also been sending out notices to people that jailbreak there iphone and tether telling them to stop or they will auto enroll you in there tethering service.

likenew
03-19-11, 09:42 AM
I game, I download, both my roommate and I watch Netflix/Hulu/etc. heavily, looks like we will be dropping ATT. I will make it a point to tell them that too when I cancel... Like they will care

Sadly they won't care :( If I can figure out how to put in my address into verizon's check availability form I might try them since they are faster and no cap.

Xynn
03-19-11, 02:12 PM
I know they wont care since Im just one bill, but Im hoping a lot of people do it and then they will care.

Stalk
03-19-11, 03:11 PM
Blah. I dont know how much I use but it's probably a lot more than 150gb a month. I guess I should look into alternatives.

Biggwin
03-19-11, 11:29 PM
I dont have att, but what happens if you have your original unlimited contract?

I know with my Cable I still have my original contract stating unlimited...

DoonBackfighter
03-19-11, 11:59 PM
I have FTTP from AT&T, and work from home. The first time we ever get a letter about bandwidth usage, Time Warner will be getting a call. At least they had the sense (via consumer outcry, granted) to drop the caps.

likenew
03-20-11, 07:14 AM
I dont have att, but what happens if you have your original unlimited contract?

I know with my Cable I still have my original contract stating unlimited...

How old is your contract?

The TOS can change at any time. If you think of it as renting an apartment, they can change rates during your contracted year for new people moving in, but they can't start charging you more until your year ends and you need to sign a new lease...but if they decide to stop letting people have free water, you will be paying for that immediately. Thats how I see it, and coincidentally has happened to me before!

Andurian
03-20-11, 07:51 AM
This crap is just going to get worse and worse until we stand up to these bastards. Or the govn't grows a backbone and regulates these ****ers into doing what they are supposed to be doing anyway. They get to have a legal monopoly only if they behave.

AT&T needs a time out.

Tivia
03-20-11, 10:56 AM
Problem 1 - you have DSL..which is terrible.

I don't care how bad people say comcast is, cable is still infinitely better then dsl and thoes hating comcast have never had to put up with charter.

That said, ATT is certainly getting extremely nazi about their data caps this applies to their mobile network as well. This is particularly irritating when you consider more and more digital content is being delivered and thus more people are needing more bandwidth.

All in all I wouldn't have objections to data caps "IF" there were alternatives. Oh sure they go and spout off nonsense like 60% of our users use far less then this cap. That is all well and good except what about the other 40%? These companies need to offer options. While I dislike the cap in general, if they offered tiered pricing that worked its way up to unlimited they would catch far less ****. Certainly I would be pissed to suddenly be forced to pay more then $49 a month, but paying more is a far cry better then suddenly getting cut off.

Thwick
03-20-11, 12:01 PM
Problem 1 - you have DSL..which is terrible.

I know this was directed to be people in general and I totally agree with it being a poor substitute for broadbrand. Unfortunately, it's my only option as no other company can service my apartment complex and ATT is too cheap to run fiberoptic wire here, even with their corporate office on my same street about 1/4 mile away.

Tivia
03-20-11, 01:09 PM
I know this was directed to be people in general and I totally agree with it being a poor substitute for broadbrand. Unfortunately, it's my only option as no other company can service my apartment complex and ATT is too cheap to run fiberoptic wire here, even with their corporate office on my same street about 1/4 mile away.

You, like those with no choice but dial-up have my pity. I know I have been in that spot before and it sucks hard.

Lilum
03-20-11, 01:35 PM
There's another option for DSL here in my town, but last I knew the cable here sucked. We had it for all of two weeks before they cancelled my contract without penalty because I complained daily about their crappy service.

Stalk
03-20-11, 02:35 PM
What's the problem with DSL? I get consistent 600-700 kb/s download and 100kb upload on DSL without issue. It's plenty fast for me...

Xynn
03-20-11, 02:37 PM
Im not DSL, im actually Uverse, which means if we quit ATT, my roommate and I will probably go to charter and do a bundle package there instead.

Tivia
03-20-11, 03:16 PM
What's the problem with DSL? I get consistent 600-700 kb/s download and 100kb upload on DSL without issue. It's plenty fast for me...

It is unable to maintain a consistent speed for any length of time being the primary problem. Subject to phone line noise through bad hops since it is still through copper. It has to get disconnected generally at least once every 24 hours (Most won't notice this as it happens crazy late). To be fair I am pretty sure this disconnect is fast enough now that it is basically invisible, so it is more principle of the matter. Upload is just flat out atrocious on DSL, actually try and upload a 500mb file and see what I mean. You will watch your upload speed fall apart faster then a thatch house in a hurricane. Last but not least, DSL's bane..Distance..enough said.

Granted most of DSL's issues have been resolved over the years. The fact remains though that if you have choice of cable or fiber that it is just overwhelmingly inferior. Is it better then dialup? Yes, generally speaking. It boils down to personal need of course. If you can get a 3-6mb DSL connection for email, web and even some light gaming for $24 then it does fine for that. If you can't get it significantly cheaper though, you may as well go cable if the option is there. In my area for example DSL's best package is 8mb down 1.5 up for $44.99. My cable is $49.99 and you can see the speed test below. Bear in mind that is during peak time when the "rumored" cable split bandwidth bad time kicks in. Only seems to be affecting my upload which is usually 2.5. Given that kind of difference, I would argue that saving $5 need or not would really be a rather silly decision.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1212066960.png

Andurian
03-20-11, 04:17 PM
DSL is okay if you live close enough to it. Okay not good, I pay 5$ less now than when I had DSL and get 18.5mbit more down.

AT&T just bought T-Mobile btw.. so T-Mobile users spread some lube on your ass.
Granted they have to make it through the federal approval process for the deal. Considering the FCC just let Comcast merge with NBC I'd say we are all frelled.

likenew
03-20-11, 09:47 PM
Before I had dsl, maybe close to 5 years ago, I had charter which was and probably still is the only other easily accessible high speed in the area. Back then my cable net cost $55 a month, which was considered the medium speed, which was only at best a download of 45kb/s. When I heard about dsl from SBC(which merged with AT&T unfortunately), I switched as the price was less then $20 a month! Low and behold, I was getting max d/l speeds of 330kb/s! This was their fastest at the time too, which they have 1 tier faster dsl and then uverse of course now, but no place that i have lived could get either, and my current place is probably a block or maybe 2 houses away from faster...My current max d/l and the new place(new to me, built 2 years ago new too, and in town right behind a mall, old was like built in the 50's and between farms) is maybe 280kb/s, which makes very little sense to me...It has also gotten slower as the first months I've lived here I had 300kb/s, maybe first month that is.

I don't want to go back to charter, I've given them enough money...I'm hoping Verizon is the answer, or if I can find some other small company that is local...

Misdy
03-21-11, 04:43 AM
I got super lucky... last month I was going to switch from Time Warner to AT&T Uverse because of the connectivity problems with WoW, but we couldn't get the Uverse hooked up right (phone jack wasn't working) and ended up sticking with Time Warner. So glad we did now, because I think I definitely exceed that cap with gaming and streaming video.

AT&T claims that this is only going to impact 2% of their users, but in reality, it's a problem for everyone even if you're not going to hit that cap. It's a slippery slope. People may not be hitting the cap now, but data usage is just going to increase, and by the time average users are hitting that cap the precedent will already be set. I'd switch my phone from AT&T too, but I'm grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan.

Velvetrose
03-21-11, 08:08 AM
Hmmm...not sure WHAT I can do about this.

We have AT&T, we CAN"T get U-verse at our house but the people across the street can. I have been told that we are at the END of the cable line and there isn't enough "juice" to get to our house. The cable goes up our street...makes a turn at a cul-du-sac...continues up...goes around the outside of outside of our block...cuts across the street NEXT DOOR to us...follows around the INSIDE of our block and ends at our house. By then its too far from the "hub" for us to get U-verse. So the house to my right has U-verse, the houses across from my house have U-verse but we don't.

I downloaded a "meter" so I could see what my actual "usage" is

FarSky
03-21-11, 03:08 PM
The Secretly Horrifying Implications of AT&T's Bandwidth Caps (http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-secretly-horrifying-implications-atts-bandwidth-caps/)

trophimus
03-22-11, 09:15 AM
I am still getting an "Under Construction" message when visiting the www.MyUsage.att.com website...

ATT Tech support didn't have any idea what I was talking about when I called in to find my bandwidth usage. Now, Debbie was very nice and really did try to answer my questions, but even her supervisors didn't seem to have any clue about this new change.

Velvetrose
04-02-11, 02:27 PM
Well THIS is gonna suck since I have used 189 GB since I have downloaded my meter on March 21st to check on my usage and I haven't even really played EQII as much as usual.

Tivia
04-02-11, 03:12 PM
Well THIS is gonna suck since I have used 189 GB since I have downloaded my meter on March 21st to check on my usage and I haven't even really played EQII as much as usual.

Careful, the angry ATT man is going to be cutting you off soon for using too much internets!

likenew
04-02-11, 03:43 PM
So verizon is out...The website couldn't find me, but told me that some dsl carrier I haven't heard of does my area for verizon, which this carrier hasn't heard of my area either...Called, and the verizon phone system said the same. Sent an email saying I wanted to be a customer very badly but their phone system and residential search sucked(politely), they simply said they aren't in my area and good bye.

*sigh* dunno what to do now, go to charter, pay more, have more speed, and only a slightly higher cap which will be reached faster?