• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Registered Member
    • May 2004
    Birchum

Is EverQuest 2 a failure?

I got the game around New Years. I wasn't too busy and kind of liked it, but things started picking up so I couldnt play. I really only got to play for a few weeks at that time.

A couple weeks ago I re installed it after looking for a new game to play and it has changed quite a bit since late december. My first new character was a iksar fighter which I was hoping to convert to qeynos to be a pally but after reaching level 11 it had seemed that all of the zones were just dead, this being on the Neriak server during the day time. All of the freeport home towns were empty. So I made a new fighterm this time a half elf on Antonia Bayle, not because it is a RP server, but because it was the only server which had a "heavy" load. now this server is packed at all times. Im not sure if this considerable difference is because it is a different server or if it is because qeynos has more people.

Anyway, I really like the game this time around, it seems pretty fun albeit I am merely level 16 crusader / 9 artisan. I cannot help but think this game is not a success nor will it be as great as EQ1. In looking at the Safehouse EQ2 forum, this one, as soon as the page loads, I immediately see posts, without scrolling down, from April, still near the top.. WoW on the other hand has only posts from this month without scrolling down.

If I remember right, when I first got the game in December, there were very few 'low" populated servers. Almost all of them were medium to heavy where now I have only seen 1 heavily loaded server.

So I guess what I am asking is not a "which game is better?" question; I have played WoW and it is fun, but (I feel) way too easy. What I am asking is what the Safehouse community thinks about EQ2 now and the future of the game. Do you think it has a future? Is the game on a downswing? What do you guys think? Is the game worth getting addicted to?

p.s. I am Allani on Antonia Bayle
  • Registered Member
    • Oct 2004
    Elsebet

re: Is EverQuest 2 a failure?

Personally I like EQ2 because it's friendly to my current playstyle. At least at level 24 I can still get quite a few quests done and get plenty of xp in only a few hours a night. I've heard that changes in the higher levels, so we'll see.

I'm on Oasis, and Antonica (Qeynos outside area) is fairly empty. There was a bit of a new rush when frogloks were unlocked, but it has died down already. When we were questing there we hardly saw anyone. However Thundering Steppes (the 20+ area) seems fairly active. On the Oasis server forums there are quite a few posts bemoaning the low population of the server and speculating server consolidations already.

Perhaps it is a perception of achievement issue? In WoW I played casually, but still had a level 60 and two level 40+ characters on 3 different servers, along with a few 20's experiments. In EQ2 I am level 24 Templar, 17 Craftsman and have only been playing since May. I play about 3-4 hours an evening, maybe a tad more on the weekends. Compare this to my EQ experience in 2001 - in eight months of playing I only achieved level 40 with similar playtimes (but it was my first MMORPG).

EQ2 in my humble opinion lacks the fear that EQ had. There is not that "must have a full, perfect group" for even the simplest levelling. However that also removes some of the intrigue and sense of accomplishment from the game. I remember being in Greater Faydark in EQ Live at level 10 or so, lost and scared with no map or waypoints. I remember being terrified to die somewhere I didn't know well for fear of losing my corpse forever. None of that is in EQ2, I hit 'M' for map and it's right there, shard runs aren't mandatory, etc. More convenient for certain, but less...something I can't quite describe. (obligatory "they should have sent a poet" quote).

Comment

• Registered Member
      • Mar 2005
      bahamut1

My server is seeming to get busier. High level items are going up because of demand, but the low level items are still selling like crazy. I'm on an older server, but there is always people in the zone. In fact, take some of them please.

Freeport is normally slower as most people make "good guys", but i've been on late at night and early in the morning, and there's always people in MY zone, hunting MY mobs. :D There's always more than 1 instance of most major zones: Antonica, Commonlands, Nektulos, Thundering Steppes...

Maybe it is slower on some servers, the newness has worn off, and there are a lot of other games. Sony has nothing to worry about, and the game has changed a lot from release towards the better.

I don't think you'll EVER get that fresh new feeling like in EQ. There are so many MMORPG's out there, and, for the most part, they are all regurgitated morphs of each other. When EQ came out, it was fresh, exciting, scary, buggy :D, but that was because you had never experienced anything like it before. Even though I like EQ2 better than the original, I'll never forget hunting bears at night in the Commonlands, and BAM, "A Griffon has hit you for 243 points of damage." I'll never forget that, ever, I still have dreams, nightmares you might say, taloned birds scratching my face, hurting me... :D

Comment

• Forums Administrator
        • Apr 2000
        Fricka

I just got back from the first SOE FanFaire (meaning it wasn't just for EQLive but for EQ2, EQOA and even Planetside folks).

There was a split of folks from EQ and EQ2. I'm not sure of the actual numbers but I can tell you this though, some of those EQ2 folks had that same enthusiasm I remember from starting off in EQ. I think some of that is going to be infectious and they'll go home and maybe bring more players into EQ2. Even if they don't do that, I think EQ2 is far from being a failure if it can generate that feeling with that many folks.
        Fricka
        Safehouse Forums Administrator - Wielder of the Whip of Administration (TM)
        Fricka curtsies elegantly...while picking your pocket!
        My gaming store, now with iPhone & iPad cases!

Comment

• Registered Member
          • May 2004
          Birchum

I so far really like the game. I love the tradeskilling. I guess I was just upset that when I logged on to that random server, it was empty. AB is packed, thats for sure, and I like it that way.

I wish mobs would drop money, so far my primary income has come from geting lucky on rare drops from harvesting.

Also, I was a little turned off that this particular forum is pretty dead.

Comment

• Registered Member
            • Feb 2001
            Itzena

Numbers time: www.mmogchart.com
            Draw your own conclusions.

(Yes, I know it's not that accurate, but in the absence of anything better, it'll have to do. Also, that WoW figure got confirmed by Blizzard's press release today, so the site may be a little more accurate than some people credit).
            --
            Mistress Itzena Alhazared, Ronin Shadowknight of Vallon Zek.
            Itzena, Fallen paladin of the Forsaken, Defias Brotherhood (Eu).

"If it cannot hatch from it's shell, the chick will die without ever truly being born. We are the chick; the world is our egg. If we don't break the world's shell, we will die without truly being born. Smash the world's shell, for the Revolution of the World."

Comment

• Registered Member
              • May 2004
              FallontheWolf

I haven't played EQII yet. Partly due to my kinship with the beastlord, in which there is none in EQII. I have read the reviews and seen the movie clips of the game. The graphics look awesome. The skill tree is interesting. Of course when I do play I aim to become an Assassin.

I did take a look at MMOGCHART.com. Interesting to say the least. EQ only holding a 5% market share, at approximately 500,000 members, and EQII at approximately 250,000. I am sure that will continue to rise in the future. I was suprised to see the numbers for WOW and LineageII. I haven't played either of these games. I have played previous versions of WarCraft, not impressed, and prefer EQ by far. I played Lineage when it first came out a few years ago, again I was not impressed enough to continue play.

I will continue playing EQ, and will give EQII a go by end of summer. I am just glad that the Original still is adding content and expansion. That was a fear I had prior to EQII's release, that Sony would slow down EQ.

Anyways, I will continue playing EQ, and reading updates and player reviews of EQII. Just thought I would add my 2 coin input.

Drakelwolv Wolfhaven
              Ring Warden of the Rathe Server (Formally of the Karana Server)

"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

Comment

• Veteran
                • Feb 2000
                Brelkor

I thought it a fine game. I closed my account recently because i can't find enough time to play it.

Right now EVE is taking up my free time.
                Brelkor Blackhammer
                Wanderer of universes, conquerer of malty beverages.

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." Patton

"The last time I died, wasn't nearly this much fun." Otep

Dead men tell no tales. The undead never shut up.

Have you ever pondered the advantages and disadvantages of a hemophiliac werewolf?

Comment

• Registered Member
                  • Feb 2001
                  Itzena

Re: re: Is EverQuest 2 a failure?

FallontheWolf said:
                  I am just glad that the Original still is adding content and expansion. That was a fear I had prior to EQII's release, that Sony would slow down EQ.
                  EQ still has more subs that EQ2, and EQ2 subs figures have already peaked - that's why SOE started paying attention to EQ again, earlier this year.

(That's also why EQ's monthly fee went up as well, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. )
                  --

"If it cannot hatch from it's shell, the chick will die without ever truly being born. We are the chick; the world is our egg. If we don't break the world's shell, we will die without truly being born. Smash the world's shell, for the Revolution of the World."

Comment

• Smarm Goddess
                    • Mar 2000
                    Jhani Vandolay

FallontheWolf said:
                    I was suprised to see the numbers for WOW and LineageII. I haven't played either of these games. I have played previous versions of WarCraft, not impressed, and prefer EQ by far.
                    You're comparing Warcraft 1-3 with EQ? Huh?

As far as the OPs question goes, if you've played WoW and prefer EQ2, don't worry about what anyone else likes more, which game is more of a commercial success.. wherever you have the most fun is way more important than overall popularity. Even the least popular games still continue to truck along, and EQ2 still seems to be doing respectably when compared overall.. so it's not really likely to disappear or anything. Keep playin' it as long as you're enjoying yourself!

Comment

• Registered Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      bahamut1

Partly due to my kinship with the beastlord, in which there is none in EQII.
                      That's my biggest complaint with EQ2. I loved the beastlord class.

I have played previous versions of WarCraft, not impressed, and prefer EQ by far.
                      You can't judge WoW by the Warcraft series. The characters are similar, and the world is mostly the same, but that's about it for similarities.

Anyways, I will continue playing EQ, and reading updates and player reviews of EQII.
                      A lot of EQ players won't go to EQ2 for several reasons. They don't like the system (too easy), they have worked for 5-6 years on a character and they don't want to start over, they don't have the system specs to be able to run the game, and so on.

EQ still has more subs that EQ2, and EQ2 subs figures have already peaked - that's why SOE started paying attention to EQ again, earlier this year.
                      This isn't true at all. Yes, EQ still has more subs, but the teams working on EQ and EQ2 are completely different. Sony told everyone a LONG time ago that the EQ and EQ2 programmers and scriptors are completely different teams and that anything happening in one game does not effect the other game at all.

Also, a lot of those 500,000 subs to EQ are super accounts with EQ2 subscriptions as well, as it's only $5 to add EQ to your EQ2 subscription. EQ2 is nowhere near peak yet. EQ2 is a longer shelf life game than any other game atm. It's slower, harder and has the software in place for hardware not even out yet. No other game can say that. As people upgrade their systems, and get tired of other, easier (too easy), games, the subscriptions will just keep going up. I'm sorry, but Sony was brilliant in their design. While other games are updating graphics and gameplay, EQ2 will just be adding content. :D

Comment

• Registered Member
                        • Feb 2001
                        Itzena

bahamut1 said:
                        This isn't true at all. Yes, EQ still has more subs, but the teams working on EQ and EQ2 are completely different. Sony told everyone a LONG time ago that the EQ and EQ2 programmers and scriptors are completely different teams and that anything happening in one game does not effect the other game at all.
                        Funny how the EQ2 team is made up of anyone who showed talent from the old EQ Live teams, though. As for the 'completely seperate' part, say that SOE built their business plan on EQ2 reaching half a million or so subscribers, paying $15/month (plus the extra 'optional' costs for the magelo-alike, content patches, etc). A reasonable amount, as that is what EQ peaked at, and they think they've 'fixed the problems' with EQ.

Say $17/m on average, times 500K equals income of $8.5million/month (ignoring costs, just talking pure income to keep the maths simple)

Now, 6 months after launch, EQ2 peaked at 300K and is declining. The hypothetical business plan is shot to hell. SOE are only getting ~$5million/month...that's a $36 million dollar minimum shortfall this year - more if the subs base keeps dropping.

Now take EQ - lost about a third of its playerbase, but whatever's left is (more-or-less) stable. Hey, if the monthly price goes up most of the people who'd quit over that have quit already, so extra $$$ for SOE!
                        --

Comment

• Registered Member
                          • Mar 2005
                          bahamut1

Yeah, I see your point. That does make sense. I don't really think though that SOE was relying on a massive pilgrimage to EQ2.

First of all, if you look at the SOE boards before release, most people were saying they were going to stick with EQ. Also, if you check polls on the more dominant MMORPG sites, the number of people even thinking about moving to EQ2 was 25% or lower. Then, when they released the system specs for the game, it got worse. People were whining and moaning about having to upgrade their system, and didn't want to spend $50 for the game, $15 a month AND spend a few hundred on upgrading their system.

I really don't think it was a "surprise", but I do see that they have built a game for the future. The game is already spec'd beyond what we are capable of hardware-wise and it was already loaded with a lot more content then any game has ever been released with. You can literally level to 50 on just quests.

Comment

• Registered Member
                            • Feb 2001
                            Itzena

bahamut1 said:
                            You can literally level to 50 on just quests.
                            <Pedant>That's not unique</Pedant>
                            --

Comment

• Registered Member
                              • Oct 2004
                              Vestas

300,000 Subscriptions in 8 months and you're accusing EQ2 of failure? You know it took EQ1 about 2 years to break that. It peaked and is now declining, I guess that's your argument?

Declines in sub base are natural post launch for *most* new MMO's. WoW' aside, interest dies and those not commited to the game go elsewhere. WoW is a run away freight train, the new "gold" standard I suppose but any MMO that hits 100k + active subscription is more than profitable. Way more.

EQ2 is a success, clearly not the market leader, but that doesn't make it a failure. The game has a tremendous amount of content, tied heavily to EQ lore and attempts to appeal to a new kind of EQ gamer while retaining many aspects of the old game.

It may *seem* easier than EQ1 but that's primarily due to a steamlined interface and a more "hand held" approach to the start of the game. The raiding game in EQ2 is brutal. The hard cap on raid sizes eliminates EQ1's zerg fests, requiring all kinds of bizarre approaches to raids. I has its faults, but no more or less than other games out there.

WoW has that Blizzard tag to draw on, Lineage II has the asian market (it doesn't get its millions from the US). EQ2 has the strenght of, well, EQ. Let's be fair, EQ won over lots of people, but it alienated far far more within its lifetime. While SOE never wanted to pillage EQ accounts, by calling it EQ2 they certainly didn't open themselves up to people who didn't like EQ.

I still play EQ2 as my primary game, I've found its community and its challenge to be much closer to what I'm looking for than WoW, EQ1 or other recently released games.

Comment

Working...
                              X