• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Veteran
    • Mar 2004
    Bondori

Green Dragon illusion

Link to site. Or alternatively right-click-save-as here

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but when I saw the video I was encridibly impressed. It is perhaps one of the most jarring examples of optical illusions I have ever witnessed. In fact, I claimed shenanigans on the video until I printed one out and saw it for myself. Simply amazing.
  • Veteran
    • Apr 2004
    Aura

re: Green Dragon illusion

Yeah - this is a really cool riff on a mask illusion, standard stuff for most intro psych courses. The most frustrating thing about it, though is that even when you KNOW that the shadows are... misleading... shall we say, it is quite literally impossible to stop the illusion. The dragon's a little easier to do it with because his interesting-ness lies in his head's ability to crane, etc - but with the hollow face, you can clearly see the shadows and what they SHOULD be... it just doesn't appear. I'll see if i can dig up the video, but yeah - nice find, I'm gonna make one and put him on my bookshelf.

Woot! Found it. Linkage!

Comment

• Veteran
      • Aug 1999
      injijo

Wow that dragon is creepy. I'm gonna tape one outside of my roommates window.
      .9 repeating is not and will never be equal to 1

Comment

• Veteran
        • Apr 2004
        ragweed

OMG, that's cool

Gonna get me some nice heavy pound paper and gonna print this thing out.

Comment

• Veteran
          • Jul 1999
          deuce

Thats cool gotta print one out myself, I was watching aura's link, the movie on the right for only a second you can tell that its in its true shape. and then it looks normal again.

No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Comment

• Veteran
            • May 2004
            Synrax

Sweet. I made one and its very cool. Makes my vision kinda blurry at certain angles.

Comment

• Veteran
              • Sep 2003
              Ackar

The concave face illusion is also used a lot in the haunted mansions at the disney parks.

Comment

• Registered Member
                • May 2004
                Boot Disk

Can everyone else only see the effect if they've got one eye closed? Maybe I made mine wrong. :\

Comment

• Veteran
                  • Mar 2004
                  Daton Everon

It has to do with lighting, take a flashlight and illuminate it all over, especially from underneath so that the light is even on all of it.

The illusion works really well when the lighting is right, but with overhead light, it doesn't work, your mind won't see it concave.

For me with the lighting right, I see it with both eyes open.

Comment

• Safehouse Staff Infection
                    • Feb 2002
                    Nenjin

Yeah, I just made one. How the light plays across the concaves is like 90% of the illusion. If you've got an even distribution of light across the angles, it won't work.
                    I don't want to live in a world where there are no consequences for being stupid. A few thousand years ago these users would have been eaten by lions.

Comment

Working...
                    X