• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Administrator
    • Jul 2000
    Ruccus

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Not to be confused with the XCOM first person shooter being developed by 2K Marin (the creators of Bioshock 2), Firaxis is developing an X-COM remake (or 'reimagining') titled XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Rock, Paper, Shotgun has a three part interview with the devs, an opinion piece on what the reviewer has seen about the remake, and a 5 minute trailer featuring in-game combat footage and base building.

So far the turn based strategy 'XCOM: Enemy Unknown' seems more interesting to me than the first person shooter 'XCOM'.
  • Safehouse Staff Infection
    • Feb 2002
    Nenjin

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

It's looking pretty good to me. It still has some of the trademark visual things of a newer game (the glam cam), but they've talked a lot about how faithful to the source material, or respectful, they're trying to stay. Things like pretty deep control over your soldiers, their country flag emblazoned on their back, shows me they've got the right mindset.

Should be good times.
    Last edited by Nenjin; 03-06-12, 09:04 PM.
    I don't want to live in a world where there are no consequences for being stupid. A few thousand years ago these users would have been eaten by lions.

Comment

• Minister of Insight
      • Jul 2002
      Ponzi

The reasoning behind making a first person shooter out of xcom baffles me. The only people who would recognize the name are fans of the original, and fans of the original are going to be pretty unhappy with the genre change. At least here, they're doing a proper remake also. That trailer makes it look awesome. I've always been interested in XCOM, but the original feels quite clunky and I never felt interested in putting in the time to get used to it.

Comment

• Feb 2002
        Nenjin

Doing levels right in X-com is really time consuming. Trying to balance xp versus simply surviving the mission can be very tough, and even doing your best you might still take a casualty right at the end of the game. I avoided X-Com for a long time, but it was worth it when I finally got into it. I just couldn't spend 4 hours a level.
        I don't want to live in a world where there are no consequences for being stupid. A few thousand years ago these users would have been eaten by lions.

Comment

• Veteran
          • Apr 2001
          Yalum

I hated mid-game combat in the original game. Once the early tension has bled off and before the game-breaking superweapons are researched, it was just a terrible slog. Terror missions in particular, since there's almost no reward.

I was cautiously optimistic about the FPS version, anything to never have to comb another TftD cruise ship. This new one, I can't imagine I won't buy it. Even if the reviews are really terrible and I wait for a sale.

Comment

• Veteran
            • Dec 1969
            Ragnerokk

An indie studio is doing this.

http://www.xenonauts.com/

Ragnerokk

Comment

• Administrator
              • Jul 2000
              Ruccus

Joystiq has posted an article which includes an hour long video of the devs playing a couple missions, if you'd like to check out how the game plays.

Comment

• Head Administrator
                • Nov 1999
                ShadowCross

Loved XCOM back then.. and the new one looks pretty interesting
                ShadowCross
                Rogue at Heart, Keeper of the Ring, Safehouse Administrator

Comment

• Feb 2002
                  Nenjin

Generally pretty pleased. At first I was like "those aliens seem to be dying far too easily" but midway through the first mission things started to get intense and it started to see like the XCOM I remember, where over-extending left you with dead soldiers.

I'll be losing quite a bit of time to this when it comes out.

Comment

• Veteran
                    • Apr 2003
                    Telurinon

Nenjin said:
                    View Post
                    Generally pretty pleased. At first I was like "those aliens seem to be dying far too easily" but midway through the first mission things started to get intense and it started to see like the XCOM I remember, where over-extending left you with dead soldiers.

One of the guys I work with worked on this up until we stole him. He says the tactical game is a ton of fun. Meanwhile, the Strategic Level is designed by a guy who used to work here who is 1) a fantastic systems designer and 2) an award wining Wargame designer.

I was extremely excited about this game before learning those things, and, now, I'm even more eager to play it.
                    Skating away on the thin ice of a new day.
                    "Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it."

Comment

• Veteran
                      • Aug 2000
                      Meddik

I have been waiting for this game SO long.

Please, bring back a good tactical turn based game. I've actually considered reloading the original X-com lately, because I can't find anything but twitch games.
                      Government is like an anus; itís necessary, but itís never going to be anything pretty or worth celebrating.
                      - Frank J., www.imao.us

Comment

• Administrator
                        • Jul 2000
                        Ruccus

Nenjin said:
                        View Post

What I liked was both when the best squad member died in each mission (nobody's untouchable), and in the second mission one of the rookies panics while the other one 'steps up' with a big crit on a cyberdisc (47:00), rescues three civilians, and makes some good shots (hitting on a 55% and two 49% shots) while going solo flanking around the building.

Comment

• Head Administrator
                          • Nov 1999
                          ShadowCross

http://store.steampowered.com/news/8810/

Pre-Purchase XCOM: Enemy Unknown now and help unlock special rewards. Possible rewards include the Elite Soldier pack, 3 Exclusive XCOM TF2 items, and Civilization V. Check out the store page for more details.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown will place you in control of a secret paramilitary organization called XCOM. As the XCOM commander, you will defend against a terrifying global alien invasion by managing resources, advancing technologies, and overseeing combat strategies and individual unit tactics.

The original XCOM is widely regarded as one of the best games ever made and has now been re-imagined by the strategy experts at Firaxis Games. XCOM: Enemy Unknown will expand on that legacy with an entirely new invasion story, enemies and technologies to fight aliens and defend Earth.

You will control the fate of the human race through researching alien technologies, creating and managing a fully operational base, planning combat missions and controlling soldier movement in battle.
                          ShadowCross
                          Rogue at Heart, Keeper of the Ring, Safehouse Administrator

Comment

• Veteran
                            • Aug 2000
                            Thwick

Talk about pre-order shenanigans!

Comment

• Queen Of Chaos
                              • Jul 1999
                              Koru

Yeah I noticed that. Look, I know we all love kickstarter tier'd push goals but maaaaybe this is starting to become just as silly as DLC craziness is with some publishers.

Comment

Working...
                              X