Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Bay says 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' are aliens, reinvents origin story

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Veteran
    • Sep 2003
    Ackar

Michael Bay says 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' are aliens, reinvents origin story

At the annual Nickelodeon upfront presentation last week, über-producer Michael Bay revealed details for Platinum Dunes’ upcoming live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, including a new origin story for the half-shell heroes that is sure to raise the ire of diehard fans.

“When you see this movie, kids are going to believe one day these turtles actually do exist when we are done with this movie,” said Bay as he took the stage to discuss his new vision for the reptilian reboot. “These turtles are from an alien race, and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely loveable.”

In the original mythology, four baby turtles fall into the sewer and come into contact with glowing radioactive ooze, which mutates them into four bad-ass warriors trained in ninjutsu by astute rodent Splinter. But could the rewriting of the Turtles’ origin story dissuade some fans from embracing the newest incarnation? A comic book-to-movie adaptation’s worst nightmare is bad pre-publicity, and Bay may have generated that in about 30 words.

On the flip side, it might seem outrageous to non-fans of the series that Teenage Mutant Ninja purists are offended by the new mythos of Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo. Truth, we might sound a wee bit ridiculous when we cry out, “I can’t believe Bay says they’re aliens when they’re obviously derived from radioactive slime!” But Bay is essentially erasing almost 30 years of love for transmogrified adolescent reptile ninjas by claiming each turtle is less of a fearsome, fighting toxic anomaly and more of a forest green E.T. with nunchucks.
  • Count Monster-rod
    Von Hugenstein
    • Jul 2000
    DarthEnderX

Re: Michael Bay says 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' are aliens, reinvents origin stor

So basically, to avoid having to use a new script, he's just replacing the Transformers with Ninja Turtles.

Comment

• Veteran
      • Jan 2000
      Kambic

Re: Michael Bay says 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' are aliens, reinvents origin stor

No, they are not aliens.

Read title please.

Comment

• Veteran
        • May 2004
        Xynn

Maybe they are mutant aliens?

Yeah no, this is garbage. But itll be huge because kids want to see big explosions and cool special effects. Michael Bay is becoming the *** **** of the US. Except you know... his movies make a TON of money.

Comment

• E-peen attack now has chance of causing Stun!
          • Feb 2001
          Zeno

I hate Michael Bay. Transformers was already ruined and made a mockery of, now he wants to crap all over my beloved TMNTs?

What's next? Put him in charge of a Ghostbusters movie?
          ~~Formerly Slikkrogue~~

Comment

• Administrator
            • Jul 2000
            Ruccus

Kambic said:
            View Post
            No, they are not aliens.

Read title please.
            That's what I was thinking - the words 'turtles' and 'mutant' aren't open for discussion.

I haven't seen Uwe Boll lately - are we sure he hasn't killed Michael Bay and is wearing him like a suit?

Comment

• Veteran
              • Jun 2001
              Matheren

Oh my ****ing god.

MAYBE THEY CAN USE ALIEN LASERGUNS AND SPLINTER CAN BE ANOTHER ALIEN FROM THE PLANET RATTO AND THEY HIDE IN THE SEWERS BECAUSE THE SUN IS DANGEROUS TO THEIR ALIEN KIND

Comment

• Count Monster-rod
                Von Hugenstein
                • Jul 2000
                DarthEnderX

I mean, if we can all step back from being insane fanboys for a second. It's actually not any stupider than their REAL origin.

Of the two main taglines for this story, "Ninja Turtles now aliens" is actually far less offensive to me than "Michael Bay making TMNT movie".
                Last edited by DarthEnderX; 03-19-12, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Feb 2001
                  Zeno

DarthEnder said:
                  View Post
                  I mean, if we can all step back from being insane fanboys for a second. It's actually not any stupider than their REAL origin.

Of the two main taglines for this story, "Ninja Turtles now aliens" is actually far less offensive to me than "Michael Bay making TMNT movie".
                  I loved the cartoon intro, seeing innocent little baby turtles get mutated into badass teenage mutant ninja turtles.

So yes, it does make a difference to me. It implies they were never turtles to begin with, as any species from another planet could not be turtles by definition.
                  ~~Formerly Slikkrogue~~

Comment

• Safehouse Staff Infection
                    • Feb 2002
                    Nenjin

I can let go of my childhood enjoyment of TMNT, bad movies and all. But basic title/content agreement? That's going to take some serious head trauma to let go of.

I didn't even read the news article on CNN when I saw it, I knew it was going to be ****. Now I can add a facepalm to that. I think Bay has decided the internet can suck it and now he's just intentionally goading people.
                    I don't want to live in a world where there are no consequences for being stupid. A few thousand years ago these users would have been eaten by lions.

Comment

• Veteran
                      • Aug 1999
                      injijo

DarthEnder said:
                      View Post

It IS dumber than the real origin by virtue of the existance of a real origin. Changing a cornerstone detail of a 30 year IP is dumber than the IP being dumb from the beginning. Additionally, it takes a true ****ing egomaniac to actually do it.

I do however agree that "Michael Bay makes TMNT movie" is worse than "Ninja Turtles are Aliens." Unfortunatly, in this case they are both true, which is horrific.
                      .9 repeating is not and will never be equal to 1

Comment

• Feb 2001
                        Zeno

injijo said:
                        View Post
                        It IS dumber than the real origin by virtue of the existance of a real origin. Changing a cornerstone detail of a 30 year IP is dumber than the IP being dumb from the beginning. Additionally, it takes a true ****ing egomaniac to actually do it.

I do however agree that "Michael Bay makes TMNT movie" is worse than "Ninja Turtles are Aliens." Unfortunatly, in this case they are both true, which is horrific.
                        Everything said here.

Michael Bay sucks.
                        ~~Formerly Slikkrogue~~

Comment

• Veteran
                          • Jun 2001
                          Andurian

His lifes goal is to set up situations that allow him to blow up the most ****.

The bombing of Alcatraz in The Rock was his first hit, now he's a junky.

As an aside, I cannot believe it's the same man that did The Rock anymore.
                          "Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves." - Bill Hicks

Comment

• Veteran
                            • Apr 2002
                            Pearll

The Ninja Turtles are not aliens. Why? Because they were created by the same accident that gave Daredevil his powers. Of course, Daredevil was never named, but it was done intentionally. Remember that the comics were started as a parody of the genre.

Also, the new comic book series kick ass. Seriously. Check them out. The origin is slightly changed, but it still works.

Comment

• Veteran
                              • Apr 2001
                              Yalum

Suddenly, Miyamoto Usagi is Bucky O'Hare.

Comment

Working...
                              X