• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Veteran
    • Dec 2001
    Biggwin

Mother @#$%, @#$% sucking @#$%holes

So tonight I get a phone call from a credit card company stating that I owe them $19,500 with interest climbing daily.

I am very familiar with the whole give a little bit of information to get more information back routine. I made him give me all of my information, which he had. Social security number, Home phone (unlisted), Cell (unlisted), Work Number (big corporation, unlisted), said he talked to my wife (had her cell number) and at one point they say my wife told her that I was in the hospital with kidney failure on dialisis(sp), which i do not have nor ever did or was, and was why she was talking for me.

I asked him to fax me a copy of the charges at which point he told me that because I was asserting these were not my charges he could not do that. To which I was very lery of. So other than acknowledging that my name was Biggwin I never gave him any other information (never even repeated my information back as he read it to me, nor did I agree that it was my information even though it was) but asked him for his contact information and told him someone would contact him tomorrow.

So unless my wife has a secret gambling addiction and is getting her butt kicked I can account for 90% of all my cash spent in the time frame he gave for the charges. Going through the wife's closet there is nothing there she didn't tell me she bought when she bought it... so I am guessing I have been ID thieved!
  • Veteran
    • May 2004
    Xynn

Re: Mother @#$%, @#$% sucking @#$%holes

First thing in the morning call the compan yourself. This whole thing sounds VERY fishy. Credit card companies are supposed to send you statements when you demand them. His refusal to send you anything makes it sound like maybe hes the one trying to commit fraud. I would call your company and ask them what is going on, and maybe even put a temporary freeze on your credit line to make sure no one tries to grab it without you putting a release on it first.

Comment

• Veteran
      • Feb 2002
      Cantatus

Did he give you his contact information? If so, and he's attempting to commit credit fraud, that's definitely something that should be brought to the attention of the authorities.
      Beware of the Paragon City Touristry Board!

Comment

• Ask me about Testosterone!
        • Mar 2002
        Lilum

Things like this make me feel less like crap about my crappy credit rating.

Comment

• Veteran
          • Jul 1999
          deuce

how does one commit more fraud by having your personal information already? Wouldnt he just use it to get credit cards and the sort in his name?

No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Comment

• Veteran
            • Oct 2000
            Loreleli

Contact Clark Howard via e-mail or clal during his show. Say nothing to anyone over the phone. They will send you a letter if it is legit. When you receive the letter, you have 30 days to contest the debt; if not, then you acknowledge the debt by default.

http://clarkhoward.com/

He's a national radio personality who's a consumer advocate for years.

Here's his list of scams:

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/6/

It might have been someone phishing to confirm your info. If you have a debt, they do not need your social security info at all. They will have an account number for them to use to track the debt. Do you shread or burn your junk mail? Do you drop off all bills at the US Post Office verses mail box?

Georgia has a huge meth problem, and users funds their addiction by robbing mailboxes. I take all mail to the USPO.
            The college idealists who fill the ranks of the environmental movement seem willing to do absolutely anything to save the biosphere, except take science courses and learn something about it. -- P.J. O'Rourke

Democracy is a form of religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses. -- H.L. Mencken

Comment

• Registered Member
              • Jul 2004
              Estebar

Note, you should look up the phone information for the company separately and use that to call back for more information instead of the number he gave you.

Comment

• Veteran
                • Dec 2001
                Biggwin

I called the number on their web page and he is legit... now have to figure out what the hell happened!

Comment

• Minister of Insight
                  • Jul 2002
                  Ponzi

I'd still be careful; the web page could be bogus as well. That whole "you owe us money, no I'm not telling you why" thing makes it sound like this is a shady operation at best.

Comment

• Veteran
                    • Oct 2000
                    Loreleli

Biggwin said:
                    I called the number on their web page and he is legit... now have to figure out what the hell happened!
                    Anyone can have a web page, contact better Business Burea (BBB) and the Attorney General of the State ( In GA they are how a company can incorporate/license to practice in the state) to see if he/they are legit.

Not until he/they send you a letter to collect the debt, you have no neccessary action. A phone call means nothing. Whatever you do, do not acknowledge the debt or make any statements that can be construed as recognizing it. Collection agency wants 1 thing: money. They don't care it it's yours or Jimmy Joe Bob down the steet, no matter how friendly they seem on the phone.

Please contact a consumer advocate and/or a lawyer. If you are the victim of identifity theft, this is only the start.

From Clark Howard, the link I provided above:

Identity Theft Guide

If someone is using your identity and cashing your checks or credit cards, you should:
                    Report the situation immediately to your bank or credit card company. You may not have monetary liability because forgery and/or fraud is involved, but you will want the companies to be aware of the problem, as this is something that could affect your credit. In addition, follow these instructions to fully protect yourself:

a) Contact all three credit bureaus and issue a fraud alert. Check your credit report six months later and look for items you don't recognize.
                    b) Provide a copy of your driver's license to each agency's fraud unit in order to register an affidavit.
                    c) Contact the proper authorities in writing, via certified receipt request.
                    d) Inform your local police department, Social Security Administration and all creditors with whom you have accounts.

Credit bureaus:
                    Equifax: 800-525-6285
                    Experian: 888-397-3742
                    Transunion: 800-680-7289
                    SSA Fraud Hotline: 800-269-0271

If a thief steals your identity and begins racking up debt:
                    A) Contact the fraud units of the three credit reporting agencies. Request that your account be flagged and add a victim's statement saying, "MY ID has been used to fraudulently apply for credit. Call me at this number to verify all applications." Find out how long the fraud alert will be posted and how to extend it if you need to. Check your credit report and look for items you don't recognize.

B) Contact your credit card companies and financial institutions to report the fraud. Get new cards, have old accounts colsed with a memo stating, "account closed at customer's request." Follow up in writing.

C) Call the police and get the crime on record, then get a copy of the police report. Keep a log of all conversations including date, name, phone number, and the information provided.

D) Notify the Federal Trade Commission, which keeps a database of identity thefts. Phone: (888) FTC-HELP; Address: FTC, CRC-40, Washington D.C. 20580.

E) Notify you bank and if necessary, cancel checking and savings accounts and get new account numbers. Request a password that may be used in every transaction. Get a new ATM card, account number and password. Don't use your SS # or birthdate as a password.

F) Don't pay any bill or part of a bill resulting from identity theft.
                    ----------------------------------------
                    I'm by no means an expert, but I would recommend calling Clark's show. He's awesome.
                    Last edited by Loreleli; 06-01-07, 04:54 PM.
                    The college idealists who fill the ranks of the environmental movement seem willing to do absolutely anything to save the biosphere, except take science courses and learn something about it. -- P.J. O'Rourke

Democracy is a form of religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses. -- H.L. Mencken

Comment

• Veteran
                      • Dec 2001
                      Biggwin

a-f done. it is really a legit bill through capitol one, filed police report, claim being investigated.

Comment

• Veteran
                        • Mar 2000
                        Morvran

So you're saying that someone got ahold of card numbers or the like and charged a bunch of **** on your account?
                        Morvran McGuinness {Shanks} *retired Barbarian rogue of the North, Vallon Zek
                        The more you leave dead, the less you need to watch your back

Comment

• Veteran
                          • Dec 2001
                          Biggwin

yep

Comment

• Veteran
                            • Oct 2000
                            Loreleli

best of luck with it! keep us posted.

FYI: capital one is a card that's listed by Clark as shady business practices with fees/percentages, etc.

Comment

• Veteran
                              • May 2004
                              Talius

Did you get a listed statement? What neat things did "you" buy?

Comment

Working...
                              X