• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Veteran
    • May 1999
    Chromite

Dell 2408WFP 24" S-PVA LCD Monitor

So, I've posted about this monitor in my computer build thread as it seems to have just about everything that I want. Just thought I'd make a thread in case anyone else wanted to check it out.

It's finally available for purchase from Dell for $699.00. I was able to get 20% off on it through my company discount

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-6272

I'll let you know how I like it and whether or not I keep it or if there's any problems with it.

There's been some initial test reports on HardOCP as someone has already received one:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1276368

All signs point to it being an awesome monitor. And the big awesome thing is that it's not a TN panel! Yay!
  • Administrator
    • Jul 2000
    Ruccus

Re: Dell 2408WFP 24" S-PVA LCD Monitor

I've never understood some people's immediate dismissal of a monitor for having a TN panel. The colour reproduction of TN panels should be perfectly acceptable to most users, the viewing angle of a TN panel is acceptable since it'll be sitting right in front of you, and a TN panel can actually be advantageous for games due to its normally fast pixel response times. Add that they're cheap so TN monitors offer good value for your money.

While S-PVA screens are overall better than TN screens, TN panels can provide users with good value and acceptable visual quality.

Comment

• Veteran
      • May 1999
      Chromite

That's cool, maybe you just can't see the same problems or aren't annoyed by the same problems I am.

I'll take an ever so slight minute delay in reaction time for games in exchange for pristine color tone from most angles along with all the video inputs on this baby.

See, I'm very into photography and video encoding. I need to be able to see colors evenly and from quite a few angles (i.e. if I am leaning back, slumping, leaning forward, standing, etc..)

I can't get that with a TN panel. I don't like to have to be at one exact point of view constantly to be able to see consistent colors and contrast on my monitor.

While you say that color representation should be acceptable for most users, I am clearly not one of those "most users". As I said this will be my first purchase ever of an LCD panel because as of yet I hadn't seen anything that would meet my needs and quality.

Comment

• Registered Member
        • Jan 2003
        nekoken

Ruccus said:
        I've never understood some people's immediate dismissal of a monitor for having a TN panel. The colour reproduction of TN panels should be perfectly acceptable to most users, the viewing angle of a TN panel is acceptable since it'll be sitting right in front of you, and a TN panel can actually be advantageous for games due to its normally fast pixel response times. Add that they're cheap so TN monitors offer good value for your money.

While S-PVA screens are overall better than TN screens, TN panels can provide users with good value and acceptable visual quality.
        TN is good enough for gaming but not good enough for accurate color reproduction for artwork or photography. I think we have about 7 different LCDs in the house, and I still do all color sensitive Photoshop/Painter work and scanning on a machine with a 17" Viewsonic VX700 (MVA panel.) None of the TN panels around the house have good enough color, and the bigger MVA panel, a VX900, doesn't have enough contrast.

Make sure you post your impressions of the new Dell, Chromite. I'm finally going to get around to getting a 24" widescreen myself in the near future. Right now the Samsung 245T is at the top of my list but I'm definitely looking for alternatives.
        Narsse Nekoken

Comment

• Veteran
          • May 1999
          Chromite

Yeah the Samsung 245T was at the top of my list too, until I found out about the non 1:1 scaling ability of the inputs. Also, it scales 16:9 ratio to 16:10 so all of my PS3 output would be stretched vertically.

The Dell uses a Samsung panel with S-PVA as far as I can tell. S-PVA is Samsung specific so the Dell will have a similar panel to the 245T most likely. (Both are S-PVA)

The Dell allows all the controls, scaling and inputs that I need plus it includes a DisplayPort input as well as a second DVI input. That's just awesome.

My monitor should be arriving tomorrow. I can't wait

Comment

• Veteran
            • May 1999
            Chromite

Incidentally, if you want some monitor testing tools, here's a good site for them:

http://tft.vanity.dk/

Has both .exes (well, flash embedded in an .exe) plus browser versions.

Comment

• E-peen attack now has chance of causing Stun!
              • Feb 2001
              Zeno

Chromite said:
              Yeah the Samsung 245T was at the top of my list too, until I found out about the non 1:1 scaling ability of the inputs. Also, it scales 16:9 ratio to 16:10 so all of my PS3 output would be stretched vertically.

The Dell uses a Samsung panel with S-PVA as far as I can tell. S-PVA is Samsung specific so the Dell will have a similar panel to the 245T most likely. (Both are S-PVA)

The Dell allows all the controls, scaling and inputs that I need plus it includes a DisplayPort input as well as a second DVI input. That's just awesome.

My monitor should be arriving tomorrow. I can't wait
              I just got the SAMSUNG 2693HM:
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...k=samsung%2b26

Samsung has a rebate for it, I basically picked it up for $600 at Fry's... Price went up on Newegg, it *was* $560 a few days ago.
              It doesn't have the scaling issue you mentioned above - not sure if it's the same model line or not.

At any rate, I went from a 19" CRT to a 25.5" viewable LCD, and I love it!

My main complaint? The touch buttons on the monitor aren't labeled with a bright font, so I have to actually turn on my light in order to adjust my monitor - which of course affects my calibration of it! I'm contemplating putting little dots of glow-in-the-dark paint on pieces of scotch tape and placing those on the monitor....

Let me know what you think of your new monitor - I have a friend who's looking into buying one.
              ~~Formerly Slikkrogue~~

Comment

• Veteran
                • Mar 2000
                notwen

Would any of you fine gentlemen be able to offer me advice on a monitor?

I'm looking for a 22" widescreen with 1:1 pixel mapping. Preferably under $300.

Edit: other thoughts... am I reading comments in other forums correctly that it appears nvidia drivers will force correct pixel mapping to the monitor? I assume by generating pillar boxes to preserve aspect ratio for 4:3 content? Not quite the same thing of course but it might be good enough. Honestly that's really what I'm after here. This won't be used for consoles or anything, just computer applications, and I need to be able to preserve 4:3 content.
                Last edited by notwen; 02-27-08, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Veteran
                  • May 1999
                  Chromite

I know it's possible to do that but I'm not sure it's part of the default drivers. You might need something like PowerStrip.

Comment

• Veteran
                    • May 1999
                    Chromite

notwen you might want to check out this thread on the Anandtech forums: http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=2049206

Just do a search for Reccomendations and you'll get to the section where they recommend monitors for situations (Office Work, Gaming, Multimedia, etc)

Make sure to check prices for any monitors you may like online since the prices in that thread might not be updated regularly.

Comment

• Veteran
                      • Mar 2000
                      notwen

Thanks, that thread is a pretty good resource.

Comment

• Veteran
                        • Mar 2000
                        notwen

I ended up purchasing a Dell, which unfortunately also has no scaling options onboard.

However, I was happy to find that the nVidia ForceWare drivers handle it well in software, so no problems! :D Wife is happy her Heroes will not be all stretched and stuff.

Comment

• Veteran
                          • May 1999
                          Chromite

I just got my Dell 2408WFP and it's pretty damn nice!

I haven't had a chance to go through and test everything but the few tests I did went through fine.

No dead pixels. No high amounts of backlight bleeding. Lovely even colors from many viewing angles.

It's a pretty damn nice monitor. I've spent most of the night playing with my PS3. It's like a whole new system again

PixelJunk Monsters for the win!

notwen, what dell did you get? Mine has the ability to go 1:1, "Aspect" mode and "Fill" mode. Fill mode is the devil. It massacres the aspect ratio like people do with their HDTVs.

Comment

• Veteran
                            • Jan 2001
                            Aidden

Just ordered 3 of these for evaluation in the lab to replace all of our bench monitors with them.

The fact it can support pretty much any kind of connection, including display port is what is likely to seal the deal for us. When you plan on buying ~100 of these things you want to make sure its future proofed.

Comment

• Veteran
                              • May 1999
                              Chromite

Well, I found a dead/stuck pixel. I didn't notice it until I was testing the composite connection with my PS3. It showed up instantly and very evident in composite but very hard to see in DVI mode.

Soo.... hopefully going to get this thing exchanged.

If you care about dead/stuck pixels make sure that you test with multiple inputs... some show it better than others.

Comment

Working...
                              X