Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

recommended networking hardware for this setup

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Veteran
    • Mar 2000
    Dragynphyre

    recommended networking hardware for this setup

    I had originally this set up with two Linksys WR54G routers, but the one upstairs apparently started flaking out and then my brother said he couldn't connect to the downstairs wireless using the instructions I had left (which I wrote up as I did it and everything worked fine when I set it up).

    They tried to "fix" it and made it so much worse, and this is really crazy considering that no one at any time had access to the admin settings on the routers but me. Mom's currently connected directly to the cable modem right now, and downstairs has no internet.

    I want to give them as foolproof a solution as possible that gives them little room to screw up.

    Wanted to upload a diagram, but no way to upload from here at work. Hopefully this is descriptive enough.

    cable line in goes to cable modem

    cable modem CAT5 ethernet connection to [1 - router or ethernet hub?]

    direct CAT5 ethernet connection from [1] to Mom's PC (upstairs)

    direct CAT5 ethernet connection to [2-router or wireless access point?] downstairs

    2 laptops and PS3 Slim connect wirelessly to [2]
  • Veteran
    • Feb 2002
    Hordolin Awanagin

    #2
    Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

    You should only need 1 router/access point unless you can't see the downstairs wireless from upstairs.

    Edit:
    wall to cable modem, cable modem to wr54g, cat 5 to upstairs. No need for any equipment point between the cable modem and the router.
    Last edited by Hordolin Awanagin; 02-13-12, 09:59 AM.
    You know you're bored when you run the original Zork on an Apple ][ emulator in SuSe running as a virtual machine on Vista64.

    Comment

    • Veteran
      • Mar 2000
      Dragynphyre

      #3
      Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

      Hordolin Awanagin said:
      View Post
      You should only need 1 router/access point unless you can't see the downstairs wireless from upstairs.

      Edit:
      wall to cable modem, cable modem to wr54g, cat 5 to upstairs. No need for any equipment point between the cable modem and the router.
      Cable modem feed actually comes in upstairs next to Mom's PC, can I just put a router (non-wireless if it's cheaper) upstairs and a wireless access point downstairs?

      Something like this:

      Upstairs Wall > Upstairs Modem > Upstairs Router > PC1

      Upstairs Router > Downstairs WAP > PC2, PC3, PS3

      Can't put the modem downstairs, no cable lines down there (he has Direct TV) and would be more of a problem to get a cable feed down there.

      Comment

      • Veteran
        • Feb 2002
        Hordolin Awanagin

        #4
        Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

        Still shouldn't need two. Same setup but the router upstairs. Unless you have issues picking up the wireless downstairs. Which you really shouldn't unless you have lots of copper pipes and metal stud walls. Is there anything downstairs that uses the cat-5?
        You know you're bored when you run the original Zork on an Apple ][ emulator in SuSe running as a virtual machine on Vista64.

        Comment

        • Minister of Insight
          • Jul 2002
          Ponzi

          #5
          Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

          Most wireless routers have enough range to cover a normal sized house, as well as 4 or 5 ports on the back for wired connections. Unless you live in a really big or very radio unfriendly house, one connected to the cable modem upstairs should be enough.

          You probably don't need to buy anything either.

          Linksys routers usually have a reset button somewhere on them, so hold it down for 30 seconds, then reconnect it, just to clear out whatever changes were made to it. Unless your isp tells you differently, you can probably leave everything at its default settings aside from choosing a wireless network name and a password for it. Probably smart to change the router settings password as well.

          Comment

          • Veteran
            • Mar 2000
            Dragynphyre

            #6
            Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

            Hordolin Awanagin said:
            View Post
            Still shouldn't need two. Same setup but the router upstairs. Unless you have issues picking up the wireless downstairs. Which you really shouldn't unless you have lots of copper pipes and metal stud walls. Is there anything downstairs that uses the cat-5?
            Unfortunately, the copper pipes, iron beams, and concrete had blocked the signal quite effectively... tried a long time ago to pick up the signal down there and it didn't work, even with a signal booster halfway down the back stairs. The solution had been to drop a cat5 down - I added a WAP later when my brother wanted to connect his PC and PS3 wirelessly.

            It appears that the upstairs router just went flakey (could get 'net when connected directly to modem, but not with the router in between - it would drop within a minute of booting), so I'm replacing that.

            After I install the new router, I will connect with my laptop and see where the signal drops - I MIGHT be able to get this to work without WAP since the newer router might have more 'oomph'

            If I have to, I'll re-use the other old Linksys as the downstairs access point, as it had been. Will re-set and start from scratch. Hopefully it is not completely flaked out too - electronics and smokers don't mix well.

            Comment

            • Veteran
              • Mar 2000
              Dragynphyre

              #7
              Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

              Well, apparently the new N routers are a hella lot better than the old G ones I was using - walked around with my laptop and the signal downstairs was 4/5 bars. I also plugged in the cat5 cable just in case they want a wired connection

              Comment

              • Veteran
                • Aug 2001
                braincandy99

                #8
                Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

                Yeah, the N routers have much more penetrating thetons.

                Comment

                • Veteran
                  • Jun 2004
                  likenew

                  #9
                  Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

                  I'm curious if one of those powerline(is that what its called? goes in a plug outlet...) would be a good setup for big homes like that.

                  I kind of miss being wireless, when I was on dsl my modem was a wireless n gigabit router, not a very good one mind you due to overheating. But I can't decide what to get now that I'm cable. I did get a cheap switch for this area, pc ps3 wii etc, though.
                  likenew shinycoins of cazic thule

                  My first blog

                  Comment

                  • Veteran
                    • Feb 2002
                    PsiKoTicK

                    #10
                    Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

                    Yeah, powerline is good, especially in newer homes with clean wiring.

                    I have a Buffalo N Gigabit router, wired into a Netgear gigabit switch in my attic... that switch goes to the other 3 bedrooms upstairs and 1 downstairs to my TV, where I have another Netgear gigabit switch for my Media Center, Xbox, and PS3 (and bluray player and receiver but they don't use it much).

                    The Wifi reaches throughout my 2100 square foot house - my lowest signal is 2 bars and that's random (usually I get 3 bars everywhere, but 2 bars in the same spots sometimes).

                    Not sure why you need multiple N access points, heh. But I think you figured that out

                    Comment

                    • Weird Store
                      Snack Pervert
                      • Dec 2003
                      Tivia

                      #11
                      Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

                      likenew said:
                      View Post
                      I'm curious if one of those powerline(is that what its called? goes in a plug outlet...) would be a good setup for big homes like that.

                      I kind of miss being wireless, when I was on dsl my modem was a wireless n gigabit router, not a very good one mind you due to overheating. But I can't decide what to get now that I'm cable. I did get a cheap switch for this area, pc ps3 wii etc, though.
                      PsiKoTicK said:
                      View Post
                      Yeah, powerline is good, especially in newer homes with clean wiring.

                      I have a Buffalo N Gigabit router, wired into a Netgear gigabit switch in my attic... that switch goes to the other 3 bedrooms upstairs and 1 downstairs to my TV, where I have another Netgear gigabit switch for my Media Center, Xbox, and PS3 (and bluray player and receiver but they don't use it much).

                      The Wifi reaches throughout my 2100 square foot house - my lowest signal is 2 bars and that's random (usually I get 3 bars everywhere, but 2 bars in the same spots sometimes).

                      Not sure why you need multiple N access points, heh. But I think you figured that out


                      Wiring is everything when it comes to powerline. I have seen new homes that were poorly wired that resulted in terrible powerline connections. That said for most connections even a large house a Good wireless N and a couple access points in the far reaches is the easiest and most stable setup. However if you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty, it really isn't terribly difficult to run cat5 straight up into the attic or straight down into the basement/crawlspace then back up or down another wall respectively.

                      "Check out my youtube channel. Featuring League of Legends, FFXIV:ARR, gameplay and commentary."

                      Comment

                      • Veteran
                        • May 2004
                        Vilkata Tasavalt

                        #12
                        Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

                        When I moved into my fiancee's house, she wouldn't let me run cat5 to the computer room :( I tried running on wireless for a few months, but my GODS is that slow for file copying and such. I installed the Netgear Powerline adapters and have been very happy with it. Did some speed testing and it is coming out much faster than my wireless ever did, with a lot less latency.

                        Comment

                        • Weird Store
                          Snack Pervert
                          • Dec 2003
                          Tivia

                          #13
                          Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup

                          Yea, powerline are quite good in certain instances. It is like anything else, all depends on the circumstances what the best solution is.

                          "Check out my youtube channel. Featuring League of Legends, FFXIV:ARR, gameplay and commentary."

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X