TheSafehouse

If you have any trouble sounding condescending, find a Unix user to show you how it's done.- Scott Adams

Safehouse Forums

Safehouse Site Info

The end is nigh

FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

SHStaff
Safehouse Staff

SAFEHOUSE NEWS: Cryptic Studios Announces Champions Online
Reply With Quote   #1

SUMMARY: <p>Today the creators of City of Heroes, Cryptic Studios, announced their next project: <a href="http://www.champions-online.com/">Champions Online</a>.&nbsp; Champions Online is based on the&nbsp;Champions paper and pencil RPG originally published in 1981 by <a href="http://www.herogames.com/home.htm">HERO Games</a>.</p>
<p>According to the HERO Games (creators of Champions and the HERO System rules), Cryptic has purchased both Champions and Dark Champions IP.</p>
<p>Click 'Read the full story...' for the press release.</p>

View full article
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Marbh
Veteran

Re: SAFEHOUSE NEWS: Cryptic Studios Announces Champions Online
Reply With Quote   #2

The Open beta is happening soon, and it's starting to look pretty nice.

Meddik
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #3

What are some of the major changes from COH?

Government is like an anus; itís necessary, but itís never going to be anything pretty or worth celebrating.
- Frank J., www.imao.us
Ruccus
Administrator

Reply With Quote   #4

Marbh said:
The Open beta is happening soon, and it's starting to look pretty nice.
You mean the "Fileplanet 50,000 code beta" in which you have to sign up for fileplanet to download the beta (with paying Fileplanet subscribers getting to download the beta before the start of the beta, and non-paying subscribers downloading when the beta starts) and hope you get one of the 50,000 spots.

Those who don't pre-order the game have to be one of the 50,000 lucky ones (not sure if paying FilePlanet customers will automatically get into the beta, and if so not sure they'd be included in the 50,000 code number). Regardless, it isn't an open beta and I doubt I'll try out the game before it goes live (therefore I doubt I'll try out the game after it goes live either).

I don't jump through hoops in order to try to give game developers my money for a game; they have to show me the game is worth my money, and a few decisions Cryptic has made (soliciting customers through CoH, microtransactions, a semi-closed 'open' beta requiring a FilePlanet subscription) has discouraged me from wanting to try out the game.