TheSafehouse

One day I shall sit atop a throne of fortune. Guarded on all sides by blades of reputation.

Safehouse Forums

Safehouse Site Info

The end is nigh

FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dragynphyre
Veteran

recommended networking hardware for this setup
Reply With Quote   #1

I had originally this set up with two Linksys WR54G routers, but the one upstairs apparently started flaking out and then my brother said he couldn't connect to the downstairs wireless using the instructions I had left (which I wrote up as I did it and everything worked fine when I set it up).

They tried to "fix" it and made it so much worse, and this is really crazy considering that no one at any time had access to the admin settings on the routers but me. Mom's currently connected directly to the cable modem right now, and downstairs has no internet.

I want to give them as foolproof a solution as possible that gives them little room to screw up.

Wanted to upload a diagram, but no way to upload from here at work. Hopefully this is descriptive enough.

cable line in goes to cable modem

cable modem CAT5 ethernet connection to [1 - router or ethernet hub?]

direct CAT5 ethernet connection from [1] to Mom's PC (upstairs)

direct CAT5 ethernet connection to [2-router or wireless access point?] downstairs

2 laptops and PS3 Slim connect wirelessly to [2]

Hordolin Awanagin
Veteran

Re: recommended networking hardware for this setup
Reply With Quote   #2

You should only need 1 router/access point unless you can't see the downstairs wireless from upstairs.

Edit:
wall to cable modem, cable modem to wr54g, cat 5 to upstairs. No need for any equipment point between the cable modem and the router.

You know you're bored when you run the original Zork on an Apple ][ emulator in SuSe running as a virtual machine on Vista64.

Last edited by Hordolin Awanagin; 02-13-12 at 08:59 AM.
Dragynphyre
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #3

Hordolin Awanagin said:
You should only need 1 router/access point unless you can't see the downstairs wireless from upstairs.

Edit:
wall to cable modem, cable modem to wr54g, cat 5 to upstairs. No need for any equipment point between the cable modem and the router.
Cable modem feed actually comes in upstairs next to Mom's PC, can I just put a router (non-wireless if it's cheaper) upstairs and a wireless access point downstairs?

Something like this:

Upstairs Wall > Upstairs Modem > Upstairs Router > PC1

Upstairs Router > Downstairs WAP > PC2, PC3, PS3

Can't put the modem downstairs, no cable lines down there (he has Direct TV) and would be more of a problem to get a cable feed down there.

Hordolin Awanagin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #4

Still shouldn't need two. Same setup but the router upstairs. Unless you have issues picking up the wireless downstairs. Which you really shouldn't unless you have lots of copper pipes and metal stud walls. Is there anything downstairs that uses the cat-5?

Ponzi
Minister of Insight

Reply With Quote   #5

Most wireless routers have enough range to cover a normal sized house, as well as 4 or 5 ports on the back for wired connections. Unless you live in a really big or very radio unfriendly house, one connected to the cable modem upstairs should be enough.

You probably don't need to buy anything either.

Linksys routers usually have a reset button somewhere on them, so hold it down for 30 seconds, then reconnect it, just to clear out whatever changes were made to it. Unless your isp tells you differently, you can probably leave everything at its default settings aside from choosing a wireless network name and a password for it. Probably smart to change the router settings password as well.

Dragynphyre
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #6

Hordolin Awanagin said:
Still shouldn't need two. Same setup but the router upstairs. Unless you have issues picking up the wireless downstairs. Which you really shouldn't unless you have lots of copper pipes and metal stud walls. Is there anything downstairs that uses the cat-5?
Unfortunately, the copper pipes, iron beams, and concrete had blocked the signal quite effectively... tried a long time ago to pick up the signal down there and it didn't work, even with a signal booster halfway down the back stairs. The solution had been to drop a cat5 down - I added a WAP later when my brother wanted to connect his PC and PS3 wirelessly.

It appears that the upstairs router just went flakey (could get 'net when connected directly to modem, but not with the router in between - it would drop within a minute of booting), so I'm replacing that.

After I install the new router, I will connect with my laptop and see where the signal drops - I MIGHT be able to get this to work without WAP since the newer router might have more 'oomph'

If I have to, I'll re-use the other old Linksys as the downstairs access point, as it had been. Will re-set and start from scratch. Hopefully it is not completely flaked out too - electronics and smokers don't mix well.

Dragynphyre
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #7

Well, apparently the new N routers are a hella lot better than the old G ones I was using - walked around with my laptop and the signal downstairs was 4/5 bars. I also plugged in the cat5 cable just in case they want a wired connection

braincandy99
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #8

Yeah, the N routers have much more penetrating thetons.

likenew
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #9

I'm curious if one of those powerline(is that what its called? goes in a plug outlet...) would be a good setup for big homes like that.

I kind of miss being wireless, when I was on dsl my modem was a wireless n gigabit router, not a very good one mind you due to overheating. But I can't decide what to get now that I'm cable. I did get a cheap switch for this area, pc ps3 wii etc, though.

likenew shinycoins of cazic thule

My first blog
PsiKoTicK
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #10

Yeah, powerline is good, especially in newer homes with clean wiring.

I have a Buffalo N Gigabit router, wired into a Netgear gigabit switch in my attic... that switch goes to the other 3 bedrooms upstairs and 1 downstairs to my TV, where I have another Netgear gigabit switch for my Media Center, Xbox, and PS3 (and bluray player and receiver but they don't use it much).

The Wifi reaches throughout my 2100 square foot house - my lowest signal is 2 bars and that's random (usually I get 3 bars everywhere, but 2 bars in the same spots sometimes).

Not sure why you need multiple N access points, heh. But I think you figured that out

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #11

likenew said:
I'm curious if one of those powerline(is that what its called? goes in a plug outlet...) would be a good setup for big homes like that.

I kind of miss being wireless, when I was on dsl my modem was a wireless n gigabit router, not a very good one mind you due to overheating. But I can't decide what to get now that I'm cable. I did get a cheap switch for this area, pc ps3 wii etc, though.
PsiKoTicK said:
Yeah, powerline is good, especially in newer homes with clean wiring.

I have a Buffalo N Gigabit router, wired into a Netgear gigabit switch in my attic... that switch goes to the other 3 bedrooms upstairs and 1 downstairs to my TV, where I have another Netgear gigabit switch for my Media Center, Xbox, and PS3 (and bluray player and receiver but they don't use it much).

The Wifi reaches throughout my 2100 square foot house - my lowest signal is 2 bars and that's random (usually I get 3 bars everywhere, but 2 bars in the same spots sometimes).

Not sure why you need multiple N access points, heh. But I think you figured that out

Wiring is everything when it comes to powerline. I have seen new homes that were poorly wired that resulted in terrible powerline connections. That said for most connections even a large house a Good wireless N and a couple access points in the far reaches is the easiest and most stable setup. However if you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty, it really isn't terribly difficult to run cat5 straight up into the attic or straight down into the basement/crawlspace then back up or down another wall respectively.

"Check out my youtube channel. Featuring League of Legends, FFXIV:ARR, gameplay and commentary."
Vilkata Tasavalt
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #12

When I moved into my fiancee's house, she wouldn't let me run cat5 to the computer room :( I tried running on wireless for a few months, but my GODS is that slow for file copying and such. I installed the Netgear Powerline adapters and have been very happy with it. Did some speed testing and it is coming out much faster than my wireless ever did, with a lot less latency.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #13

Yea, powerline are quite good in certain instances. It is like anything else, all depends on the circumstances what the best solution is.