TheSafehouse

The secret source of humor is not joy but sorrow; there is no humor in heaven. - Mark Twain

Safehouse Forums

Safehouse Site Info

The end is nigh

FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

braincandy99
Veteran

recommendations?
Reply With Quote   #1

Headed to the states next week. I'll have close access to a Fry's for purchasing anime.

I am looking for suggestions.

As a guide: my collection includes GITS, Elfen Leid, RIN, FLCL, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, FMA:Brotherhood, Corpse Princess, Gunslinger Girl, Cowboy Bebop, among others.

I will probably pick up 2nd season of Gunslinger Girl. I was also recommended Full Metal Panic...

New or old, I'm more in it for the stories/setting. Thanks in advance

Lenilya
Veteran

Re: recommendations?
Reply With Quote   #2

Pretty much most of:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...bayesian&n=100

Full Metal Panic was good, Fumoffu! was silly as hell and can be skipped for 2nd raid if ya want.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ruccus
Administrator

Reply With Quote   #3

I liked Moribito, Claymore, Beck, and Ergo Proxy, to name a few off the top of my head.

notwen
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #4

Lenilya said:
Pretty much most of:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...bayesian&n=100

Full Metal Panic was good, Fumoffu! was silly as hell and can be skipped for 2nd raid if ya want.
I would say delightfully silly as hell, but would agree on skipping to Second Raid if that's not your thing.

If one does opt for Fumoffu, I'd recommend the Blu-Ray - the DVD was terribly coded.

braincandy99
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #5

so i picked up claymore, desert punk, and eden of the east.

So far I've watched through Eden of the East. It was ok-ish. The first episode really sorta put me off but the rest of the series was decent.

Claymore looks interesting.

I have not watched anything yet from the Desert Punk series.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #6

Ok, somehow I missed this and it cost you money..

First rule of buying anime..Download the fansub to make sure it isn't crap first.

Second rule of buying anime..Make sure it isn't on netflix..Desert Punk is and is a pointless buy. Of course to be fair this one amused me but not enough to purchase.

Third rule of buying anime...never..ever buy from a brick and mortar...unless you just like paying too much.

"Check out my youtube channel. Featuring League of Legends, FFXIV:ARR, gameplay and commentary."
braincandy99
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #7

Tivia said:
Ok, somehow I missed this and it cost you money..

First rule of buying anime..Download the fansub to make sure it isn't crap first.

Second rule of buying anime..Make sure it isn't on netflix..Desert Punk is and is a pointless buy. Of course to be fair this one amused me but not enough to purchase.

Third rule of buying anime...never..ever buy from a brick and mortar...unless you just like paying too much.
I appreciate and understand the rules.

However, I live outside of the warm embrace of netflix.

I only come to the states on occassion so I enjoy shopping in a brick and mortar because we've got nothing like the shops in the states (Fry's).

As for fansubs, I'm not enough of a consumer of anime to keep up with the groups/sites and TPB is mostly worthless for many anime titles. That's why I come here and ask for suggestions

Taoden
Hand of the Ring

Reply With Quote   #8

First i'm going +1 for claymore and Ergo proxy though Ergo proxy will confuse you for a little... least it did me.

I had to keep a list of stuff I've watched : http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Taoden/anime you can chose a filter and search.. might find some stuff maybe. Let me know if the link doesn't work.

As for TPB, kinda a pita anymore. Check out BakaBT, They deal mostly with anime, rec's suggestions etc forums there are wonderful.

Also going to Echo Tivia's post. It can be a pain to keep up with fansub groups etc but BakaBT does a good job of listing stuff.

Hope this helps you a little.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #9

braincandy99 said:
I appreciate and understand the rules.

However, I live outside of the warm embrace of netflix.

I only come to the states on occassion so I enjoy shopping in a brick and mortar because we've got nothing like the shops in the states (Fry's).

As for fansubs, I'm not enough of a consumer of anime to keep up with the groups/sites and TPB is mostly worthless for many anime titles. That's why I come here and ask for suggestions
Fair enough on netflix. However Google can find fansubs easily. I don't ever use torrent sites like TPB anymore.

DarthEnderX
Count Monster-rod
Von Hugenstein

Reply With Quote   #10

I just remembered the Safehouse Anime forum existed...

Stalk
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #11

I'm tempted to lock this thread because it's the hip thing to do these days!