Safehouse Forums

Safehouse Site Info

The end is nigh

FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Tular Nodrop
Registered Member

Bad tippers
Reply With Quote   #1

I'm a pizza delivery guy. Tips are what keep me in this job, I rely on tip money to pay my way through school. Still, there are people who give me no tip at all. Sure, there are some people who appologize, saying they just don't have any extra cash at the time. That's OK. Then there are the people who act like I should be delivering them the world if I expect any tip. The standard tip for me in my middle-class suburban area is around $4. So I go to every house expecting between 2 and 10 bucks. So here's my rant about last night.

1st house - I arrive half an hour after they ordered (the phone girls tell people 45 minutes so I'm usually early) and the guy gives me a look like I should have read his mind and been there with the pizza before he even ordered it. So I tell him the price, it was $24.02 if I recall correctly. He hands me $30 and I ask if he wants change. He looks at me like I'm insane and says, "Yeah, I get 5 and some change right?" Apparently this guy sees a cash register on my belt or something because normally pizza delivery people carry no coin. This is where I give the "are you insane" look and luckily a younger guy, probably his son comes and tells me to just give him 2 bucks back. The older guy still gives me a bad look as I leave. TIPS ARE EXPECTED FOR PIZZA DELIVERIES. ANYONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW THIS HAS BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK.

2nd house - This one was great. It was a delivery to the rich part of town. I expect I should probably get 5 bucks or so. I pull up to the house, very nice, big house. As I walk up the driveway, I notice the cars in the garage. They have a tricked out Audi S4 and a Ruf Turbo R. Anyone who knows about cars will know that these are no beaters. The Ruf is a very rare modified Porsche worth $200,000+. My lucky day right? Nope. The lady gives me a dollar and even uses a $5 off coupon. Now it's great I got anything some would say but be realistic here, I'm sure she could kick down a few more bucks to a poor college kid.

It's just crazy how different some people are. I can get a delivery to some young couple who probably don't have a lot of spare cash but they'll give me 10 bucks because they know that's why I have this job. Then there are those who think I'm pushing it if I even ask if they want change.

deuce
Veteran

re: Bad tippers
Reply With Quote   #2

a ten buck tip? You better be beaming that pizza out of the oven and onto my kitchen table for that.

Nocte
n00b!

Reply With Quote   #3

Being a former pizza dude (occassionally still do for a friend around the holidays), A $10 tip will get you express and exceptional service on all future orders. Drivers know thier cash cows and return favors exponentially.

Lilum
Ask me about Testosterone!

Reply With Quote   #4

What Nocte says is so true. Drivers will fight to take orders to a good tipper, and get it there as fast as humanly possible.

Nenjin
Safehouse Staff Infection

Reply With Quote   #5

Former driver here, and Nocte is right.

You want a "tip" though dude? NEVER ask someone "do you want your change"? Of COURSE they want their change, when you ask someone that when they have 5 bucks coming back, they assume you think you're entitled to it, and then you're not getting squat. Not meaning to rag on you(much), but recently some kid at the register asked me that at the f-ing grocery store!! And I had like 4 bucks and change coming back to me! My instanaenous, gut reaction was to get angry. The response the guy gave you was almost the exact same one I gave that kid, loaded with sarcasm and that "are you freaking kidding me" tone of voice.

I always round down how much change I get back, and I always tip. Fact of life, people are cheap, no matter which part of town you deliver to, people are going to stiff you. It's finding the right customers, and remembering the shitty ones so they get their pizza last.

I order from this local place like 3 times a week sometimes because I'm working in the middle of the day during dinner, and always tip $14 on a $12.29 order, always. My food is there in 30-35 minutes almost every time now.

edit

Man, I think you need to get your expectations in order. Excepting a 5 dollar tip on a small 15 dollar order is, uhm, aiming a little high.

chmod said:
I don't want to live in a world where there are no consequences for being stupid. A few thousand years ago these users would have been eaten by lions.
Colvin
Veteran

Re: Bad tippers
Reply With Quote   #6

Tular Nodrop said:
. TIPS ARE EXPECTED FOR PIZZA DELIVERIES. ANYONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW THIS HAS BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK.
Don't you love it when people make their own rules, then expect everyone else to follow them.
Lets see, it looks like you got into pizza delivery because you thought you could make good money from tips to pay for college. You get into pizza delivery and find out that the tips really aren't what you thought they would be. You then decide that its everyone else's fault because they aren't following the idealogy that you have set forth.
Lets see, you expect rich people to give you good tips. The basic premise of that belief is, they have money, they should help out someone trying to get by. Going on that theory, has anyone ever given you a tip that you thought might be worse off than you are? I'm sure thats happened. Did you say, please keep the money, you need it more than I? I'm thinking not.

If you expect people to tip, call it tip delivery, not free delivery.

Boot Disk
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #7

Oh man.

I could so eat some pizza right now.

Edit: Slipped on the post button.

The one time I've ordered delivery pizza in my life, I called up a friend who was a former delivery boy to ask him how much I owed the dude. Then I paid him a buck less than that.

Tular Nodrop
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #8

I should have gone over what I wrote. I never ask people "do you want your change?" I ask "how much would you like back?" and I still get people looking at me like I'm crazy. I work for a gourmet pizza place (I guess that's what you'd call it). Our pizzas generally cost twice as much as other places because they're much better quality, that's what everyone says anyways. When I go to a house expecting a $5 tip, it's on a $40 or $50 dollar order.

These rules I speak of are not ones I made up. They are general rules where I live. You get tips for delivering pizza, that's a rule. I went into this job with no preconcieved notion of what kind of tips I would get. I worked for a month or two and saw what people normally tipped and based my expectations off that. I've now been at this job over a year. The fact is, 90% of the people I deliver to are good tippers, they do believe I am entitled to a tip assuming I get the pizza to them swiftly and it is in the condition it should be (many of these say these very words to me). I really can't say I've ever encountered anyone worse off than I am who gave me an unreasonably large tip. Most people who are obviously low on funds don't tip and that's ok with me.

This wasn't a rant about my job, it was a rant about those few people who are out of touch with the norms where I live.

Andurian
Veteran

Re: Bad tippers
Reply With Quote   #9

Colvin said:
Don't you love it when people make their own rules, then expect everyone else to follow them.
Yah he made up that rule.. go back under your rock.

Dading
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #10

andurian, wtf is your avatar? i've been wondering that for a few days...

oh yeah
i hate bad tippers too, go go resturant business!

Myrkskog
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #11

And still, you feel no compulsion to give people working in fast food tips.

Squink McPoke
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #12

If burger king delivered to my doorstep you bet I'd tip them. When I spend my time and my gas to go to them, hell no they won't get a tip.

New trend that I've seen: tip jars at subway joints ... wtf

FarSky
Veteran

Re: re: Bad tippers
Reply With Quote   #13

Dading said:
andurian, wtf is your avatar? i've been wondering that for a few days...
I'm wondering that too...it looks like the love child of Gonzo and Snuffleupagus.

shehab aldean
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #14

Squink McPoke said:
New trend that I've seen: tip jars at subway joints ... wtf
your grandchildren wouldn't say that , they would look to you with shame
they would go and tell you " why grandpa why don't you want to tip the mechanic that fix and oil the robots that serve us food "

which you may see to them " because its his job ? and he get paid to do it ?"

and your grandchildren would just say " crazy old people idea's "

Kinare
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #15

Sure, there are some people who appologize, saying they just don't have any extra cash at the time.
I worked in pizza delivery too, and I always thought (though never said) "Then get off your lazy ass and get the damn pizza yourself." Usually I just smiled and said it was ok though. I really do feel for some of those people. But one was a lazy bitch who wouldn't get her ass off the couch and literally walk one block (and a short one at that). I was five cents short on change and she made me go back an get it. I counted her pennies back really slow while looking her in the eye.

For change, NEVER ask how much they want back. Give them at least five bucks in ones. Always. If you ask then you set yourself up for rejection. Just smile and count back their change and say "Enjoy your pizza" at the end. If they don't give you money back, then leave.

If I got a $3 tip I was pretty happy. Hell anything was good. But I loved paydays. I worked next to an Army base in Virginia. God. Those guys would tip out the ass to an obviously married woman (and I don't think I am all that good looking).

One guy ordered 2 pizzas, a 2 liter and some chicken, about $30. They ran me all over the barracks because they didn't have any money and I was getting pissed. But this guy whips out $100 and said keep the change. I started shaking and I couldn't even grab the damn thing for a minute. I asked if they were sure, and that it wasn't necessary to tip so much. They said it was ok and were making fun of my shaking (in a nice way).

I got back to the office and the GM thought I was robbed because I was so nervous.

So $70 tip? Yeah. I can live with that Best tip ever, and I always took their orders whenever I could (I didn't tell the other drivers who it was, so they were kinda ticked hehe). Always got excellent tips from those guys, and when they only had $5 once, they apologized. I just laughed.

Qutsmnie
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #16

F' tips

Nenjin

Reply With Quote   #17

I never ask people "do you want your change?" I ask "how much would you like back?"
Guess what? Do you want your change, and how much change would you like back, are basically the same thing. They are saying "You owe me tip".

Read it slowly. THEY DONT OWE YOU ****. There is no rule, there is no law, there is NOTHING that requires them to give you money, expect maybe you'r own skewed ideas about Pizza delivery.

If you really think you are entitled to a tip, go work at an upper class restraunt with little signs that say "Gratuity is mandatory", or a hotel where tip is added to the bill. Going in to pizza delivery and bitching about people not tipping, is like going to jail and bitching because you're getting ass raped.

Clailya
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #18

nenjin... that was the most amazing analogy ever. I love you.

My sister worked pizza delivery for a few years. assholes got lawn gnomes taken. ( like people who order something for 20$ and give you a 50$)

OH and I work at a movie theater, we have to take our $50s and $100s to the back office to be checked, or if its early our drawers wont have enough cash in them. Well some chick bought a $1.50 candy bar, gives me a 50. Its still decently early and I am almost out of 5s. Take the 50 to the back office, they check it, I have enough cash in drawer to change it, chick gives me back a 20 and asks for 4 5s.... i had 2. whoops there goes half my 1s, thank god my manager came and grabbed 20 from me and changed them out for some 1s! I spent half the day with 1 or no 5s >< and no 10s the majority of the time. UG.

Why the **** do people bring large bills to movie theaters?! Unless you are spending 60 + why why why bring a 100? ($60 orders rock btw, gotta love the grizzlies players, sometimes they will throw down a 20$ tip to the person who gets to rush around the stand to make 6 nachos, change scalding hot cheese, get a crap load of drinks, slushies, ect made for their family)

damn asses, our drawers only start out at 100, saturdays we get up to about 1500$ tops in our drawr and then they change them out. Drug dealers with their 100... grrrr

Clailya Clearmind
http://sprattymaggie.googlepages.com/home My art site. Check it out sometime.
Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #19

Clailya said:
Why @!$# do people bring large bills to movie theaters?!
You @#$% kidding me right? To go see a @#$% kids movie it costs us at least $50.

Why in the @#$% does a drink that cost 15 freaking cents, cost me $5 at the theaters!

Phresh Prince
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #20

for the sake of argument, i think your analogy would be better off if changed from..

'Going in to pizza delivery and bitching about people not tipping, is like going to jail and bitching because you're getting ass raped.'

to

'Going in to pizza delivery and bitching about people not tipping, is like going to jail and bitching because you're not getting ass raped.'

why? because they're both what one expects. of course tipping is not a ****ing law or anything, but for many 'service' type jobs, in the united states, it is an expected common courtesy. sure some countries it isn't... i just moved back from australia, tipping there is far different, and quite rare, but there's a difference! waiters here often make 5-6 dollars an hour because they are supposed to make most of their money on tips..... whereas they get paid more in australia from the business because it is known that they aren't going to get tips....

it all works out. maybe its ass backwards, but in america, its still common practice to tip certain people, and delivery drivers tend to be one of those jobs.

Kinare
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #21

From my understanding, pizza delivery drivers usually make at least minimum wage. I got $6.50 an hour. And we don't get taxed on our tips that we do not report.

So you can at least justify not tipping your driver, but I would advise against it because they can **** with your food. I think that's reprehensible, but tell that to some immature idiot who thinks it's legitimate revenge.

Morek
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #22

People who havent worked in the business will always go on the "they dont owe you anything" mindset. Which of course, customers dont. Its being generous, nice. Pizza drivers are then scorned for bitching about not getting a tip, because so many people have the mindset that "if ya dont like the job, go get another one" not understanding that delivery driving is a decent income (great job over the summer while in school).

Well my friend, there is nothing that the driver can do to get tips. Except to make sure that the people who do tip are rewarded, while the people who treat ya like you they got bad service.. actually get bad service hehe.

If you have just started delivering, youll know who tips and who doesnt. Tippers always get thier pies first, no matter how much earlier the non-tipper ordered. There are other small things you can do if you are a very spiteful person.

But for a good read from people whom you can relate to, go to www.tipthepizzaguy.com

pulid
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #23

Just a random question to people who deliver pizzas...

Do you use your car? I know the joints we have around here have store cars for the delivery man, but I'm not sure how it is everywhere else. That would make pay and especially tip alittle different for me.

Jhani Vandolay
Smarm Goddess

Reply With Quote   #24

pulid said:
Just a random question to people who deliver pizzas...

Do you use your car? I know the joints we have around here have store cars for the delivery man, but I'm not sure how it is everywhere else. That would make pay and especially tip alittle different for me.
In my personal/local experience, I've never known a delivery person who didn't have to use their own car, or gotten delivery from a place where the guy came in a company car. Occasionally they've had company logos to slap on, like the big side-door magnet or the Dominoe's bucket thing, but it was always their own car, gas and all.

Nenjin

Reply With Quote   #25

Couple places here in town, this pizza/sub chain that has been around for like 20 years, has their own delivery vehicle, but most drivers have to use their own, and get reimbursed for gas mileage(like .40 cents a mile or something).

Considering I was trying to make up lost time on most of my deliveries, I kinda wish I coulda got my boss to spring for some new tires >< Especially when I was the only driver to show up in the middle of a snow storm for work, and I worked a 6 hour shift being officially the only delivery driver in the whole town still crazy enough to drive in blizzard conditions. I was ramming through 3 foot snow drifts in a 89 Toyota Corrolla. And I got stiffed 3 or 4 times that night, too.

Tular Nodrop
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #26

Nenjin said:
I never ask people "do you want your change?" I ask "how much would you like back?"
Guess what? Do you want your change, and how much change would you like back, are basically the same thing. They are saying "You owe me tip".

Read it slowly. THEY DONT OWE YOU @#%$. There is no rule, there is no law, there is NOTHING that requires them to give you money, expect maybe you'r own skewed ideas about Pizza delivery.

If you really think you are entitled to a tip, go work at an upper class restraunt with little signs that say "Gratuity is mandatory", or a hotel where tip is added to the bill. Going in to pizza delivery and bitching about people not tipping, is like going to jail and bitching because you're getting ass raped.
I don't know what else to say. I can't give them exact change so I ask them how much they want back. If it was convenient for me to carry around tons of change with me everywhere I would just give them their exact change.

Xynn
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #27

I almost always order from Dominoes and have yet to have a driver not carry coins with them. They have an apron thing that they put change and cash in and always dig in to it for change. Why not do that?

Gyorg
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #28

You round down their cost and give them back everything. Or maybe give them 1 dollar over what they had and look for some change in your jacket. If they don't say anything, just act like you didn't find any and give them the last dollar.

Personally, I tip the delivery people well. I assume minimum wage doesn't cover your car on the gas for it.

That said, how important do you REALLY think it is to us to get our pizzas? I order mine and forget about it. It doesn't matter that much to me that you hauled ass or drove in circles. I don't care that, because I tipped you well last time you arrived 5min faster. Or because I didn't tip well, you were here 15 min later. I'm not paying a whole lot of attention. I'm playing playstation and drinking a beer. So stop thinking the quality of your service has some great impact on my life.

Synrax
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #29

Do pizza places near colleges do better?

Just wondering cuz I haven't had delivery since college, over 2 years ago.

Lilum
Ask me about Testosterone!

Reply With Quote   #30

It's almost always your own car, gas, oil and maintance. That is the biggest reason you should tip, and tip well. Delivery is hell on vehicles, and most drivers don't make much more than minimum wage before tips, and commision. (I got a 5% commision on everything I delivered, I think PH gives $.50/pizza)

One of my roommates delivered in college. I don't think the tips were that good but the fringe benefits were a little better. Those benefits were being offered oral sex, and pot a few times, but he was clean and had a girl friend so he never took the customer up on those.

Trolo
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #31

they would go and tell you " why grandpa why don't you want to tip the mechanic that fix and oil the robots that serve us food "

which you may see to them " because its his job ? and he get paid to do it ?"

and your grandchildren would just say " crazy old people idea's
Oh man. That's the awesome Shehab quote for the day. *claps*

THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS // SING INTO MY MOUTH
Shamroc
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #32

I deliverd pizza in college.

After a couple months heres how i approached change.

If they gave me like 20 bucks for 12bucks of pizza. I just said "Thanks!" and turnd fast and headed for my ride.

Sometimes they would stop me and be like "i need some change" id turn and look at them like they were scum and say "Really?"

Most of the time they would say "Uh, nevermind" or "Just a couple of dollers u can keep the rest" but every now and then they would want all their change (losers).

Ever heard of getting '****-bagged'? Thats what we would do if u did not tip. We would mark who didnt tip on our computer system with an asterik. We simply told them we were not delivering to that area or that no drivers would be available and they had one option 'carry out.'

Papa John's Pizza
Arkansas

Helped word filter. --Gyorg

Shamroc - Nemesis
http://www.bladesofwrath.org
Torvonite
Trolo
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #33

Haha Shamroc--owned.

Myrkskog
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #34

Shamroc said:
I deliverd pizza in college.

After a couple months heres how i approached change.

If they gave me like 20 bucks for 12bucks of pizza. I just said "Thanks!" and turnd fast and headed for my ride.

Sometimes they would stop me and be like "i need some change" id turn and look at them like they were scum and say "Really?"

Most of the time they would say "Uh, nevermind" or "Just a couple of dollers u can keep the rest" but every now and then they would want all their change (losers).

Ever heard of getting '****-bagged'? Thats what we would do if u did not tip. We would mark who didnt tip on our computer system with an asterik. We simply told them we were not delivering to that area or that no drivers would be available and they had one option 'carry out.'

Papa John's Pizza
Arkansas
Insult removed. You are warned. --Gyorg

deuce
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #35

Thank god I dont have you assholes delivering my pizza.

Now I did delivery too, as well as order once a month or so, well not lately but use to. I knew my delivery driver and he never did the **** you guys say. I gave him the money and he pulled out his change purse and gave me the change. From that I'd add more or give what I felt was right depending on how much I paid. If anyone decided that they just walk away with change due I'd be on the phone with your manager before you even shut the door to your car telling him what his ******* driver just tried to get away with, and he wont do business with me again, there are alot of other pizza places in my area that would probably like my business alot more, of course he has the option of apologizing or doing somethin but I leave that up to him. And believe me your expendable customers are not.

I did delivery in h.s. for a short time, i got more then anyone else there though not much. 15 cents a mile gas / wear and tear cost, plus extra insurance (one fender bender with a pizza bag in the back seat and its noted you screwed nicely by your insurance company) I was nice greated them when they answered the door gave them there change (yeah i was givin exact change to be given back to the each customer before i left) asked if they wanted any pepper or cheese. They gave me a tip if i was curtious just like a waiter. I get paid to deliver food anything extra is genoristy.

Oh and if you're trying to make a living delivering pizzas your on the wrong track in life, reevaluate where you're headed.

Tular Nodrop
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #36

I don't think anyone's gonna try to make a living delivering pizzas. It's great for a student though, minimal hours for relatively high dollar/hour and you can work at night.

Myrkskog
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #37

I hate people described in Shamrocs post(not a direct reference to anyone here), they are complete asses and should not be allowed to work with another human being due to their self centered nature. Grave digger sounds like an appropriate job, at least they can't "****-list" the dead.

Unless you just throw their body in the forest to be eaten instead of burying them I guess.

People who won't do their job because they aren't getting something they don't deserve, and are not entitled to, are the worst. It's the job equivilent of pouting.

Andurian
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #38

So you're saying you've never worked a job that rely's on tips.

Delever pizza's in a blizzard and not get tipped and then come back. Tips are the main reason people will take that crappy job.

Morek
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #39

deuce said:
Thank god I dont have you assholes delivering my pizza.

Now I did delivery too, as well as order once a month or so, well not lately but use to. I knew my delivery driver and he never did the @#%$ you guys say. I gave him the money and he pulled out his change purse and gave me the change. From that I'd add more or give what I felt was right depending on how much I paid. If anyone decided that they just walk away with change due I'd be on the phone with your manager before you even shut the door to your car telling him what his @#%$ driver just tried to get away with, and he wont do business with me again, there are alot of other pizza places in my area that would probably like my business alot more, of course he has the option of apologizing or doing somethin but I leave that up to him. And believe me your expendable customers are not.

I did delivery in h.s. for a short time, i got more then anyone else there though not much. 15 cents a mile gas / wear and tear cost, plus extra insurance (one fender bender with a pizza bag in the back seat and its noted you screwed nicely by your insurance company) I was nice greated them when they answered the door gave them there change (yeah i was givin exact change to be given back to the each customer before i left) asked if they wanted any pepper or cheese. They gave me a tip if i was curtious just like a waiter. I get paid to deliver food anything extra is genoristy.

Oh and if you're trying to make a living delivering pizzas your on the wrong track in life, reevaluate where you're headed.
And what do you think a manager would do? Most if not all managers are former delivery drivers, they understand. A few words to pacify you for being an ass that doesnt tip, and it would turn into a joke. Your address would probably be marked, putting you last for delieveries and/or skimp on your toppings for pizza.

And, please dont judge people on how they choose to make a living. If they have a job and arent living off of a government check, by all means they are doing what a lot arent doing. I worked there with guys who had degrees in all sorts of things, they choose pizza delivery because it was the best paying thing around.

I delievered to make a living, the minute I stopped delivering is when I hit strong financial difficulty. Whether you are in school or not, making an honest living is making an honest living, and if this gets me a warning ill gladly take it. But anyone who berates a man for doing an honest days work for his money because its not in an office or something is a piece of $hit.

Just because it was a short-term h/s job for you doesnt mean that someone else isnt good at it and actually makes good money doing it. I excel at every job I have, and if it werent for a conflict of school scheduling I would definately continue to deliver throughout school.

Im sorry, it just irks me when someone says something negative about someone working, because it isnt what they think is a valid job. Im sure the guys who do make it thier career dont need you telling them that they need to evaluate thier station in life. They are doing what they have to do in order to survive, commend them for doing it, dont berate them because it isnt what you consider a "worthy" living..

Nocte
n00b!

Reply With Quote   #40

And, please dont judge people on how they choose to make a living. If they have a job and arent living off of a government check, by all means they are doing what a lot arent doing....

...But anyone who berates a man for doing an honest days work for his money because its not in an office or something is a piece of @#%$.
Amen brudder. Anyone supporting themselves and/or their families in this day and age of "Uncle Sam owes me!" deserves a little respect. Not everyone is in a position to up, retrain, and restart careers on a whim. Hell, I enjoy the food service business, I just can't stand its hours.

deuce
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #41

Why would I do business with a company if i'm blacklisted for being last to delivered too.

I dont know maybe I'm wierd but I've always felt. That my customers were important, cause you know even if you dont get tiped they are still paying to get that pizza. If i start losing customers because i'm "blacklisted" all the so called bad tippers then theyre business is going else where, and while you laugh it up and make a job of it. You'll be standing around doing nothing, soon that manager that laughed it up and use to deliver pizza for a living will have to make a choice, either quit himself, or fire you and take up doing your job. Guess what he's going to do.

Now i'm glad you're working and doing a job and not taking up tax payers money, and i'll leave it at that cause i'd say more but since nocte responded he'd be mad at me.

Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #42

Pizza places in my area are not hurting for business.

They get to decide which customers are important. If they have to decide who to deliver to first. I would have to say the tipper is going to get his first. Sure you will get your pizza, but I always get mine HOT, FRESH and QUICKLY.

I do tip and I tip generously when earned and to be honest I do get good service from the pizza places. We only order pizza once or twice a month because I tire of it quickly but we always get good service and food.

Nocte
n00b!

Reply With Quote   #43

I'm not mad at anyone. I'm just agreeing with Morek's sentiment regarding worthy professions. I'd scrub dishes to keep my kids fed without batting an eye.

Tipping on the other hand is a personal thing. Do it or don't. I'm a big tipper because I've slaved in the service industry before. Try to remember though that Uncle Sam expects 8% of the bill's sub total as a waiter/waitresses income tax. If you stiff the waiter on a $100 dollar meal, you're stealing 8 dollars out of their pocket.

I never understood how people can be careless with food handlers anyway. They have sole responsibility and unsupervised possession for something you'll likely ingest. /shudder

Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #44

Could not agree more with that statement about tipping!

Morek
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #45

deuce said:
Why would I do business with a company if i'm blacklisted for being last to delivered too.

I dont know maybe I'm wierd but I've always felt. That my customers were important, cause you know even if you dont get tiped they are still paying to get that pizza. If i start losing customers because i'm "blacklisted" all the so called bad tippers then theyre business is going else where, and while you laugh it up and make a job of it. You'll be standing around doing nothing, soon that manager that laughed it up and use to deliver pizza for a living will have to make a choice, either quit himself, or fire you and take up doing your job. Guess what he's going to do.

Now i'm glad you're working and doing a job and not taking up tax payers money, and i'll leave it at that cause i'd say more but since nocte responded he'd be mad at me.
Quite the opposite man. We arent even talking about bad tippers here, this is the no tipping breed we are focusing on. Yes you want every customer you can get, but.. blacklisting a non tipper isnt going to kill your business. Why you ask? Because 99% of any pizza places customer base knows that delivery drivers work for tips.

So you think that just because X pizza company blacklists non-tippers, that companies A,B and C dont? Keep taking your non-tipping business to other places, pretty soon all youll have is a bunch of pizza delivery drivers taking you your order last.

Dont get confused and say "well its thier damn job, if they dont like it, get a new one". You are getting something delivered, thier job isnt to make sure the pizza is cooked right, or have the right toppings, or that its hot or that the drinks arent shaken up. Thier job is take it from point A to point B.

Now heres the beauty part of it all. Lets say that a pizza driver has 30 orders one night. Of those 30, 5 are known non-tippers, therefore they get thier pizza last. All managers know that there is a margin of error when it comes to delivery, so not every order is expected to be precise right on the dime on time (traffic, getting lost, cant find the address, etc..). So if the driver has 25 perfect deliveries with 5 bad ones, do you honestly think he is going to get in trouble? In the area where I delivered, there wasnt a single building or house that I couldnt get to within 20 mins (no matter how bad traffic was) I knew all of the shortcuts. The shortcuts were used for tippers, the longer routes were used for non tippers (non tipper deliveries are great for talking on the cell phone time hehe). Did people call and complain? Sure, send them a 2 dollar coupon that will shut them up, and they save 2 dollars on thier next cold meal.

Is 2 dollars worth eating a cold meal? It goes either way, a 2 dollar coupon for getting a cold meal, or a 2 dollar tip to keep from getting a cold meal. Whether its cold or not, Im still doing my job and earning my 5.15 an hour, the tips are my motivation to go above and beyond 5.15 an hour work. No tip, and you get 5.15 an hour service..

Nymm
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #46

I'm really confused. I've seen the following two things posted by the same individuals (often in the same paragraph) and they seem to be somewhat contradictory:

"I barely make ends meet as a pizza driver, I NEED those tips just to pay for the gas I use doing this job"

AND

"Pizza delivery is a great job with good money for low hours, so good that many students and some people with degrees choose to do it rather than work in another industry"

I paraphrased, but I think if you scan up you'll see what I'm talking about. So which is it? Are pizza drivers barely scraping by, or are they raking in dough for a cake job?

-Nymm
Marbh
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #47

I never get the pizza guy mad, I've read Snowcrash.

Morek
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #48

Nymm said:
I'm really confused. I've seen the following two things posted by the same individuals (often in the same paragraph) and they seem to be somewhat contradictory:

"I barely make ends meet as a pizza driver, I NEED those tips just to pay for the gas I use doing this job"

AND

"Pizza delivery is a great job with good money for low hours, so good that many students and some people with degrees choose to do it rather than work in another industry"

I paraphrased, but I think if you scan up you'll see what I'm talking about. So which is it? Are pizza drivers barely scraping by, or are they raking in dough for a cake job?
Well let me explain. If you can work 40 hours (as I was before school started) its great money, because you get closing shifts which means lots of deliveries on a daily basis. When you are doing it part-time, obviously not as many hours therefore not as many deliveries (less tips as a whole). You rarely hear the full time guys complaining about getting stiffed on tips because they make so many deliveries. But when you arent making that many, not getting tips equates into barely making ends meet.

Obviously when it gets that bad, you change jobs (I.E. I work at home depot now, as opposed to delivering pizza). If I could devote 40hrs and not have my grades suffer, I would pick delivery over this job in a heartbeat. Ive worked a ton of different places (techie, warehouse, construction, office) you name it, ive done it. Since I dont have a degree (yet hehe) obviously the job market is limited to entry level or right above based on experience. None of those jobs paid anywhere near as good as delivering pizza did.

The point is that the job doesnt pay that great per hour no matter how you look at it. If you have the ability to get some closing shifts, you can make a lot of money (a guy I worked with pulled in over 600 sometimes 700+ a week) but he worked a lot of hours. Is it executive level money? Of course not. Is it better than retail or some low end techie job? Yes very much so if you base it on a full time pay scale. Part time, its comparable (better sometimes) if you can get on night/weekend shifts.

No matter the pay though, still not a reason to berate someone for working there.

Marbh
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #49

And a hell of a lot cleaner and less mind numbing than a factory job. One of my summer jobs was in a aluminum diecasting plant. My hats off to anyone who can work that job longterm. Came home covered in dirt, grease and splashed machine coolant (machines leaked like sieves), bone tired, and with the occasional burn from sparks or miscooled metal.

deuce
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #50

Egh guess I have a different attitude or worked at a pizza place that gave a damn about there customers or atleast the owner told me too do it.

1 less customer might just mean I wouldnt get to work all the hours of my shift if it got slow. so that wage that i always recieve I wouldnt recieve let alone have a chance to get a "tip" on anything.

If you blacklist someone you might just make him second guess his choice. I'd rather have a customer to deliver to then no customer at all.

Of course i'm off base cause I always look at it at a different perspective, I've never had a job where i'd go its just a job it dont mean anything to me, if i lose a customer cause he tips low and i deliver it last on my route, its no skin off my back. If i get fired i'll just find some other place to work for.