TheSafehouse

One day I shall sit atop a throne of fortune. Guarded on all sides by blades of reputation.

Safehouse Forums

Safehouse Site Info

The end is nigh

FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Stalk
Veteran

Evangelion remake coming out
Reply With Quote   #1

So, Gainax is remaking Evangelion. It will be four movies, 1. First Arc, 2. Middle Arc, 3. End Arc, 4. Finale Arc.

The first arc comes out Summer 2007. It's all new animation and a remade story. I don't have much information that's not rumors to give other than that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1157591645852.jpg (137.2 KB, 22 views)

Effsee
Veteran

Re: Evangelion remake coming out
Reply With Quote   #2

OK, now when they say "remade story" do they mean it won't be a souless void of depression and spite collapsing upon itself in one large gaping wound? Can shinji not be a pansy? Can rei have a soul for more than three minutes without it being torn away from her thus making me even more depressed? Find out next week, same eva time, same eva channel.

Almost as much as statesman.. *sigh*

Effsee -~- Grand High Super Duper Awesome Sauce No One Expects The Spanish Inquisition Great Pirate King of Sniper Island Captain General Colonel Wingman Consigliere Shadow Warrior of the Highwaymen - Chief Warrant Officer of the Department of Annoying Teannin
Sollon Darkmoon
Cork Soaker

Reply With Quote   #3

Effsee said:
OK, now when they say "remade story" do they mean it won't be a souless void of depression and spite collapsing upon itself in one large gaping wound? Can shinji not be a pansy? Can rei have a soul for more than three minutes without it being torn away from her thus making me even more depressed? Find out next week, same eva time, same eva channel.

Almost as much as statesman.. *sigh*
No you just get to see them depressed in better animation quality and redone wording! :P.

Eternal Chains
Rest In Peace, My Most Beloved Witch, Beatrice
I Won't Let You Escape
When The Seagulls Cry, None Are Left Alive.
OpZO
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #4

Please be the manga version of these characters. Less Asuka, Rei with a semblance of personality, a lot less whiny Shinji...so much good could be done

notwen
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #5

Thus the dairy farm that was once an incredible animation studio.

Le sigh. :/

Stalk
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #6

I was going to let Toprem post it himself, but since he didn't... gonna post it for him. This is a quote from Toprem's post.

The title for the new film series is "Evangelion Shin Gekijou Ban", it will consist of 4 parts with the first part arriving in Japanese theaters in early summer, 2007. Staff include General Supervisor: Hideaki Anno, Director: Tsurumaki Kazuya , Character Design: Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Mecha Design: Ikuto Yamashita, Animation Production: Khara (Color) Studio. The scenario of the 1st part will be written by Hideaki Anno with storyboard by Shinji Higuchi. Key points of a supposed interview which may or may not appear in the forthcoming edition of Newtype attributed to Toshimichi Ohtsuki of King Records have also been circulating.

According to that information:
-The content is quite different though the time base of the story is the same as the original TV series.
- It will be a remake, however, it is not a re-creation but a "new work".
- The approach will be different than what Tomino-san did with the Gundam Z New Translation films, there will apparantly be a large amount of new material.
- Even if the TV series has not be seen, the viewer will be able to enjoy it. Though the content becomes easy, it is not redundant to those already familiar with the series.
- The technique that purposely scatters difficult words and phrases will not be used any longer.
- As an antithesis to current animation industry segments. It is an attitude on the production side to pull the act in the age that started from Eva.
What I take that to mean is they intend to simplify the story, and make it more sensical. I think they will change a lot of things, Shinji's character seems like an obvious place to begin.

DarthEnderX
Count Monster-rod
Von Hugenstein

Reply With Quote   #7

**** me in the ass...

Nenjin
Safehouse Staff Infection

Reply With Quote   #8

So is this going to be "Safe For Mass Consumption" version?

- The technique that purposely scatters difficult words and phrases will not be used any longer.
lolz. Translation: We won't attempt to boggle your mind with occult references anymore.

/le sigh indeed.

chmod said:
I don't want to live in a world where there are no consequences for being stupid. A few thousand years ago these users would have been eaten by lions.
Tabbran
Agent Slurpee

Reply With Quote   #9

I'm guessing that "Shin Gekijou Ban" means "I Have Daddy Issues"

Nenjin
Safehouse Staff Infection

Reply With Quote   #10

Haha.

Itzena
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #11

Tabbran said:
I'm guessing that "Shin Gekijou Ban" means "I Have Daddy Issues"
I thought it translated to 'The Search For More Money' ?

Last edited by Itzena; 09-08-06 at 11:16 AM.
Ruccus
Administrator

Reply With Quote   #12

I thought Evangelion was an excellent series and 'End of Evangelion' was great, though I didn't like 'Death and Rebirth'. I could see the logic in releasing the remastered platinum series in 5.1 surround sound, but all these other things seem to be money grabs.

I think I soured on all 'new' Evangelion things while reading an issue of Newtype a while back. Near the back of the magazine I saw a full page ad for an Asuka figurine dressed in a maid's outfit (here's the figurine. The call it 'loli/goth' but it looks more like 'french maid').

I still really like the old series, but I'm weary of new stuff.

Stalk
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #13

Just wondering, why did that figure sour you on Evangelion? I own that figure (the only Asuka figure I've ever liked and bought, aside from the Grimrock set.)

While they make royalties, Gainax doesn't make the figures themselves. The goth loli Asuka and Rei are doujin creations. Just wondering. Also, that figure is most definitely Goth Loli, which is different from the maid outfit. Goth Loli is a fashion style that's VERY popular in Japan. Saturdays in Shibuya will show tons of girls dressing up as Goth Loli. There's several magazines about the fashion alone, the most popular being EGL (Elegant Goth Loli) and it has it's own sub-fashions. For more info, see this wiki.

I'm far more forgiving of the figures that are created by doujin groups then mass-manufactured. I am also weary of Gainax milking the series, but I personally find this to be potentionally worthwhile. Depending on how they do it, of course.

Sollon Darkmoon
Cork Soaker

Reply With Quote   #14

Stalk said:
Just wondering, why did that figure sour you on Evangelion? I own that figure (the only Asuka figure I've ever liked and bought, aside from the Grimrock set.)

While they make royalties, Gainax doesn't make the figures themselves. The goth loli Asuka and Rei are doujin creations. Just wondering. Also, that figure is most definitely Goth Loli, which is different from the maid outfit. Goth Loli is a fashion style that's VERY popular in Japan. Saturdays in Shibuya will show tons of girls dressing up as Goth Loli. There's several magazines about the fashion alone, the most popular being EGL (Elegant Goth Loli) and it has it's own sub-fashions. For more info, see this wiki.

I'm far more forgiving of the figures that are created by doujin groups then mass-manufactured. I am also weary of Gainax milking the series, but I personally find this to be potentionally worthwhile. Depending on how they do it, of course.
Heh best Asuka figure I ever seen. But the photo in the link doesn't really do it justice.

Errr Ruccus's link...

Last edited by Sollon Darkmoon; 09-08-06 at 02:41 PM.
Ruccus
Administrator

Reply With Quote   #15

I think it soured me because it took Asuka out of Evangelion and used her in a manner completely unrelated to Evangelion; they just used the Evangelion name to sell the product.

Edit: I should say I think the figurine itself looks fine, it's just not in character with who she is any more than putting Motoko Kusanagi in the same outfit.

Last edited by Ruccus; 09-08-06 at 02:51 PM.
Sollon Darkmoon
Cork Soaker

Reply With Quote   #16

Ruccus said:
I think it soured me because it took Asuka out of Evangelion and used her in a manner completely unrelated to Evangelion; they just used the Evangelion name to sell the product.

Edit: I should say I think the figurine itself looks fine, it's just not in character with who she is any more than putting Motoko Kusanagi in the same outfit.
Don't most figures from series do different types of styles that don't relate to the anime? I dunno if thats true just a question .

Stalk
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #17

Ah, I see. I'm a big doujin fan so I'm used to seeing various anime characters acting somewhat out of character. I think it's part of the charm, seeing the mostly tsun tsun Asuka be all out dere dere, or Shinji acting manly for a change, etc. In this case, gothloli Asuka feels like "Here's Asuka, if she was a regular Shibuya girl! Outside of Evangelion."

All a matter of preference.

EDIT: Sollion's question.
Not most figures, but a lot of figures do.

Stalk
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #18

A few new details regarding the new Eva project, Evangelion Shin Gekijou Ban from the October, 2006 Japanese edition of Newtype Magazine:
- The cover illustration featuring characters Ayanami Rei Nagisa Kaworu is by Shunji Suzuki. Suzuki had worked on the Shin Seiki Evangelion TV series as chief animator and on the End Of Evangelion movie as an animation director. Although not officially connected by name to the new project as yet, his image appearing on the Newtype cover would suggest involvement.
- Images released so far depict Rei Ayanami in observably more provacative and animated moods than before. How will she change? The silent and submissively naturered character with her trademark blue hair and style made her an all time fan favorite of otaku everywhere, catapulting her to the top of the monthly Animage character poll for many, many issues.
- From Toshimichi Ohtsuki's interview: Just before this new project started up director Hideaki Anno rewatched the entire original television series back to back. Ohtsuki relays that he heard Anno say for the first time: "Eva is interesting, I did not think it was so interesting (laughing)." The comment almost broght Ohtsuki to tears.
- Ohtsuki goes on to say that it is true Eva has become a smashi hit animation. However, it's success caused misunderstanding and disarray has arisen in the animation field because of it. An overproduction of inferrior works was caused.
- Ohtsuki says the Newtype cover image featuring Rei and Kaworu symbolizes the new movie project. Japanese fans have questioned whether this is a hint at Rei And Kaworu's possibly being at the center of the new story or getting expanded focus in the course of the story of the films.
New information on Evangelion.

DarthEnderX
Count Monster-rod
Von Hugenstein

Reply With Quote   #19

Stalk said:
Being popular in japan doesn't make it less gay. In fact the exact opposite is true.

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #20

Bump for ****ty cam trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWj2mCm5TU . God I cannot wait till this stuff comes out.

Master Tailor Toprem Spaztastic, level 75 Drizzlecaller of Karana. Member of Clan Ta Veren

#1 Druid on Prexus.
notwen
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #21

Have I mentioned how much I love it when a studio "remakes" an old anime show into a movie using a mix of new animation and old.

more sighing!

Itzena
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #22

Non-shakycam version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pfnqsEEEpo
(Still not as good as Gurren-Lagann)

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #23

Itzena said:
Non-shakycam version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pfnqsEEEpo
(Still not as good as Gurren-Lagann)
Details on this?

Itzena
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #24

Toprem said:
Details on this?
Can't link subs, but it's Gainax-does-Super-Robots-with-Burning-Courage.
The usual anime forums will almost certainly have at least one thread about it, if not an entire subforum.

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #25

Needs more brown.

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #26

Now with more Emo Shinji! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESMB-V780Rk

Lenilya
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #27

Neon Genesis Kingdom Hearts

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"You are not alone, and you are not strange.
You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person."
Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #28

Lenilya said:
Neon Genesis Kingdom Hearts
Am I crazy or did I hear the phrase "Shōnen manga" sung during the song?

Lenilya
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #29

Nope, yer not crazy. Line is:

Shounen manga, yume mite bakka

Lenilya
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #30

Stumbled across a doujin for Eva that pretty much makes it go from 'overrated' to 'awesome'.

Re-Take by Kimigabuchi (warning: ero content)

I highly suggest checking it out. The story takes place after the end of the anime, yet still manages to not only make sense, but be a new ending that isn't stupid.

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #31

There's a cam of it out now, with subs. Sound quality ain't the best, video looks to be decent. Better than nothing at all.

Sammyu
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #32

With the DVD release comes the fansubs... no comments on it yet? I'm surprised...

My perspective is from that of someone who LOVED the original Eva (original ending and all). Of course, there are potential spoilers as I work under the assumption that you've seen the anime, so read on at your own risk.

SPOILER:

I was really surprised by how much I liked it. When I first heard about it and how they were trying to make it "easier" to understand and such, I was kind of disappointed, but the first movie at least, manages to be just as good as the original series. Most of the movie is actually really similar to the anime; they take a lot of scenes from the anime and basically splice them into the movie. In fact, the first completely "new" scene I noticed was like a half hour into the movie. From then on, though, they start adding more changes (usually just slight changes in dialgue and such). If you thought Shinji was overly whiney in the original anime, well, that didn't change much for most of the movie. Its not until the fifth angel (fourth angel in the anime- they changed the ordering of the angels apparently; we'll find out how they reconcile that in the later movies, it seems) that they start adding a lot of new stuff. The new version of the fifth angel itself is pretty cool- I like it a lot more than the original.

*major spoilers in the next paragraph*
However, they didn't actually change much of the story. There are two main things about the story so far that they've changed, but I'm not sure how much I like the changes. The first is that Katsuragi shows Shinji Lillith really early compared to when he finds out in the anime. I guess they're just trying to force Shinji into becoming more "manly" with this change. The second and more important change is that they're obviously forcing a Shinji/Rei relationship. In the anime, their relationship was much less clear- Shinji and Asuka's relationship was much more "normal" in the anime. It will be interesting to see if they change that and replace it with a Shinji/Rei pairing.

In any case, I thought it was really good. Utada Hikaru's ED fit well, too, I thought (better than the original Fly Me to the Moon ED), both lyrically and melodically.

Spoiler tags are [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]. --Stalk

Last edited by Stalk; 05-19-08 at 06:45 AM.
Ackar
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #33

"Evangelion 1.0: You Are [Not] Alone" Trailer Online

FUNimation has the English dub trailer for Evangelion 1.0: You Are [Not] Alone, the movie based on the Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series, on its official website. It can be viewed here. A release date for the R1 DVD hasn't yet been set, but the movie opens on 77 screens this summer.

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #34

Whose **** did Canada suck to get it on that many friggen screens? Trailer for movie 2 popped up on the internet a few weeks ago too, and damn, I still haven't watched the DVD sub and I've had it since last year.

Sammyu
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #35

Bumping this thread, as I finally got around to watching 2.22 in Blu-Ray.

Gorgeous movie, easily one of the best looking anime films I've seen (I'd say prettier than 5 Centimeters Per Second on Blu-Ray, which is high praise coming from me).

The actual movie itself was a fun watch, although it has been AGES since I've last watched the Eva series so trying to remember what they changed and what was the same was interesting. Their usage of scenes from the original series, but changed to fit the "new" story was pretty cool.

Course, who knows how long it'll be until 3.0 comes out, sigh.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #36

Ah nice, 2.22 is out? Been looking forward to this, so far have been highly pleased with the remake.

"Check out my youtube channel. Featuring League of Legends, FFXIV:ARR, gameplay and commentary."
Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #37

First six minutes of Evangelion 3.0 / Q

Finally coming out (to theatres) in a few days in Japan, can't wait for some subbed version to hit the US as I've been waiting too long for this.

Stalk
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #38

They need to stop making Evangelions

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #39

Stalk said:
They need to stop making Evangelions

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #40

Finally out on blu-ray, but ugh, only version on the place where I get HD stuff is a 44GB 1080p, screw that noise.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #41

Toprem said:
Finally out on blu-ray, but ugh, only version on the place where I get HD stuff is a 44GB 1080p, screw that noise.
unless you have download caps..I am failing to see the problem here?

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #42

Tivia said:
I just don't like downloading huge files that might set off any warning bells, same reason why I didn't grab the 220GB MAME CHD torrent yet. I also don't have a lot of room left on the drive I store movies and the like to, not if I go downloading huge files like that anyway. That being said, risking it from a public place right now, 8GB 1080p rip popped up yesterday.

edit: ugh, terrible speeds. Think I might cancel this and wait for a better site.

edit 2: Ugh, great, much like some of the Hellsing Ultimate episodes, this isn't playing right. It said on the page "coreavc 3.0.1 won't work properly." but doesn't go into any detail on how to get it to work, which I assume is my problem since I did the stuff to get 10bit crap to play when I went through this with Hellsing Ultimate. Great...

edit 3: Downloaded latest version of KMPlayer and its working now. Ugh @ KMP switching over to some terrible downloader method of installing.

Last edited by Toprem; 04-28-13 at 06:09 AM.
amaquin
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #43

Tivia said:
Raw rips versus compressed versions? Are you trying to start a raw vs. lossless vs lossy video flamewar?

Stalk
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #44

amaquin said:
Raw rips versus compressed versions? Are you trying to start a raw vs. lossless vs lossy video flamewar?

I see you've never met Tivia and Toprem before, Amaquin!