TheSafehouse

"Life is pain Highness. Anyone who tells you different is selling something." -- The Princess Bride

Safehouse Forums

Safehouse Site Info

The end is nigh

FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Biggwin
Veteran

Mother @#$%, @#$% sucking @#$%holes
Reply With Quote   #1

So tonight I get a phone call from a credit card company stating that I owe them $19,500 with interest climbing daily.

I am very familiar with the whole give a little bit of information to get more information back routine. I made him give me all of my information, which he had. Social security number, Home phone (unlisted), Cell (unlisted), Work Number (big corporation, unlisted), said he talked to my wife (had her cell number) and at one point they say my wife told her that I was in the hospital with kidney failure on dialisis(sp), which i do not have nor ever did or was, and was why she was talking for me.

I asked him to fax me a copy of the charges at which point he told me that because I was asserting these were not my charges he could not do that. To which I was very lery of. So other than acknowledging that my name was Biggwin I never gave him any other information (never even repeated my information back as he read it to me, nor did I agree that it was my information even though it was) but asked him for his contact information and told him someone would contact him tomorrow.

So unless my wife has a secret gambling addiction and is getting her butt kicked I can account for 90% of all my cash spent in the time frame he gave for the charges. Going through the wife's closet there is nothing there she didn't tell me she bought when she bought it... so I am guessing I have been ID thieved!

Xynn
Veteran

Re: Mother @#$%, @#$% sucking @#$%holes
Reply With Quote   #2

First thing in the morning call the compan yourself. This whole thing sounds VERY fishy. Credit card companies are supposed to send you statements when you demand them. His refusal to send you anything makes it sound like maybe hes the one trying to commit fraud. I would call your company and ask them what is going on, and maybe even put a temporary freeze on your credit line to make sure no one tries to grab it without you putting a release on it first.

Cantatus
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #3

Did he give you his contact information? If so, and he's attempting to commit credit fraud, that's definitely something that should be brought to the attention of the authorities.

Lilum
Ask me about Testosterone!

Reply With Quote   #4

Things like this make me feel less like crap about my crappy credit rating.

deuce
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #5

how does one commit more fraud by having your personal information already? Wouldnt he just use it to get credit cards and the sort in his name?

No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma
Loreleli
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #6

Contact Clark Howard via e-mail or clal during his show. Say nothing to anyone over the phone. They will send you a letter if it is legit. When you receive the letter, you have 30 days to contest the debt; if not, then you acknowledge the debt by default.

http://clarkhoward.com/

He's a national radio personality who's a consumer advocate for years.

Here's his list of scams:

http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/6/

It might have been someone phishing to confirm your info. If you have a debt, they do not need your social security info at all. They will have an account number for them to use to track the debt. Do you shread or burn your junk mail? Do you drop off all bills at the US Post Office verses mail box?

Georgia has a huge meth problem, and users funds their addiction by robbing mailboxes. I take all mail to the USPO.

Estebar
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #7

Note, you should look up the phone information for the company separately and use that to call back for more information instead of the number he gave you.

Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #8

I called the number on their web page and he is legit... now have to figure out what the hell happened!

Ponzi
Minister of Insight

Reply With Quote   #9

I'd still be careful; the web page could be bogus as well. That whole "you owe us money, no I'm not telling you why" thing makes it sound like this is a shady operation at best.

Loreleli
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #10

Biggwin said:
I called the number on their web page and he is legit... now have to figure out what the hell happened!
Anyone can have a web page, contact better Business Burea (BBB) and the Attorney General of the State ( In GA they are how a company can incorporate/license to practice in the state) to see if he/they are legit.

Not until he/they send you a letter to collect the debt, you have no neccessary action. A phone call means nothing. Whatever you do, do not acknowledge the debt or make any statements that can be construed as recognizing it. Collection agency wants 1 thing: money. They don't care it it's yours or Jimmy Joe Bob down the steet, no matter how friendly they seem on the phone.

Please contact a consumer advocate and/or a lawyer. If you are the victim of identifity theft, this is only the start.

From Clark Howard, the link I provided above:

Identity Theft Guide

If someone is using your identity and cashing your checks or credit cards, you should:
Report the situation immediately to your bank or credit card company. You may not have monetary liability because forgery and/or fraud is involved, but you will want the companies to be aware of the problem, as this is something that could affect your credit. In addition, follow these instructions to fully protect yourself:

a) Contact all three credit bureaus and issue a fraud alert. Check your credit report six months later and look for items you don't recognize.
b) Provide a copy of your driver's license to each agency's fraud unit in order to register an affidavit.
c) Contact the proper authorities in writing, via certified receipt request.
d) Inform your local police department, Social Security Administration and all creditors with whom you have accounts.

Credit bureaus:
Equifax: 800-525-6285
Experian: 888-397-3742
Transunion: 800-680-7289
SSA Fraud Hotline: 800-269-0271

If a thief steals your identity and begins racking up debt:
A) Contact the fraud units of the three credit reporting agencies. Request that your account be flagged and add a victim's statement saying, "MY ID has been used to fraudulently apply for credit. Call me at this number to verify all applications." Find out how long the fraud alert will be posted and how to extend it if you need to. Check your credit report and look for items you don't recognize.

B) Contact your credit card companies and financial institutions to report the fraud. Get new cards, have old accounts colsed with a memo stating, "account closed at customer's request." Follow up in writing.

C) Call the police and get the crime on record, then get a copy of the police report. Keep a log of all conversations including date, name, phone number, and the information provided.

D) Notify the Federal Trade Commission, which keeps a database of identity thefts. Phone: (888) FTC-HELP; Address: FTC, CRC-40, Washington D.C. 20580.

E) Notify you bank and if necessary, cancel checking and savings accounts and get new account numbers. Request a password that may be used in every transaction. Get a new ATM card, account number and password. Don't use your SS # or birthdate as a password.

F) Don't pay any bill or part of a bill resulting from identity theft.
----------------------------------------
I'm by no means an expert, but I would recommend calling Clark's show. He's awesome.

Last edited by Loreleli; 06-01-07 at 03:54 PM.
Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #11

a-f done. it is really a legit bill through capitol one, filed police report, claim being investigated.

Morvran
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #12

So you're saying that someone got ahold of card numbers or the like and charged a bunch of **** on your account?

Morvran McGuinness {Shanks} *retired Barbarian rogue of the North, Vallon Zek
The more you leave dead, the less you need to watch your back
Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #13

yep

Loreleli
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #14

best of luck with it! keep us posted.

FYI: capital one is a card that's listed by Clark as shady business practices with fees/percentages, etc.

Talius
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #15

Did you get a listed statement? What neat things did "you" buy?

Morvran
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #16

Yeah I wanna know what they bought out of morbid curiousity.

Of course I also want them to be strung up by their testicles.

Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #17

Talius said:
Did you get a listed statement? What neat things did "you" buy?
It is weird, because it was fraud there are extra steps to happen before I get those statments. But so am I.

Bubba
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #18

So what happened?

Bubba

Remember its easy to call another person an idiot, it is much harder to prove you are not one yourself!- Bubba Love
Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #19

Long story short... Turns out it was a relative. They didnt realy buy anything grand, just a lot of little bs.

Loreleli
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #20

ouch. sorry to hear it. That sucks when it's family - even if it's distant relatives.

FarSky
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #21

Have them arrested, then sue them for damages.

Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #22

FarSky said:
Have them arrested, then sue them for damages.
No cash to be had, so I am paying the debt off myself

Ponzi
Minister of Insight

Reply With Quote   #23

Biggwin said:
No cash to be had, so I am paying the debt off myself
Are you some sort of a doormat? File a report with the police and press charges. You aren't responsible for their crimes. They committed fraud in your name. While I know that it's common to cut some slack for family members, this is completely ridiculous. They stole your identity and nearly $20,000.00!!! It's quite clear that they have no consideration for anyone but themselves. Do you think that someone that greedy would do the same for you if the situation were reversed?

Qutsmnie
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #24

Just cause a family membered charged in your name doesnt mean you are responsible for the charges unless you are their guardian.

I mean you have two avenues here
1) the credit card company cant legally hold you responsible for the charges on a credit card you never agreed to own.
2) you can go to town on your family member

1) is specially true if you didnt get the credit card which is amigious in this thread. I mean if you didnt get the credit card then you signed and agreed to nothing. If you got the card then its harder because the line of credit legally exist. But if you werent the party that agreed to the card they might as well have just send you a bill that says "we got defrauded and now were pissing in the wind". I cant remember if I posted on this thread or not but i remember thinking well if you didnt sign anything, electronically sign, or otherwise agree to the existance of the credit line how are you legally responsible for the existance of the charges? This is between the victim (the credit card company) and the criminal (your family member). This is not your problem, and I suspect a good lawyer can get it resolved that way for you.

Get yourself a lawyer. There is no way that a lawyer cant resolve this cheaper for you after billing unless there is more to this story.

Yalum
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #25

This happens a lot, and the thieves get away with it not because of the law, but because of the family dynamics.

Even if you're willing to put your brother away for three to five, can you handle your parents' reaction? Is twenty grand worth having your mother never look you in the eyes again?

Koru
Queen Of Chaos

Reply With Quote   #26

You know, thinking about if, if someone in my family had the contempt for me to do that to me I honestly don't even know if I'd be thinking straight enough to file charges, let alone just let it slide and pay the fraud myself and do nothing. In such a case the rest of my family would probably prefer charges to the alternative as the alternative might result in more damage. But then I don't cope well with betrayal. You're certainly far more even tempered than most people I know about this.

DarthEnderX
Count Monster-rod
Von Hugenstein

Reply With Quote   #27

Biggwin said:
They didnt realy buy anything grand, just a lot of little bs.
What does that mean? They bought 20k worth of gum?

Jhani Vandolay
Smarm Goddess

Reply With Quote   #28

So are you joining the @#%$ Sister club with Kinare and Caowyth? :/

Meddik
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #29

Yalum said:
Even if you're willing to put your brother away for three to five, can you handle your parents' reaction? Is twenty grand worth having your mother never look you in the eyes again?
Well, I'd gladly pay 20 grand to put my sister in jail and not have to put up with my mom.

Oh, wait. That's not what you meant, is it?

Government is like an anus; itís necessary, but itís never going to be anything pretty or worth celebrating.
- Frank J., www.imao.us
DarkOmen42
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #30

Is there some particular reason you're willing to keep their ass out of a jam after they were willing to do that **** to you?

Marauder Harabakc - Goat
ciba
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #31

I don't care who it is, you should dispute the debt/charges. Even if it's a family member, they need help. If you suck this up and cover for them, they will do it again.

Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #32

long story and it ****s me more than the cash does.

Bubba
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #33

Biggwin has made his choice no reason to bash him for it after he was nice enough to tell us his story. Sorry to hear you won't get your money back or justice. Remember soap in a sock....

For those of you who can't think of a reason not to press charges, what if it was his dying grandmother that is senile (sp?) and got suckered into the home shopping network. (Just an example, not what HAPPENED!!) There is always more to a story then you know, I think everyone here has had people wrongly assume things about them before right....

Bubba

likenew
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #34

i doubt a senile old person would have the ability to sign up for a credit card offer, of somebody else, nor themselves. sounds more like something a young person would do though, or an immature "adult". if it were a child, i could see not pressing charges...but the parents should pay, even if its a brother or sister who are the parents. if it is an immature "adult", well they should pay too. and if you worry about what your mother would think about making them pay for the 20k they put on your name, shouldn't that mother think even worse of the child who spent that 20k that wasn't theres?

either way, the post several posts above that said you didn't sign for the card, or order it, or in any way even see the piece of mail means you don't owe a dime to anyone and it shouldn't have any negative effects on you at all.

likenew shinycoins of cazic thule

My first blog
Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #35

You are correct I do not owe a dime. However, the only way to dispute it is to say that I did not make the charges and the next step would be that I have to file a police report. There is enough evidence to prove who did it so that would mean that they would face what ever charges - grand theft, identity theft, and mail fraud involves.

In the first place they do not have the money to pay it back. So doing this will not help me I know I wouldnt have to pay it back at that point so in a way it would but... I know they did not do this to hurt me they were in a bad place and most of the charges were medical. I don't feel I would gain anything by f'n up their life any more than it currently is. (I am not making excuses for them or what they did, btw) I truely believe they are sorry for what they did, but trust me they no longer have access to my house nor do I trust them farther than I can throw them!

I talked the CC company down to 12,000 and promptly went to the bank and got a small loan and paid the CC off. So for awhile I am stuck with a $300 a month payment and a sinking feeling everytime I see the person that f'd me!

Biggwin
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #36

And for the record, there are people I would not hesitate to press charges on...