Safehouse Forums

Safehouse Site Info

The end is nigh

FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gamanern
Registered Member

New EQ Parser - GamParse
Reply With Quote   #1

Hiyas, hopefully this is the right place to post this (Rogues make DPS, parser shows DPS ... )

So I have been writing a new parser for EQ which I would like to release to you all, and if you wish, you can pass this along to anyone else that is interested.

I am still developing features for it, and any reasonable features (or dreaded bug reports) will be looked at, anything too hard will likely lead to internal bleeding ...

I called it GamParse, and I aimed it at being both easy to use, as well as including as much analyzing power as I could reasonably build.

If you are interested you can head to my site to check it out:

http://gambosoft.com/forum/

If you would like to head straight to the download page, you can find it here:

Download Page

While it still has a few things to add, it has most of the tools people would generally use, including:

* Process your existing log, and once loaded, it continues to check for updates.
* If you don't wish to load your history, you can open up a log in monitor mode.
* Single screen display, showing all fights down the left, and on the right your choice of views.
* The ability to combine fights into a single event, so combine Zi Thuuli to see it as a single fight instead of 4 pieces.
* Fight overview, showing all the fights, an estimate of HP (sum of all visiable DPS), your own DPS for that fight, and a date and time stamp for the fight.
* Fight details, showing all the DPS against the target, ranked by total damage, showing total damage, DPS, scaled DPS, hits, max and avg hits, and damage done to the player.
--- The fight can be exported to HTML code for displaying on guild forums
--- Pets can be combined to their owners to show their complete DPS for the event (Mages and Beasties loved that one ...)
* Player breakdowns, including damage by type of hit, by critical, % as critical by total damage, as well as by hits, and your hit and accuracy rates.
* Spell casting tracking, so you can see how many of each spell the casters cast, and tracked over time (nice for checking how a heal rotation performed), also able to be posted as HTML for use on guild forums.

Here is an example of a DPS parse posted to my forum:

Sample DPS parse

And here is an example of a healing parse also on my forum:

Sample healing parse

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Re: New EQ Parser - GamParse
Reply With Quote   #2

Both files are Virus free

Installer version does not work, files are unrecognized.

Direct exe works, pulls up program just fine. Looks interesting will give it a try later when I log in. Been looking for something to replace Yalp.

Per chance do you take any suggestions on this parser?

"Check out my youtube channel. Featuring League of Legends, FFXIV:ARR, gameplay and commentary."
Catweazel
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #3

Tivia said:
Installer version does not work, files are unrecognized.
The parser requires dotNET 2. Installer worked fine for me.

Always good to get another parser. I have noticed a few bugs in the interface so far, but it does "parse"...will need to do some comparative parses with Yalp and Jalp.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #4

Catweazel said:
The parser requires dotNET 2. Installer worked fine for me.
I was well aware, possible the copy I downloaded was corrupted. Either way the actual program works just fine.

EDIT:
Ok got to use it a bit, not bad. Like some features, some not.

I like the fact that I only see Player Dps, this is a huge plus over Yalp. I also like the fact that I can merge player pets with the owner so it makes looking at their dps easier.

I dislike the fact that there is not a running overall dps, and a realtime mode. The Realtime in it currently is nowhere even close, you do not see the current fight for up to 30 seconds after its over. This is kinda useless for adjusting in the actual fight. If you could add a running total of overall dps and make it real time, I think this is a fantastic parser.

Last edited by Tivia; 08-25-07 at 08:41 PM.
Gamanern
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #5

Ah, you caught me out, I read your reply, but it never saw the edit as it didn't show as a new post ...

Firstly, real-time and 30seconds ...

The 30 seconds is the default log polling time, you can set that much shorter if you wish, down to 1 second, and you will see fights appearing 1 second after the target dies. Set the polling, hit save settings, and you are away. The polling should cause very little overhead on your computer, but it is a preference thing, I set mine around 10 seconds.

As for real time, do you mean seeing the current fights unfold, so halfway through an event you can see how much you have done so far?

I mostly use DPS parses later, maybe put on a certain weapon combination, kill 10 opponents, parse those 10 and see the results, change weapon combination and kill another 10, view again. You see the pattern, and of course the number you kill is up to you.

I find looking at DPS on an interval that is too small (like a single mob) is misleading as you may have some lucky hits, or you may have an unusual series of misses, but once you have maybe 50 to 100 opponents, you can see numbers with less of an impact from the random number generator.

Maybe I am addressing the wrong question here, let me know your thoughts.

Secondly, running DPS ...

I haven't thought too much about this one before, but from initial thoughts, as fights complete, I just sum up the total damage, and the total time you have attacked for, and generate a number from that.

I am hesitant to make it run for the entire file, as issues happen, events require you to back off, you will generally not see your DPS accurately reflected across the entire file.

Rather I was thinking of a 'DPS for the last X mobs' where you can set the number on the options page. I would be setting the number around 10-20 mark, but again, it would be a personal choice.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #6

Yes I am talking about real time, like yalp where I can watch fluctuations as they happen. Again it is a preference and I do keep in mind that random bad rolls of the die happen. As a rule though I like to know when dps happen as they happen so I can react if necessary. This is more of a feature that is useful on fights that have extended durations, typical experience grinding this is not real useful.

As for a running tally, while I realize its not quite as accurate as individual mobs, and the individual tallys are nice to scrutinize each fight, in the end sometimes I want to have an overall snapshot of how I am doing on grind mobs at a glance without having to specifically click on that fight.

These are just personal preferences, Yalp does the parsing how I like it as far as those go. The problem i have is it indiscrimitly parses everything..npcs the works. i really only want a way to eliminate npcs out of the parse, Combine Pets with their owners (as yours does), and sort the list to keep those who I specifically want to watch at the top and push anyone else down.

Gamanern
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #7

Ok, real time, is doable, but will require a little more thought it get it up and running, but it is something I can add to the list.

It will use the same rules as completed fights, where it is only recognised as a fight once YOU have attacked it.

This will require a new location, perhaps some area for 'active' fights, but I need to make sure I don't make the program more complex as a result, as keeping it simple and clean is one of my biggest drivers when deciding what to do.

As for Yalp's DPS over multiple mobs, it uses some weird thing (somethign like DPS run?) where it uses parts of fights, not the whole thing, so DPS could be a little screwy if certain hits don't form part of the DPS run.

It isn't too hard for me to simply sum up the last 10 (or whatever number chosen on the options page) fights for time YOU attacked, and your total damage and divide them out for a DPS number.

As you can tell, my preferrence is for a set number of fights, rather than the whole file. If you have any reasons it should be done differently, say so soon, before I start the coding on that section.

Catweazel
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #8

What is "scaled" and how is it calculated?

Gamanern
Registered Member

Reply With Quote   #9

Scaled is your damage over the duration of the encounter, while DPS is your damage over the time you were attacking.

Basically the same as ADPS, but I described it differently ... most people look at ADPS and get confused anyway, so why not have them get confused at my own term instead.

Catweazel
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #10

Gamanern said:
Scaled is your damage over the duration of the encounter, while DPS is your damage over the time you were attacking.

Basically the same as ADPS, but I described it differently ... most people look at ADPS and get confused anyway, so why not have them get confused at my own term instead.
Hopefully you don't mind these questions here.

The duration of the encounter is calculated as the time of the first recorded hit by anyone up to the death message of the monster? (i.e. the first time the mob name appears in the log?)

*My* dps is calculated as my first hit to my last hit? Does my death end the calculation at all? (e.g. for some longer events I could be battle rezzed).

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #11

Gamanern said:
Ok, real time, is doable, but will require a little more thought it get it up and running, but it is something I can add to the list.

It will use the same rules as completed fights, where it is only recognised as a fight once YOU have attacked it.

This will require a new location, perhaps some area for 'active' fights, but I need to make sure I don't make the program more complex as a result, as keeping it simple and clean is one of my biggest drivers when deciding what to do.

As for Yalp's DPS over multiple mobs, it uses some weird thing (somethign like DPS run?) where it uses parts of fights, not the whole thing, so DPS could be a little screwy if certain hits don't form part of the DPS run.

It isn't too hard for me to simply sum up the last 10 (or whatever number chosen on the options page) fights for time YOU attacked, and your total damage and divide them out for a DPS number.

As you can tell, my preferrence is for a set number of fights, rather than the whole file. If you have any reasons it should be done differently, say so soon, before I start the coding on that section.
No worries, it is your code afterall

Like I said it is just personal preference to see the running tally, however I personally would be just as happy too see Individual fights displayed In a display automatically after the fight is over, vs me having to click over to it. I run dual monitors is why I like this feature of Yalp, so I can see my parsing at all times. If it just updated the display to the most recent fight automatically that would suit my purpose well enough. At worst I can always run yalp in conjunction for extended duration fights to micro manage dps and then compare it against GamParse after the results are done. Being able to keep players seperate from npcs is huge for me and a feature I really like, makes it vastly easier to post results.

So perhaps just change it to when a new fight comes up on the display, it auto switches to that information, as a display most recent sort of thing?