TheSafehouse

I really am important? So the way I feel when I'm drunk is correct? -Fry, Futurama

Safehouse Forums

Safehouse Site Info

The end is nigh

FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Need computer help, pretty sure Im screwed.
Reply With Quote   #1

While eating breakfast this morning I heard some kind of high pitched whine, got up and noticed it was coming from my computer. Turned monitors on and saw that it was sitting at a BSOD. Turned it off and back on and when it attempted to boot I got this:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

and then something about repairing it with my windows CD. Unfortunately, every attempt I try to make of booting from my CDs (have tried several) they all restart or BSOD when it gets to the windows setup menu or BSOD while I am in the Repair Mode. Any idea how to fix this ****? Also wtf would I have to do in the repair mode? Just chkdsk?

oh btw, worst april fool's ever, pranked by life ftl.

Master Tailor Toprem Spaztastic, level 75 Drizzlecaller of Karana. Member of Clan Ta Veren

#1 Druid on Prexus.

Last edited by Toprem; 04-01-11 at 11:06 AM.
Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Re: Need computer help, pretty sure Im screwed.
Reply With Quote   #2

Hate to say it, but you may need a tech to look at it.

The whine could be a cpu fan and or hard drive. Given it caused a BSOD, it could be a cpu fan or a hard drive.

Since it continues to BSOD during repairs, it could be a cpu fan, hard drive, ram or a motherboard. This is one of those cases that is really difficult to troubleshoot without physically seeing it. Outside a lucky guess anyhow.

"Check out my youtube channel. Featuring League of Legends, FFXIV:ARR, gameplay and commentary."
Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #3

Tivia said:
Hate to say it, but you may need a tech to look at it.

The whine could be a cpu fan and or hard drive. Given it caused a BSOD, it could be a cpu fan or a hard drive.

Since it continues to BSOD during repairs, it could be a cpu fan, hard drive, ram or a motherboard. This is one of those cases that is really difficult to troubleshoot without physically seeing it. Outside a lucky guess anyhow.
the whine was coming from my speakers, the same kind of noise I get if I crash while playing some game. I dont think it is the fans, I can hear my fans running.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #4

fans and hard drives can feedback through speakers.

What is your cpu temp showing in bios? normal?

Got a memtestx86 cd or flash drive to test the ram?

If both of those pass tests, you may have a failed hard drive. Given your error that sounds to be the most likely culprit.

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #5

Tivia said:
fans and hard drives can feedback through speakers.

What is your cpu temp showing in bios? normal?

Got a memtestx86 cd or flash drive to test the ram?

If both of those pass tests, you may have a failed hard drive. Given your error that sounds to be the most likely culprit.
I dont think my BIOS can show the temperature, Ive never seen any kind of option to display it if it can. Ive got a memtest CD here somewhere. Right now I am trying to do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

but now the damn windows setup page freezes when I try to make any kind of selection.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #6

The easier way to do that and the more through..

Load your XP cd and let it run. When it gives you a chance to install or load recovery console enter the console. This will bring you into a DoS screen where you can log into your windows partition. Once you do this type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes and let it run. If that fails, your hard drive is most likely shot.

On the bright side, it will be a good excuse to get rid of that shitty os and all its problems once and for all.

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #7

Tivia said:
The easier way to do that and the more through..

Load your XP cd and let it run. When it gives you a chance to install or load recovery console enter the console. This will bring you into a DoS screen where you can log into your windows partition. Once you do this type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes and let it run. If that fails, your hard drive is most likely shot.

On the bright side, it will be a good excuse to get rid of that shitty os and all its problems once and for all.
I tried doing a chkdsk /r when I finally got to the screen and it didnt crash, but it evidently crashed while doing it and I think that was the last time I was even able to get to the recovery console, so I was never able to attempt what I posted.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #8

Sounding like hard drive, though that isn't 100% just the most likely.

Got a spare hard drive you can "attempt" to install windows on just to see if it completes?

Talius
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #9

If it's crashing just getting into the recovery console from a CD boot, it sounds like something more fundamental is wrong. Motherboard, CPU, or RAM problems.

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #10

Talius said:
If it's crashing just getting into the recovery console from a CD boot, it sounds like something more fundamental is wrong. Motherboard, CPU, or RAM problems.
It didnt crash or give errors while running memtest. However I tried installing XP to and old IDE drive that came with this computer, all it had on it afaik was HD movies (didnt format it to make sure, it had enough room to install XP). However it stalled at 99% while copying files to install, turned it off and back on and got a BSoD while trying to install it again, tried again and it just froze at the setup screen. So yeah, **** me in the goatass, looks like I need a new computer.

posting from my PS3 sucks ass.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #11

Toprem said:
It didnt crash or give errors while running memtest. However I tried installing XP to and old IDE drive that came with this computer, all it had on it afaik was HD movies (didnt format it to make sure, it had enough room to install XP). However it stalled at 99% while copying files to install, turned it off and back on and got a BSoD while trying to install it again, tried again and it just froze at the setup screen. So yeah, **** me in the goatass, looks like I need a new computer.

posting from my PS3 sucks ass.

Or..go buy a cheap $40 hard drive just to verify. If it did memtest but fails while installing, I remain convinced the hard drive is at least Partially at fault.

Besides the original error message is due to the MBR getting corrupted/deleted, which usually won't happen outside a hdd issue.

Toprem
v. Resident Grammarian

Reply With Quote   #12

Tivia said:
Or..go buy a cheap $40 hard drive just to verify. If it did memtest but fails while installing, I remain convinced the hard drive is at least Partially at fault.

Besides the original error message is due to the MBR getting corrupted/deleted, which usually won't happen outside a hdd issue.
well like I said, it failed on that other HDD too, so I really wouldn't want to waste money trying another HDD.

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #13

Toprem said:
well like I said, it failed on that other HDD too, so I really wouldn't want to waste money trying another HDD.
Ah, my apologies. I missed the reference and thought you were talking about the same hard drive.

Ok, yep..likely the motherboard then.