TheSafehouse

I really am important? So the way I feel when I'm drunk is correct? -Fry, Futurama

Safehouse Forums

Safehouse Site Info

The end is nigh

FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ackar
Veteran

Michael Bay says 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' are aliens, reinvents origin story
Reply With Quote   #1

Michael Bay says 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' are aliens, reinvents origin story

At the annual Nickelodeon upfront presentation last week, über-producer Michael Bay revealed details for Platinum Dunes’ upcoming live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, including a new origin story for the half-shell heroes that is sure to raise the ire of diehard fans.

“When you see this movie, kids are going to believe one day these turtles actually do exist when we are done with this movie,” said Bay as he took the stage to discuss his new vision for the reptilian reboot. “These turtles are from an alien race, and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely loveable.”

In the original mythology, four baby turtles fall into the sewer and come into contact with glowing radioactive ooze, which mutates them into four bad-ass warriors trained in ninjutsu by astute rodent Splinter. But could the rewriting of the Turtles’ origin story dissuade some fans from embracing the newest incarnation? A comic book-to-movie adaptation’s worst nightmare is bad pre-publicity, and Bay may have generated that in about 30 words.

On the flip side, it might seem outrageous to non-fans of the series that Teenage Mutant Ninja purists are offended by the new mythos of Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo. Truth, we might sound a wee bit ridiculous when we cry out, “I can’t believe Bay says they’re aliens when they’re obviously derived from radioactive slime!” But Bay is essentially erasing almost 30 years of love for transmogrified adolescent reptile ninjas by claiming each turtle is less of a fearsome, fighting toxic anomaly and more of a forest green E.T. with nunchucks.

DarthEnderX
Count Monster-rod
Von Hugenstein

Re: Michael Bay says 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' are aliens, reinvents origin stor
Reply With Quote   #2

So basically, to avoid having to use a new script, he's just replacing the Transformers with Ninja Turtles.

Kambic
Veteran

Re: Michael Bay says 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' are aliens, reinvents origin stor
Reply With Quote   #3

No, they are not aliens.

Read title please.

Xynn
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #4

Maybe they are mutant aliens?

Yeah no, this is garbage. But itll be huge because kids want to see big explosions and cool special effects. Michael Bay is becoming the *** **** of the US. Except you know... his movies make a TON of money.

Zeno
E-peen attack now has chance of causing Stun!

Reply With Quote   #5

I hate Michael Bay. Transformers was already ruined and made a mockery of, now he wants to crap all over my beloved TMNTs?

What's next? Put him in charge of a Ghostbusters movie?

Ruccus
Administrator

Reply With Quote   #6

Kambic said:
No, they are not aliens.

Read title please.
That's what I was thinking - the words 'turtles' and 'mutant' aren't open for discussion.

I haven't seen Uwe Boll lately - are we sure he hasn't killed Michael Bay and is wearing him like a suit?

Matheren
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #7

Oh my ****ing god.

MAYBE THEY CAN USE ALIEN LASERGUNS AND SPLINTER CAN BE ANOTHER ALIEN FROM THE PLANET RATTO AND THEY HIDE IN THE SEWERS BECAUSE THE SUN IS DANGEROUS TO THEIR ALIEN KIND

DarthEnderX
Count Monster-rod
Von Hugenstein

Reply With Quote   #8

I mean, if we can all step back from being insane fanboys for a second. It's actually not any stupider than their REAL origin.

Of the two main taglines for this story, "Ninja Turtles now aliens" is actually far less offensive to me than "Michael Bay making TMNT movie".

Last edited by DarthEnderX; 03-19-12 at 08:39 PM.
Zeno

Reply With Quote   #9

DarthEnder said:
I mean, if we can all step back from being insane fanboys for a second. It's actually not any stupider than their REAL origin.

Of the two main taglines for this story, "Ninja Turtles now aliens" is actually far less offensive to me than "Michael Bay making TMNT movie".
I loved the cartoon intro, seeing innocent little baby turtles get mutated into badass teenage mutant ninja turtles.

So yes, it does make a difference to me. It implies they were never turtles to begin with, as any species from another planet could not be turtles by definition.

Nenjin
Safehouse Staff Infection

Reply With Quote   #10

I can let go of my childhood enjoyment of TMNT, bad movies and all. But basic title/content agreement? That's going to take some serious head trauma to let go of.

I didn't even read the news article on CNN when I saw it, I knew it was going to be ****. Now I can add a facepalm to that. I think Bay has decided the internet can suck it and now he's just intentionally goading people.

chmod said:
I don't want to live in a world where there are no consequences for being stupid. A few thousand years ago these users would have been eaten by lions.
injijo
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #11

DarthEnder said:

It IS dumber than the real origin by virtue of the existance of a real origin. Changing a cornerstone detail of a 30 year IP is dumber than the IP being dumb from the beginning. Additionally, it takes a true ****ing egomaniac to actually do it.

I do however agree that "Michael Bay makes TMNT movie" is worse than "Ninja Turtles are Aliens." Unfortunatly, in this case they are both true, which is horrific.

.9 repeating is not and will never be equal to 1
Zeno

Reply With Quote   #12

injijo said:
It IS dumber than the real origin by virtue of the existance of a real origin. Changing a cornerstone detail of a 30 year IP is dumber than the IP being dumb from the beginning. Additionally, it takes a true ****ing egomaniac to actually do it.

I do however agree that "Michael Bay makes TMNT movie" is worse than "Ninja Turtles are Aliens." Unfortunatly, in this case they are both true, which is horrific.
Everything said here.

Michael Bay sucks.

Andurian
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #13

His lifes goal is to set up situations that allow him to blow up the most ****.

The bombing of Alcatraz in The Rock was his first hit, now he's a junky.

As an aside, I cannot believe it's the same man that did The Rock anymore.

"Life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves." - Bill Hicks
Pearll
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #14

The Ninja Turtles are not aliens. Why? Because they were created by the same accident that gave Daredevil his powers. Of course, Daredevil was never named, but it was done intentionally. Remember that the comics were started as a parody of the genre.

Also, the new comic book series kick ass. Seriously. Check them out. The origin is slightly changed, but it still works.

Yalum
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #15

Suddenly, Miyamoto Usagi is Bucky O'Hare.

Koru
Queen Of Chaos

Reply With Quote   #16

Ruccus said:
I haven't seen Uwe Boll lately - are we sure he hasn't killed Michael Bay and is wearing him like a suit?
For the record, if anyone makes a movie with that plot I'd be interested in seeing it if only to figure out if anyone would ever catch on to our pro/antagonist's little skinsuit secret. In the directors edition I'm sure no one would and the creature would go on to receive an Oscar and replace script writers with 11 year old kids on a sugar high without anyone ever suspecting or caring. But I'm sure the theatrical would have him uncovered, slain and then a happy ending with sunshine, exploding rainbows and slo-mo rain of kittens at the end.

Deltar Battlewall
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #17

Pearll said:
The Ninja Turtles are not aliens. Why? Because they were created by the same accident that gave Daredevil his powers. Of course, Daredevil was never named, but it was done intentionally. Remember that the comics were started as a parody of the genre.

Also, the new comic book series kick ass. Seriously. Check them out. The origin is slightly changed, but it still works.
omg... Daredevil is an alien! It all makes sense now.

likenew
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #18

Maybe they should call it Adult Alien Ninja Turtloids to avoid copyright infringement issues?

likenew shinycoins of cazic thule

My first blog
Ponzi
Minister of Insight

Reply With Quote   #19

Matheren said:
Oh my ****ing god.

MAYBE THEY CAN USE ALIEN LASERGUNS AND SPLINTER CAN BE ANOTHER ALIEN FROM THE PLANET RATTO AND THEY HIDE IN THE SEWERS BECAUSE THE SUN IS DANGEROUS TO THEIR ALIEN KIND
I think they should hide in the sewers because sunlight makes their skin sparkle.

Also, turning them into aliens is stupid, but I'm not getting mad because, despite my love for them as a child, I now realize that they were nothing but poorly animated toy commercials. You may try to defend them by bringing up the original edgy black and white comics, but I, and 99.9999% of the kids who were into them had no clue they, or any other underground indie comic books existed.

Ruccus
Administrator

Reply With Quote   #20

likenew said:
Maybe they should call it Adult Alien Ninja Turtloids to avoid copyright infringement issues?
Adult Alien Hero Turtloids. But then why bother using the IP in the first place if you're going to change everything?

Bay has spoken up with a post on his website, noting:

“Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of ‘Ninja Turtles’ to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

So yeah dudes, just chill! He's just 'building a richer world'! So the teenage mutant ninja turtles are going to be neither mutants or turtles - the script is awesome! We've allocated $50 million for explosions, and a crisp $100 bill for the writing team!

Nenjin
Safehouse Staff Infection

Reply With Quote   #21

ruccus said:
We've Allocated $50 Million For Explosions, And A crisp $100 Bill For promised the writing team they could have ice cream and stay up real late!
Ftfy.

Xynn
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #22

Maybe the mutagen that mutates them is from aliens but they are still normal earth turtles?

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #23

*sigh*

Ok, I can excuse the Transformers thing, mostly because I didn't give a damn about the plot only big robots and **** blowing up. This however makes me cringe...

"Check out my youtube channel. Featuring League of Legends, FFXIV:ARR, gameplay and commentary."
Matheren
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #24

Ruccus said:
So yeah dudes, just chill! He's just 'building a richer world'! So the teenage mutant ninja turtles are going to be neither mutants or turtles - the script is awesome! We've allocated $50 million for explosions, and a crisp $100 bill for the writing team!
You're right. What the **** were we thinking ever doubting Michael Bay? The man's more than proven how much he loves and honors classic IPs. You can't fade his track record!

DarthEnderX
Count Monster-rod
Von Hugenstein

Reply With Quote   #25

Zeno said:
It implies they were never turtles to begin with, as any species from another planet could not be turtles by definition.
That may be true in science, but it's not even remotely true in fiction. A Kilrathi is an alien, but it's still clearly a tiger man. I mean, Usagi Yojimbo is still clearly a rabbit and he comes from a different dimension.

Ponzi said:
Also, turning them into aliens is stupid, but I'm not getting mad because, despite my love for them as a child, I now realize that they were nothing but poorly animated toy commercials. You may try to defend them by bringing up the original edgy black and white comics
Or the 2000s cartoon, which was also awesome.

Ruccus said:
Adult Alien Hero Turtloids.
I still don't see how alien is in any way mutually exclusive with any of the four words in the title. Being an alien doesn't prevent them from being teenagers, trained in ninjitsu, or turtles. They could also still be mutants of their own species.

Last edited by DarthEnderX; 03-20-12 at 05:22 PM.
Pearll
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #26

I propose that they be called "Teenage Alien Invader Ninja Turtles".

Lilum
Ask me about Testosterone!

Reply With Quote   #27

Ponzi said:
I think they should hide in the sewers because sunlight makes their skin sparkle.

Also, turning them into aliens is stupid, but I'm not getting mad because, despite my love for them as a child, I now realize that they were nothing but poorly animated toy commercials. You may try to defend them by bringing up the original edgy black and white comics, but I, and 99.9999% of the kids who were into them had no clue they, or any other underground indie comic books existed.
What about those of us who do remember the original comic books? Or like me who still have the PNP RPG based off of the original comics? Which was also completely awesome!

The origin story for the turtles is part of their coolness. I don't see why it needs to be changed. If there were a reason to change the origin to make it flow I could get it, but I see no need for this change.

Vilkata Tasavalt
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #28

Ah yes Palladium TMNT RPG. So much fun.
And yeah I have issues 5-50 of the original TMNT run... such fun comics.
And btw, all the headbands should be RED.

Pearll
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #29

Vilkata Tasavalt said:
And btw, all the headbands should be RED.
All the headbands should be black and white.

Deltar Battlewall
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #30

Lilum said:
What about those of us who do remember the original comic books? Or like me who still have the PNP RPG based off of the original comics? Which was also completely awesome!
What about me that can still recite most of the Turtle Power rap from memory? ... Yeah, I wish I was making that up.

PS: FWIW, the character creation from the TMNT RPG was pretty fun.

Pearll
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #31

Deltar Battlewall said:
What about me that can still recite most of the Turtle Power rap from memory? ... Yeah, I wish I was making that up.
At least you don't still get songs from the Coming Out of Their Shells Tour stuck in your head.

Not that I know anybody like that.

Vilkata Tasavalt
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #32

Pearll said:
All the headbands should be black and white.
Fair enough... but we live in a color world, so if they were to be made in color, they should all be red :P

Deser
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #33

Lilum said:
Which was also completely awesome!
FYI - All further statements like the one above should be phrased is some sort of variant of "Totally Awesome Dude". "Cowabunga" is also an acceptable substitute.

ShadowCross
Ring Administrator

Reply With Quote   #34

http://nerdbastards.com/2012/03/21/t...ising-results/

ShadowCross
Rogue at Heart, Keeper of the Ring, Safehouse Administrator
Retired: ShadowCross - Blade of Tirion, Teir'dal Shadowblade (82), Member of Wind of Tranquility, Ant. Bayle Server, EQ
Retired: Shadowcross, Night Elven Hunter (85), Leader of Túatha Dé Danann, Sen'jin-EU, WoW
Retired: Shadowcross (Minmatar Clan Sebiestor) & Tebryan (retired Caldari Deteis), Members of Fnord Works, Tranquility, EVE
Achiever 40.00%, Explorer 100.00%, Killer 26.67%, Socializer 33.33%
Kambic
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #35

Boy, this is really starting to get heated, and by heated mean redundant.
Off topic, but I sure do miss the days of proofreading.

notwen
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #36

Ruccus said:

“Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of ‘Ninja Turtles’ to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."
I love this quote. It sounds like Bay actually thinks people should trust him of all people to 'build a rich world'. Almost as if he is completely unaware of his explosions-first story-last film making reputation. I used to think he was just a hack, but now I think he may actually have a mental condition.

Drole Defiantdagger
Veteran

Location: Back hanging out in the United States' old flaccid Florida

Reply With Quote   #37

Pearll said:
I propose that they be called "Teenage Alien Invader Ninja Turtles".
I hate you because this was the exact thought I had and you beat me to it, but I also respect you for it as well.

"So there's a layer of respect, admittedly, for your truthfulness, but it's peppered with hate. Hateful respect."

I'll just leave this here...

Deflagration - Ungiggity - Jointpaper - Pö - Proctologist - Fantastical - Pandarica
WoW - L a s t R i t e s - Firetree
Too many to play, too little time to do it.
Solanar
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #38

Kambic said:
Off topic, but I sure do miss the days of proofreading.
With all do respect
due respect.

FarSky
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #39

Zeno said:
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH. NO. No. Bad poster.

Koru
Queen Of Chaos

Reply With Quote   #40

FarSky said:
YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH. NO. No. Bad poster.
In the revamp the guys work for a secret government agency tasked with capturing ectoplasmic aliens from the planet Ghostron who access our planet through unstable transspacic wormholes and are seeking the plasmatrix that will allow them to wipe our race off the planet. Instead of lame grey uniforms the guys will be wearing totally awesome cool black carbonfiber spectric battle armor and will all be played by similar looking guys in their early 20s, their backgrounds will be like ex-SEAL or Special Forces and they pose as college students to disguise their unit's real underground high tech base. One of them will have a pregnant wife to add character and ****. Don't worry though, to keep it accessible to the teenage crowd we will have a visiting high school student who is unaware he has the map to the plasmatrix and gets dragged into all of this. It will be totally kick ass.... trust me.

PS: on a completely and totally unrelated subject, honest, anyone have Michael Bay's email address? I'm absolutely not asking because I have ideas for revamping ALL of our childhood franchises or heroes. It's just... something else. That's really cool. Honest.

Ackar
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #41

Zeno said:
Reminds me of an article from the Onion a few years ago...

Michael Bay Signs $50M Deal To **** Up 'ThunderCats' | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

DarthEnderX
Count Monster-rod
Von Hugenstein

Reply With Quote   #42

Ghost BJ.

ShadowCross
Ring Administrator

Reply With Quote   #43

Koru: your post is pure gold. Thanks for once again reminding me why I'm in love with you.

Pearll
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #44

Koru said:
In the revamp the guys work for a secret government agency tasked with capturing ectoplasmic aliens from the planet Ghostron who access our planet through unstable transspacic wormholes and are seeking the plasmatrix that will allow them to wipe our race off the planet. Instead of lame grey uniforms the guys will be wearing totally awesome cool black carbonfiber spectric battle armor and will all be played by similar looking guys in their early 20s, their backgrounds will be like ex-SEAL or Special Forces and they pose as college students to disguise their unit's real underground high tech base. One of them will have a pregnant wife to add character and ****. Don't worry though, to keep it accessible to the teenage crowd we will have a visiting high school student who is unaware he has the map to the plasmatrix and gets dragged into all of this. It will be totally kick ass.... trust me.
You forgot about the fact that the wife is pregnant with a half-ghost baby. Sequel, anyone?

Hell... They could revamp Danny Phantom with that story too! Tie both franchises together! Wouldn't that be awesome?

Soulstealer
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #45

"Teenage Alien Turtles Who Happen To Be Trained In Ancient Human Combat Style known As Ninjutsu" is sure going to be hard to work into the opening theme song.....

TATWHTBTIAHCSKAN Just rolls off the tongue!

Tivia
Weird Store
Snack Pervert

Reply With Quote   #46

Koru said:

PS: on a completely and totally unrelated subject, honest, anyone have Michael Bay's email address? I'm absolutely not asking because I have ideas for revamping ALL of our childhood franchises or heroes. It's just... something else. That's really cool. Honest.

I gotta be honest..I would watch that..

That said..Todays CAD is awesome.

likenew
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #47

hahahaha

DarthEnderX
Count Monster-rod
Von Hugenstein

Reply With Quote   #48

That guy's art style has shifted a bit.

Lilum
Ask me about Testosterone!

Reply With Quote   #49

Koru said:

I could be wrong but I think it may be michael.bay@hell.org if that's not right try .net, or .gov.

Matheren
Veteran

Reply With Quote   #50

Imagine M.A.S.K. where they're not guys with masks driving cars, they're actually subterranean lizard people who fly on pterodactyls?